Confirmed with Link: Nick Ritchie to Toronto (2x2.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I was searching for Ritchie's highlights and found the following:

So Ritchie has done something no other current Leaf could claim to have done: Not only did he score the game winner in a game 7 to claim the series, a tie-breaking goal in the 3rd when the score was 1-1, his goal "exorcised the demon" for a Ducks team that has lost 4 straight game 7 at home.

If he can only repeat this feat for the Leafs ....

..but does it count? .. the Oilers have barely been a NHL team for well over 20 years.... It's like when you were a kid and hit a homer off your little brother.. yeah its a homer butttttttt..... or when you played street hockey against younger kids and scored 21+ goals... yeah you had 7 hat tricks buttttt ... ;)

Last edited:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
3 Predictions for Ritchie.

1. He’s super excited to be a Leaf. Says he’s going to have “ a good summer” I take it he means getting in shape/working on skating. He trims down and gains foot speed. Patrols the left side of Marner and Matthews, plays 2nd PP and gets 25-25-50 points. Junior offensive ability finally translates to NHL. Plays smarter, picks spots for thunderous legal hits, becomes a fan favourite and playoff machine, helps us break through the 1st round. Dubas is hailed as a genius. Don Cherry crashes Stanley Cup parade.

2. “Good summer” means have fun, eat too much to bulk up, gains 15 pounds some of which is muscle, ends up being even slower, causing many late hit penalties and lengthy suspensions. Costs leafs many games including a penalty in overtime game 7 of first round ending up in the opposition win. Dubas is roasted for signing him

3. Starts on first line but can’t keep up. Takes too many penalties. Slides down to 3rd or 4th line where he plays better with smaller minutes and chips in 12-15 goals, some on the PP, while acting as the team face puncher because Simmonds is injured. People complain about his contract but he tops out as a Bottom 6 tough guy who has some skill like Simmonds. Makes little difference in the Team’s success in playoffs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

1. He’s super excited to be a Leaf. Says he’s going to have “ a good summer” I take it he means getting in shape/working on skating. He trims down and gains foot speed. Patrols the left side of Marner and Matthews, plays 2nd PP and gets 25-25-50 points. Junior offensive ability finally translates to NHL. Plays smarter, picks spots for thunderous legal hits, becomes a fan favourite and playoff machine, helps us break through the 1st round. Dubas is hailed as a genius. Don Cherry crashes Stanley Cup parade.

2. “Good summer” means have fun, eat too much to bulk up, gains 15 pounds some of which is muscle, ends up being even slower, causing many late hit penalties and lengthy suspensions. Costs leafs many games including a penalty in overtime game 7 of first round ending up in the opposition win. Dubas is roasted for signing him

3. Starts on first line but can’t keep up. Takes too many penalties. Slides down to 3rd or 4th line where he plays better with smaller minutes and chips in 12-15 goals, some on the PP, while acting as the team face puncher because Simmonds is injured. People complain about his contract but he tops out as a Bottom 6 tough guy who has some skill like Simmonds. Makes little difference in the Team’s success in playoffs.

Probabilities:
1) 10% - (of which 5% for being super excited to be a Leaf)
2) 5%
3) 85%

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Probabilities:
1) 10% - (of which 5% for being super excited to be a Leaf)
2) 5%
3) 85%

Not bad. Hard to say what the numbers are obviously but 3) does seem like it's by far the most likely scenario.

Reactions: nuck

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
from reading the Bruins board a couple days back, and sifting through the nonsense after he eventually signed with TOR, I noticed a couple things. One thing being was that he was an extremely polarizing player to their fanbase throughout the entirety of the season. Almost like an Engvall here. Lots of comments referencing lazy play, and a lack of desire to use his size. Almost identical beefs that I have with Engvall. There were also a crowd of people who were quick to point out his production and where he slotted in the lineup and poo poo any of his shortcomings. On paper, I like the name, and I have always kind of liked the player. But I really don't think he will come as I imagined. I don't think he will produce a ton of points outside of the top 6 or PP, and I am not too sure he has the ability to consistently play at a level that warrants him being there. Further, his hits/60 is more in line with an Adam Brooks and Jesse Puljujarvi than it is the premier hitters in the league, Indicating he doesn't finish his checks as much as a guy his size should. For example, his average TOI was 15.22 mins per game and he averages 7.11 hits in that 60 mins, whereas a guy like Adam Lowry was able to register 11.96 hits/60 with roughly the same amount of ice time. I recognize hits/60 is a rate and does not need to compared to average TOI, but it kind of shows how each player faired in similar roles. From that statistic alone, I can see why the fanbase would jump on him, especially if/when the offense dry's up. Not to mention, Adam Lowry was not the best at hits/60, nor was he overly close to the best. But had the most comparable role and TOI as Nick did from the list.

I guess we will have to just wait and see with Nick, I'll say I am cautiously optimistic that he can find the next gear. Still a young player with 1st round pedigree. Maybe wearing the blue and white will be that spark he needs

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
from reading the Bruins board a couple days back, and sifting through the nonsense after he eventually signed with TOR, I noticed a couple things. One thing being was that he was an extremely polarizing player to their fanbase throughout the entirety of the season. Almost like an Engvall here. Lots of comments referencing lazy play, and a lack of desire to use his size. Almost identical beefs that I have with Engvall. There were also a crowd of people who were quick to point out his production and where he slotted in the lineup and poo poo any of his shortcomings. On paper, I like the name, and I have always kind of liked the player. But I really don't think he will come as I imagined. I don't think he will produce a ton of points outside of the top 6, and I am not too sure he has the ability to consistently play at a level that warrants him being there. Further, his hits/60 is more in line with an Adam Brooks and Jesse Puljujarvi than it is the premier hitters in the league, Indicating he doesn't finish his checks as much as a guy his size should. For example, his average TOI is just over 15.22 mins per game and he averages 7.11 hits in that 60 mins, whereas a guy like Adam Lowry was able to register 11.96 hits/60 with roughly the same amount of ice time. I recognize hits/60 is a rate and does not need to compared to average TOI, but it kind of shows how each player faired in similar roles. From that statistic alone, I can see why the fanbase would jump on him, especially if/when the offense dry's up.

I guess we will have to just wait and see with Nick, I'll say I am cautiously optimistic that he can find the next gear. Still a young player with 1st round pedigree. Maybe wearing the blue and white will be that spark he needs

People get exiting because they think big guys will have a constant physical presence on every shift and then they get upset when it doesn't happen and call the player lazy.

It will happen here too with Ritchie, but that won't change that he's a decent player.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
People get exiting because they think big guys will have a constant physical presence on every shift and then they get upset when it doesn't happen and call the player lazy.

It will happen here too with Ritchie, but that won't change that he's a decent player.
I am going to remain optimistic and excited to watch him in a Leafs sweater, and I will give him a chance fully. I guess what I am trying to say is that of all the signings that were made this offseason, I think this one has the biggest stinker potential. Super moveable if so, and I still really like the signing. I just am not sure he will fill the net enough to stay in the top 6 like some imagine on here. Hopefully I am wrong on that

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I am going to remain optimistic and excited to watch him in a Leafs sweater, and I will give him a chance fully. I guess what I am trying to say is that of all the signings that were made this offseason, I think this one has the biggest stinker potential. Super moveable if so, and I still really like the signing. I just am not sure he will fill the net enough to stay in the top 6 like some imagine on here. Hopefully I am wrong on that

he's no gritty energy guy, and he's a bit slow - so expect lots of leafs fans to poop on him.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
yertletheturtle_66485.jpg

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
..but does it count? .. the Oilers have barely been a NHL team for well over 20 years.... It's like when you were a kid and hit a homer off your little brother.. yeah its a homer butttttttt..... or when you played street hockey against younger kids and scored 21+ goals... yeah you had 7 hat tricks buttttt ... ;)

I think that was the oilers team that should've won the series already, if not for a controversial kesler's goal that ties the game in the last minute, where he obviously interfered with the goalie. There was no video challenge at the time.

But it was also the last year where Lucic was effective. The game was much slower then. So it is indeed questionable whether Ritchie's type of game would've been more effective back then, at least during the regular season.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010

4. Never gets going after missing the first 12 games of the season due to suspension for coming off the bench to protect Mitch Marner in the final pre-season game of the year, enraging all those fans who wanted to see Marner punished for putting a puck over the glass in the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
4. Never gets going after missing the first 12 games of the season due to suspension for coming off the bench to protect Mitch Marner in the final pre-season game of the year, enraging all those fans who wanted to see Marner punished for putting a puck over the glass in the playoffs.

LOL. All these years of surreal failure have at least made Leaf fans creative. :)

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

However not decent enough that Boston wanted to keep him

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016

4. Transitions smoothly to 4c and is flanked by Gabriel and Simmonds. Every night there is a line brawl that we dominate.....

Reactions: Duffman955

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Perfect. Put out a strawman comment that absolutely no one has said, and then try to use that comment that only you put out to weakly attempt to mock people.

Very impressive.

:thumbu: :help:
Just fed up dude thats all, I'll stop mocking you promise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->