Player Discussion: Nick Leddy

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I understand that. However if you want comparables look at the Dougie Hamilton trade. In that case a younger and possibly better player at the time (Dougie) was traded for a Mid 1st round pick and two 2nds. While Leddy's contract is nice he is getting to 30 and will be a UFA at the end. Would you hypothetically take 15 OA, 45OA and 50OA for Leddy?

Ken,

He is 27 and won't be 28 until March. He is perfectly in his prime years.
He is also signed for 3 more years after this one at a very reasonable 5.5.

The Hamilton comparable doesn't work, Hamilton had contract issues and was a RFA - bruins didn't feel he was worth the $, so they traded him.

Only if the Isles are out of the playoff race would I think the Isles would consider futures and picks. Sabres have 3 #1's this year.

For now, Mittelstadt needs to be part of that deal.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
How about Leddy to the Canucks for a certain young American D man?

Can you imagine Dobson and Hughes for the next decade?

Last edited:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'd trade Leddy for the right package. I'd eye the Pacioretty return:

Suzuki (key piece of deal, promising young center prospect)
+
Tatar (just to move some salary back to balance both caps)
+
2nd (sweetener)

Considering Leddy is locked down at a fair deal and doesn't have to renegotiate, I'd be firm on this. None of this "let me tell you about this 6th rounder you've never heard of who looked pretty good in the QMJHL last season" business. Pony up a kid like Suzuki.

Reactions: PWJunior

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Leddy's in a funk..give him a break. He needs to get used to playing a different style of hockey. We need a talent like him and he's young enough to be part of the core.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Leddy's in a funk..give him a break. He needs to get used to playing a different style of hockey. We need a talent like him and he's young enough to be part of the core.
Until a youngster is on the isles roster and out playing Leddy, I am not in favor of moving Leddy.

Anyone read any rumors of which teams have called about him?

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
there was a rumour that Leddy asked to be traded. don't remember the teams inquiring, but also heard that LL is listening.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
there was a rumour that Leddy asked to be traded. don't remember the teams inquiring, but also heard that LL is listening.
Not saying there is no rumor, but I would like to know the source.

How credible the source is.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
He was -874 last year. It's not a funk.

Reactions: Konk

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Leddy always struck me as a Justin Schultz-type, not in terms of their skillsets being similar, but because both are offensive defensemen who are questionable in their own zone against tough competition, and who probably fit better on a second pairing.

That's why I think Leddy does have a lot of value around the league. Because probably a team acquiring him already has that top pairing locked down and are looking to bolster their second pairing with a top four puck mover.

Speaking of Leddy/Schultz, I always found it a bit funny that if you combined the two of them, you'd have an elite offensive defenseman because each excels where they other is merely average. Leddy's fantastic at carrying/transitioning the puck up the ice, but IMO, isn't that great in the offensive zone. Whereas Schultz is only average as a puck mover, but is deadly from the opposition blueline in.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Leddy always struck me as a Justin Schultz-type, not in terms of their skillsets being similar, but because both are offensive defensemen who are questionable in their own zone against tough competition, and who probably fit better on a second pairing.

That's why I think Leddy does have a lot of value around the league. Because probably a team acquiring him already has that top pairing locked down and are looking to bolster their second pairing with a top four puck mover.

Speaking of Leddy/Schultz, I always found it a bit funny that if you combined the two of them, you'd have an elite offensive defenseman because each excels where they other is merely average. Leddy's fantastic at carrying/transitioning the puck up the ice, but IMO, isn't that great in the offensive zone. Whereas Schultz is only average as a puck mover, but is deadly from the opposition blueline in.

What’s the deal with Maatta?

I thought about a swap of him and Leddy but don’t go out of my way to watch PIT.

Maatta seems to be more about his own zone, is younger, and has more size. Might be a better fit for NYI’s system, but the odds of a swap like that would probably be low. Leddy would likely fit really well in PIT.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What’s the deal with Maatta?

I thought about a swap of him and Leddy but don’t go out of my way to watch PIT.

Maatta seems to be more about his own zone, is younger, and has more size. Might be a better fit for NYI’s system, but the odds of a swap like that would probably be low. Leddy would likely fit really well in PIT.

Maatta's problem is his skating. He's generally good positionally, does decent defending 1 on 1 off the cycle, but his skating can cause him issues with regards to being burned in transition or with regards to retrieving dumped in pucks ahead of the forechecker.

Offensively, he's got a decent outlet pass, has a pretty good wrist shot, and isn't afraid to jump into the rush as the trailer.

Leddy's skating would be an asset for the style the Pens play, but I'm not sure adding another defenseman who has huge question marks in his own zone would help a team that's already a bit of an adventure in the D-zone.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
By all means, see what you can get for Leddy... I’d just as soon hold on to him and reap the rewards when he’s paired with Dobson next year.

Toews-Pulock
Leddy-Dobson
Pelech-Mayfield

Pretty solid if you ask me.

Lou should be able to sign an UFA 2C next year so unless Kadri’s available I’d just wait for the FA market.

Reactions: seafoam

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
By all means, see what you can get for Leddy... I’d just as soon hold on to him and reap the rewards when he’s paired with Dobson next year.

Toews-Pulock
Leddy-Dobson
Pelech-Mayfield

Pretty solid if you ask me.

Lou should be able to sign an UFA 2C next year so unless Kadri’s available I’d just wait for the FA market.

Who knows, Aho/Vande Sompel/Wotherspoon could start pushing Mayfield and Pelech next year too.

Also, just realized Boychuk’s not on there.

Reactions: BarzyClub

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
Who knows, Aho/Vande Sompel/Wotherspoon could start pushing Mayfield and Pelech next year too.

Also, just realized Boychuk’s not on there.

Didn’t mean to. lol I guess subconsciously I felt he’s going to be LTIR’d at some point this year/next year or moved somehow.

More interestingly, I left Sbisa out...and Hickey.

One can dream, can’t they?

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
There was another thread in the trade forum. A poster said that Leddy was shopped or possibly looking to be dealt last year. I blindly assumed that was the case but I now see no evidence to suggest this.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
What’s the point of this guy? He’s gotten better but what’s his role on this team? Like literally.. what’s the point/role?

If he sat out.. would we notice ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad