Confirmed with Link: Nick Ritchie to Toronto (2x2.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Some hate it? I think it's more of a 'it's about time' kind of move if anything.
Imagine if he turns into the Leafs version of Wilson?
One can dream!

It's funny, I feel like I'm one of the few that doesn't really like it, but I still see the value. I can't imagine anyone hating this deal because his impacts are almost identical to Mikheyev last season and all everyone talked about was how much they love him even with his complete lack of finishing

His box stats are almost identical 5v5 last season except that Ritchie played 40 more minutes and scored 3 more goals. Their ixG, and their iCF are almost exactly the same. Ritchie is slightly better at driving offense and Mikheyev is slightly better at defense. Ritchie has pretty much turned himself into a nice third-line, maybe middle-6 forward (if you squint) the last few years that isn't the blackhole he used to be, but limited in transition. It could be the start to something bigger as he's only 25, and if not it's only a 2 year deal.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's funny, I feel like I'm one of the few that doesn't really like it, but I still see the value. I can't imagine anyone hating this deal because his impacts are almost identical to Mikheyev last season and all everyone talked about was how much they love him even with his complete lack of finishing

His box stats are almost identical 5v5 last season except that Ritchie played 40 more minutes and scored 3 more goals. Their ixG, and their iCF are almost exactly the same. Ritchie is slightly better at driving offense and Mikheyev is slightly better at defense. Ritchie has pretty much turned himself into a nice third-line, maybe middle-6 forward (if you squint) the last few years that isn't the blackhole he used to be, but limited in transition. It could be the start to something bigger as he's only 25, and if not it's only a 2 year deal.
I get what you're saying but they aren't really comparable types of players though.
Defenseman won't be looking over their shoulder when Mikheyev follows them into the corner as an example.
I'm excited to see what he brings.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I get what you're saying but they aren't really comparable types of players though.
Defenseman won't be looking over their shoulder when Mikheyev follows them into the corner as an example.
I'm excited to see what he brings.

Yeah my post is more based on on-ice impacts. Essentially I'm just saying he's not simply a face-puncher that leads with his shoulder. The guy has the ability to actually play hockey at a 3rd line level. I know they don't play anything alike :laugh:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I'm indifferent TBH, don't hate it , don't love it, don't think he will be bad, don't think he will be good. I think he will be one of many, through that revolving cap crunch door.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He can be a physical presence without dropping the mitts; if needed, he can answer the bell, but wanting all three on a consistent basis - that's asking a lot for a guy the B's essentially gave up on.
I've said it before and I will say it again, my hope is he develops into a prime Lucic.
Ritchie has all the tools for it. Physically he is a beast so the only question is can he find chemistry in out top 6? And though I would love to see him on a line with Matthews I feel Tavares might be a better fit for him.
:crossfing

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I saw an article today that was apparently talking about how Ritchie could be the next Tom Wilson. I say apparently as I didn't do much more than glance at the headline. :)
I would be fine with that outcome and honestly the potential is there. As long as he's not as assholish as Wilson

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Some hate it? I think it's more of a 'it's about time' kind of move if anything.
Imagine if he turns into the Leafs version of Wilson?
One can dream!
Odds are good IMO. Really similar players. If they had switched names a few years ago, I doubt anyone would have noticed.

Reactions: ACC1224

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Odds are good IMO. Really similar players. If they had switched names a few years ago, I doubt anyone would have noticed.

I’m hoping Ritchie finds a new offensive gear playing with and protecting Matthews as much as anyone but I wouldn’t say just because two guys were slow to develop and one hit a steep development curve means the other is likely to as well.

Reactions: Duffman955

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
he'll never be a Wilson type player since Wilson is a much better skater

his style of play should have been a perfect fit in Bos but since they didn't qualify him i have no idea what to expect out of him

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
In a playoff context, the more assholish Ritchie is, the better. You really want teams coming in and looking to settle the score with him and get completely derailed than have a quiet good citizen out there.

Yeah but I'd rather draw the line somewhere and you can do plenty without being too big an asshole. Like I appreciate what Marchand brings to a team but I'd rather pass on having face lickers on my team who cross check people in the head from behind, especially when they're already on their knees.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I’m hoping Ritchie finds a new offensive gear playing with and protecting Matthews as much as anyone but I wouldn’t say just because two guys were slow to develop and one hit a steep development curve means the other is likely to as well.
Yeah he’s got to protect him if someone runs him and hurts him,harasses him with cheapshots etc but Matthews has to put on his big boy panties

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yeah but I'd rather draw the line somewhere and you can do plenty without being too big an asshole. Like I appreciate what Marchand brings to a team but I'd rather pass on having face lickers on my team who cross check people in the head from behind, especially when they're already on their knees.
Don’t you worry he is not like that. He has never lost a fight. He won’t take any B.S is the only way he is. He’s not a dirtbag like zWilson but he can handle aWilson any ole day

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The next time someone grabs Matthews by the collar, and rag dolls him like we saw in the playoffs, while he just laughs is when Ritchie will make sure that event never happens again.

Then he’ll get blamed for taking the instigator on here :). Ritchie takes undisciplined penalties for punching people it the face and I can’t wait personally.

Reactions: theTTC

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Oh I expect a few 2, 5 and a game penalties from Ritchie, but at least we won't be pushed around and will have some push back ability.
I’m probably the only one on the board that thinks that Gabriel can play because he won’t hurt you defensively and will dole out 200 hits or more on the 4th line. He skates good enough. Not much a scorer. Might be able to supply 4 or 5 goals as a 8 minutes per regular shift maybe swapping out with Simmonds.He won’t be a Marlie is my take. He’s scored as many playoff goals as Marner has the last two playoffs :)
Not sure how they got him so cheap ha.
Long story short i think he takes a spot or shares a spot on the Leafs. Then we have some protection all over the lineup. He hits lots. Going to be interesting to see how he comes in to camp. I see him as the next Holl as he brings a need that could work out well for both sides.

Reactions: Duffman955

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The next time someone grabs Matthews by the collar, and rag dolls him like we saw in the playoffs, while he just laughs is when Ritchie will make sure that event never happens again.

Expect Ritchie to bring a chaos factor out there. If he's bringing that borderline game himself it's going to put the other team on the back foot in terms of instigating trouble and pushing around our stars. I kind of expect him to be a distraction.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
When Ritchie is one of only 2-4 players to hit 20 goals and 200 hits next season, people will see how foolish Boston was to let him go.

Pretty much a lock for this in our top 6.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Expect Ritchie to bring a chaos factor out there. If he's bringing that borderline game himself it's going to put the other team on the back foot in terms of instigating trouble and pushing around our stars. I kind of expect him to be a distraction.

Bull in a china shop, but sometimes you need a little chaos to get everyone motivated and involved.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
In a playoff context, the more assholish Ritchie is, the better. You really want teams coming in and looking to settle the score with him and get completely derailed than have a quiet good citizen out there.
We might be talking about the same thing here. Imo Wilson crosses the line too often and too far. I'm hoping Ritchie plays heavy and hard and dances with whoever needs an attitude adjustment, no cheap shots just intimidation

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Whatever Ritchie has been and can become, I'll stick with my opinion that his most important need is to improve his conditioning. Put him in the gym with Rielly and Robertson, and encourage/cajole/shame him into getting into the best shape of his life. Target his endurance and muscle groups which, even if he can't improve his stride, will allow him to be a half step quicker and 5-10% more capable of going hard during his shifts, and being able to better recover when he's on the bench. If he's able to skate a bit faster for a bit longer during his shifts, the number of lazy penalties he takes will drop, and his effectiveness at forechecking will improve. Those two things alone would make him more valuable to the team, and might provide him with a stepping stone to realize some of his other potentials.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I hope we can get a couple more good players that can juice things up a bit and hand out some law of the jungle. Ritchie,Gabriel and Simmonds is a step in the right direction. Not so much Simmonds but he can juice it up every once in a while. He’s paid his dues but he’s a soldier nonetheless

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad