Confirmed with Link: Nick Ritchie to Toronto (2x2.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Thats not necessarily true in my humble opinion. We have players that can really skate and some size

The coach has the mandate that type of play. Torts would have ripped mikyahev and Engvall apart if they didn't firecheck hard
Agreed about torts but is there proof Keefe mandated not to forechecker heavy?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
His skill set is actually something the Bruins lack. Take a look at there roster, they are currently one of the softest rosters in the NHL.
While their forwards are not Ritchie weigh class their backend is pretty big and the forwards they do have for heck heavy or at least tenaciously as is.
Hall is the softest I would say, but personally I don't see them as soft.
If you were to compare this seasons bruins to last seasons leafs forwards who would you consider softer? Minus the post season acquisitions

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
--------
I think most of my excitement about Ritchie is that his presence and toughness should help Mitch and Auston play their game. A little bit of a sherif on their line should help.

conversely if he plays on Tavares’ line he is the kind of player JT can turn into a star.

Due to the reported foot speed I always assumed he would end up on JT's line, also JT likes to cycle and this is a player that should be able to do that with him. Nylander chip in here too.

Reactions: banks

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think most of my excitement about Ritchie is that his presence and toughness should help Mitch and Auston play their game. A little bit of a sherif on their line should help.

conversely if he plays on Tavares’ line he is the kind of player JT can turn into a star.

I've always wanted to see Auston Matthews out there with another 6'4" prime aged beast with some aggression to his game. Matthews is a big player but I've never liked the dynamic where he's the big rig and other teams constantly target him - leading to a series of injuries over the early part of his career. Hoping Ritchie will help Matthews play a little taller and meaner, but what I'm secretly hoping for is a John Leclair type breakout playing with AM34.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Based on what we are seeing, no one will be targeting Tor. and AM in our own building next year. Ritchie, Simmonds and Gabriel gives you beef / grit on 3 of your 4 lines. Ritchie can score 20 easy with those 2.
Oh but Gabriel won’t play for the Leags didn't you hear. I rather Ritchie than Hyman. Guard dog on premises. Hyman couldn’t lick a stamp

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Our core is not established, they are locked up for a short time but they have had absolutely no success in the last 5 years. We have no idea if they ever will.
Besides non of those other teams have 50% of their cap tied up on 4 similar forwards.
This is going to be the anchor around our success until something changes

To be fair, these young cores rarely make the playoffs in their first season. Usually it isn’t until year 3.

So it’s 5 years of failure just because they overachieved early.

I mean, they should at least have won a playoff round at this point but some perspective is often needed around here.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Your excitement about Ritchie may turn into frustration. The guy takes a lot of stupid PIM's... Dubas better invest in some elite PKer's

Reactions: Morgs and Blowfish

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Based on what we are seeing, no one will be targeting Tor. and AM in our own building next year. Ritchie, Simmonds and Gabriel gives you beef / grit on 3 of your 4 lines. Ritchie can score 20 easy with those 2.

I think if a player is a dick and his job is to be a dick, it matters not who you have in your line up. Marchand is not going to be an angel just because Ritchie is in the line up. We witnessed Simmonds feed Chiarot his lunch and in the playoffs , Chiarot was still cheap shotting and hitting the Leafs with reckless abandoned. Where Ritchie can be effective is to be a steamroller and a forechecker that grinds down the D, wouldn't hurt if his job is to target the stars of other teams, steam roll Bergeron and Pasternack a few times, he will become an instant fan favorite.. A guy that size should be parked in front of the net.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
To be fair, these young cores rarely make the playoffs in their first season. Usually it isn’t until year 3.

So it’s 5 years of failure just because they overachieved early.

I mean, they should at least have won a playoff round at this point but some perspective is often needed around here.

Yes and they should also not have been blown out in 4 straight series deciding games where it seems like they weren't even competing, that's just terrible under any circumstances. Losing is one thing, looking like you have no idea how to compete at the most crucial moments is another thing entirely.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada

I doubt Gabriel will ever play in our lineup unless we play against the Rangers and in the unlikely event we need someone to stand up to Reaves (it's obvious the Rags only got him to keep Tom Wilson in check).

I'd rather Ritchie use his body and pot 20+ goals than have to be an enforcer.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I doubt Gabriel will ever play in our lineup unless we play against the Rangers and in the unlikely event we need someone to stand up to Reaves (it's obvious the Rags only got him to keep Tom Wilson in check).

I'd rather Ritchie use his body and pot 20+ goals than have to be an enforcer.
I would rather Ritchie use his body, pot 20 goals AND be an enforcer

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada

He can be a physical presence without dropping the mitts; if needed, he can answer the bell, but wanting all three on a consistent basis - that's asking a lot for a guy the B's essentially gave up on.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Your excitement about Ritchie may turn into frustration. The guy takes a lot of stupid PIM's... Dubas better invest in some elite PKer's

To be fair to Ritchie, the Bruins look like they told him to knock it off and he did:

2018-19 (900 minutes) - 26 minors
2019-20 (590 mins w/ Anaheim) - 19 minors
2019-20 (89 mins w/ Boston) - 2 minors
2020-21 (859 mins) - 11 minors

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Ritchie is pretty good. Not great.

It is hilarious to see the same people dumping on The Dube for not addressing team toughness and grit hating on this signing. Ritchie is big, nasty and dirty. And he can play. But the Dube haters gonna hate.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I saw an article today that was apparently talking about how Ritchie could be the next Tom Wilson. I say apparently as I didn't do much more than glance at the headline. :)

Reactions: saltming

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Ritchie is pretty good. Not great.

It is hilarious to see the same people dumping on The Dube for not addressing team toughness and grit hating on this signing. Ritchie is big, nasty and dirty. And he can play. But the Dube haters gonna hate.
Some hate it? I think it's more of a 'it's about time' kind of move if anything.
Imagine if he turns into the Leafs version of Wilson?
One can dream!

Reactions: egd27 and Morgs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad