Confirmed with Link: Nick Ritchie to Toronto (2x2.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I hope we can get a couple more good players that can’t juice things up a bit and hand out some law of the jungle. Ritchie,Gabriel and Simmonds is a step in the right direction. Not so much Simmonds but he can juice it up every once in a while. He’s paid his dues but he’s a soldier nonetheless

I agree. Preferably a guy on the backend. I'd love Bortuzzo.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I agree. Preferably a guy on the backend. I'd love Bortuzzo.
I was hoping to get Oleksiak but he was gone pretty quick taking a nice contract from Seattle. We do need that toughness on the backend. A couple nasty scrappers. Our guys are nice guys. Wrong attitude to play defense. Holl is a bit ugly and thats about it.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Whatever Ritchie has been and can become, I'll stick with my opinion that his most important need is to improve his conditioning. Put him in the gym with Rielly and Robertson, and encourage/cajole/shame him into getting into the best shape of his life. Target his endurance and muscle groups which, even if he can't improve his stride, will allow him to be a half step quicker and 5-10% more capable of going hard during his shifts, and being able to better recover when he's on the bench. If he's able to skate a bit faster for a bit longer during his shifts, the number of lazy penalties he takes will drop, and his effectiveness at forechecking will improve. Those two things alone would make him more valuable to the team, and might provide him with a stepping stone to realize some of his other potentials.

Agree 150%.

If Nick could drop 15-20 pounds, it will help him in all facets of his game, starting with skating and conditioning.

He’d still be a huge man and wouldn’t compromise how he plays the game. Would make him more dangerous and complete as a player.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Leaf fans will hate this guy, even though he's a decent player.

They are expecting a Tom Wilson, but he's not anything like that type of rambunctious player.

He commits the cardinal sin of being huge but not a consistent physical presence, which is an unforgivable sin in Toronto.

What's worse is that he has one major weakness - he's slow - that will make everyone think he's being lazy out there when in fact he's just slow.

So I have no doubt leafs fans will hate him.

That being said - he will be a decent player nonetheless. What he is is a surprisingly skilled player with soft hands and creativity, and who is responsible defensively as well. His size is a huge benefit and he uses it to his advantage on both ends to somewhat make up for his lack of speed, but he doesn't use that size in an uber aggressive way at all. At the same time, though, he IS a physical beast that can't be pushed around or intimidated, and can fight anyone, so there’s some of that there at least.

In short, he's a skill player, not a physical player. The dream is that he's a John LeClair that can drop the gloves, or failing that, at least a Nik Antropov.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Nick Ritchie is no Tom Wilson. But he's a heavy hitter and can def hold his own in a Fight/Scrum.

I dont really care about fights....biggest thing with me is the Leafs coaching staff needs to start implementing physical play in their schemes and game plan.

Start telling people to finish their checks and get involved in front of the net. These guys need to get fired up for the playoffs. Get emotionally involved.

Dubas and Keefe continues to neuter these guys by telling them things like "Stay out of the penalty box" "Dont get involved in the rough stuff" "Our powerplay is our enforcer"

Thats a soft-ass mentality and we'll never win a playoff series that way.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

They are expecting a Tom Wilson, but he's not anything like that type of rambunctious player.

He commits the cardinal sin of being huge but not a consistent physical presence, which is an unforgivable sin in Toronto.

What's worse is that he has one major weakness - he's slow - that will make everyone think he's being lazy out there when in fact he's just slow.

That being said - he will be a decent player nonetheless. What he is is a surprisingly skilled player with soft hands and creativity, and who is responsible defensively as well. His size is a huge benefit and he uses it to his advantage on both ends to somewhat make up for his lack of speed, but he doesn't use that size in an uber aggressive way at all. At the same time, though, he IS a physical beast that can't be pushed around or intimidated, and can fight anyone, so there’s some of that there at least.

In short, he's a skill player, not a physical player. The dream is that he's a John LeClair that can drop the gloves, or failing that, at least a Nik Antropov.

Speed shouldn't be an issue. Maroon has been a key factor in Tampa's cup wins and he's slower than Ritchie.

It's about heart and character and still being involved both Emotionally and Physically. Don't be a Frederick Gauthier

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The thing with Tampa Bay is...their star players all have a serious Edge to their game as well. A nasty side.

Kucherov/Pointe/Cirelli/Sergachev/Hedman/Cernak/Stamkos...everyone of those guys are not afraid to throw their weight around and get involved. It elevates their game because they don't play scared.

Forget the other Guys like Goodrow/Coleman/Maroon/Palat/Killorn/Mcdonough.

Our Core guys are simply just tooo soft Mathews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander/Reilly

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'll reserve opinion. But can also foresee alot of ppl hating him...

Here's hoping a fire is under his ass after getting cast aside by Boston (whom I expected to be the EXACT team he'd thrive in)

If there's any time to get on the treadmill, seek skating help and commit to your craft... its now AND your with a team that likely has the best resources to do it.

He's a wild card player, on a team that has tried, failed, lacked to develop his player type and a fan group that has been pushing for this type of player since Clark. Doesn't mean you have to be Wendel (let's not do this again)... but show some gumption, and there's a boat load of fans that'll chant your name. (See tucker, domi, Corson..heck even Belak, Orr )

Reactions: MJK

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Really hope he doesn't take as many minor penalties for us as he was with the ducks and Bruins

Their fans said he took lazy penalties and frustration penalties often. Can't have that happening with the leafs PK not being that good

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Really hope he doesn't take as many minor penalties for us as he was with the ducks and Bruins

Their fans said he took lazy penalties and frustration penalties often. Can't have that happening with the leafs PK not being that good
He took 11 minor penalties all of last season.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He took 11 minor penalties all of last season.
last season was his best, but he only played in one division and didn't have to play against other teams, with more agitators that could get under his skin. Years prior he was a consistently undisciplined player.

2019-2020 he had 97 PIMS in 48 games (78 with Ducks in 41 games and 19 with the Bruins in 7 games), and 1 fight, 92 PIMS and 46 minors)
2018-2019 he had 82 PIMS in 60 games (0 fights, 82 PIMS, and 41 minors)
2017-2018 he had 72 PIMS in 76 games (2 fights, 62 PIMS, and 31 minors)
2016 - 2017 he had 62 in 77 games (2 fights, so 52 PIMS and 26 minors)
2015 - 2016 he ha 37 in 33 games (1 fight, so 32 PIMS and 16 minors)

He has been very undisciplined in the past prior to last season. We need him to keep up that discipline and avoid slipping back to his bad habits from his first 5 years in the NHL

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
last season was his best, but he only played in one division and didn't have to play against other teams, with more agitators that could get under his skin. Years prior he was a consistently undisciplined player.

2019-2020 he had 97 PIMS in 48 games (78 with Ducks in 41 games and 19 with the Bruins in 7 games), and 1 fight, 92 PIMS and 46 minors)

He has been very undisciplined in the past prior to last season. We need him to keep up that discipline and avoid slipping back to his bad habits from his first 5 years in the NHL
I only looked at last 2019-2020 because that seemed insane (46 minors in 48 games), and that's not right.

50 of those 92mins of PIMS are misconducts. He had 21 minors that year, not 46. Still a lot, especially considering he doesn't draw many but not a crazy amount.

Edit:

2019-2020: 21 Minors (48 games)
2018-2019: 26 Minors (60 games)
2017-2018: 26 Minors (76 games)
2016-2017: 21 Minors (77 games)
2015-2016: 11 Minors (33 games)

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I only looked at last 2019-2020 because that seemed insane (46 minors in 48 games), and that's not right.

50 of those 92mins of PIMS are misconducts. He had 21 minors that year, not 46. Still a lot, especially considering he doesn't draw many but not a crazy amount.

Edit:

2019-2020: 21 Minors (48 games)
2018-2019: 26 Minors (60 games)
2017-2018: 26 Minors (76 games)
2016-2017: 21 Minors (77 games)
2015-2016: 11 Minors (33 games)
ah your right, didn't consider additional misconducts. Just searched NHL hockey fights and saw that Ritchie had 1 fight listed in 2019-2020 so just took off 5 minutes for the fight. Did the same for the other seasons.

Makes it look a lot better.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Nick Ritchie is no Tom Wilson. But he's a heavy hitter and can def hold his own in a Fight/Scrum.

I dont really care about fights....biggest thing with me is the Leafs coaching staff needs to start implementing physical play in their schemes and game plan.

Start telling people to finish their checks and get involved in front of the net. These guys need to get fired up for the playoffs. Get emotionally involved.

Dubas and Keefe continues to neuter these guys by telling them things like "Stay out of the penalty box" "Dont get involved in the rough stuff" "Our powerplay is our enforcer"

Thats a soft-ass mentality and we'll never win a playoff series that way.

babcock was the one who said our powerplay is our enforcer. However, the mentality hasn’t changed

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

He's also getting older though. Maturity does set in with some players (and sometimes doesn't, ie Kadri).

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Just came to post this. Ritchie will likely be the most hated Leaf next year; slow and soft they will say......

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

I agree. It seems when players come here with a bit of a rep for being physical they end up becoming just a big skill player and never do what they used to do for the other team. I fully believe they (management) keep thinking if they don't engage in rough stuff they will be awarded the extra PP's. They never do because the refs play the 'even up' game and if they don't commit penalties...they don't get PP's either. So, oddly enough...to get PP time you need to commit some penalties.

Look at Muzzin...he was hitting everything in site for the first 20 games of his stint here. Now...I can't even remember 1x this year that he laid out a guy. I don't believe it's injuries either...he was told to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad