Player Discussion: Nick Leddy

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Wouldn't mind reshaping the D going forward, doesn't matter to me. Just looking at the future as Dobson, Pulock and Toews.

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
I feel it's time to trade Leddy but the return must be fair.

I wanted him in Montreal to play next to Weber.

What are Islanders' biggest needs? Centermen?

If so, I'd be ready to give Jacob Olofsson/Allan McShane + for him.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I wanted him in Montreal to play next to Weber.

What are Islanders' biggest needs? Centermen?

If so, I'd be ready to give Jacob Olofsson/Allan McShane + for him.

Top four defenseman, such as Petry.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Part of me wonders if a Nelson for Brassard swap makes some sense (I’ll be curious to see if STK chimes in here). Both are impending UFAs, but an inter-divsion swap seems unlikely.

Brassard is the truer center of the two in my opinion, but it looks like he’s got off to an even worse start compred to Nelson.

Nelson shoots the puck more, but Brassard is better on the dot.

Pens need Brassard more than Nelson. Most of their wingers are "shooters" and benefit more from having a playmaking center on their line. Especially with Kessel being firmly planted on Malkin's wing, that 3rd line needs a guy who can create chances, not finish them.

There's no real upside from the Pens' POV in making that deal, especially when you factor in Nelson not really being a Sullivan player (most soft, inconsistent, not-the-hardest-working guys tend to get the shaft under Sullivan, regardless of if they bring a skill game).

Reactions: seafoam

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Blockbuster with Buffalo with Mittelstadt as the central return with other pieces being swapped as well maybe even one of those #1's come back too -

Nelson has connect with Eichel

Sabres fan here. As much as I like the Idea of;

Leddy - Risto
Dahlin - Scandella
McCabe - Bogo

with Dahlin eventually supplanting him as #1 LD over the next year. Mittelstadt is a non-starter. One of the firsts this year sure, Nylander is a possibility, Guhle/Davidsson/Asplund, one of the "lesser" established players (Girgs, Larrsson, etc..) and a pick (SJ/STL 1st?) is a possibility but long term salary for Buffalo is an issue. I really think the cap hit is more of an issue for Buffalo than real dollars of 7M in the last year. What are the needs on the island, how do you see Buffalo helping you.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Of those 4 I'd like to think about Buffalo.

I took a look at their stats and system after watching how they played that road game at Anaheim, where they looked really good. I think Buffalo is ready to take a big leap up if they could fill a few more holes. There's some nice pieces in their system. I doubt Mittlestadt is available though so maybe we look at a longer view. Leddy and Eberle would really fill out their needs for scoring. Buffalo is only 26th in the league for goals right now and they've already played 9 games.

Someone mentioned that Leddy and Eberle don;t seem to fit into the system right now. Toews can replace Leddy. Eberle is FA anyhow. And Nelson can be moved back to wing if needed. Looking at the Buffalo system two players that stand out to target are Mattias Samuelsson and Nicholas Roy.

Would something like Leddy and Eberle for Samuellson, Roy and Jake McCabe be something we might be interested in if Buffalo is looking at build to win now mode?

As a Sabre fan... I think we'd be stealing your players. I'm not even sure who Roy is lol

Samuelsson is a promising prospect and I like McCabe who is a warrior but I dont think the value of them is close to get Leddy and Eberle

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
As a Sabre fan... I think we'd be stealing your players. I'm not even sure who Roy is lol

Samuelsson is a promising prospect and I like McCabe who is a warrior but I dont think the value of them is close to get Leddy and Eberle

Remember that Eberle is UFA after this year. Nicholas Roy was one of the stars of the WJHC a few years back. He could fit our #3C role down the line. McCabe would free up Hickey for another trade.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Remember that Eberle is UFA after this year. Nicholas Roy was one of the stars of the WJHC a few years back. He could fit our #3C role down the line. McCabe would free up Hickey for another trade.

They aren’t going to trade Hickey.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Don’t remind us

We're stuck with him for 2 years. Hopefully Seattle does us a favor and takes him. If not, his contract is easily movable with only 2 years remaining and at a cheap cap hit.

He is a stop gap until the kids emerge and push him out. The day Hickey is no longer a regular on the blue line, the defense group should be good enough to contend.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
We're stuck with him for 2 years. Hopefully Seattle does us a favor and takes him. If not, his contract is easily movable with only 2 years remaining and at a cheap cap hit.

He is a stop gap until the kids emerge and push him out. The day Hickey is no longer a regular on the blue line, the defense group should be good enough to contend.
Nobody will want him. His next team will take him on a PTO.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Of those 4 I'd like to think about Buffalo.

I took a look at their stats and system after watching how they played that road game at Anaheim, where they looked really good. I think Buffalo is ready to take a big leap up if they could fill a few more holes. There's some nice pieces in their system. I doubt Mittlestadt is available though so maybe we look at a longer view. Leddy and Eberle would really fill out their needs for scoring. Buffalo is only 26th in the league for goals right now and they've already played 9 games.

Someone mentioned that Leddy and Eberle don;t seem to fit into the system right now. Toews can replace Leddy. Eberle is FA anyhow. And Nelson can be moved back to wing if needed. Looking at the Buffalo system two players that stand out to target are Mattias Samuelsson and Nicholas Roy.

Would something like Leddy and Eberle for Samuellson, Roy and Jake McCabe be something we might be interested in if Buffalo is looking at build to win now mode?

Isles getting hosed in that deal

Nic Roy is not Sabre property - Canes

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Sabres fan here. As much as I like the Idea of;

Leddy - Risto
Dahlin - Scandella
McCabe - Bogo

with Dahlin eventually supplanting him as #1 LD over the next year. Mittelstadt is a non-starter. One of the firsts this year sure, Nylander is a possibility, Guhle/Davidsson/Asplund, one of the "lesser" established players (Girgs, Larrsson, etc..) and a pick (SJ/STL 1st?) is a possibility but long term salary for Buffalo is an issue. I really think the cap hit is more of an issue for Buffalo than real dollars of 7M in the last year. What are the needs on the island, how do you see Buffalo helping you.

None of the players you mention push the needle at all - a #1, Guhle, Nylander or Davidson, and a pick? IMO, lots piece s Just doesn't get it done - maybe by the deadline and Isles are out of it - Sabres could offer 2 #1's, Plus Davidson and another player

IMO
Mittelstadt must be part of the deal. I understand if it is a deal breaker.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
If you're over 25, there's a reasonable chance you're gone by the deadline, even if you're name is Anders Lee. Josh Bailey is here for life. So, he's the exception.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
None of the players you mention push the needle at all - a #1, Guhle, Nylander or Davidson, and a pick? IMO, lots piece s Just doesn't get it done - maybe by the deadline and Isles are out of it - Sabres could offer 2 #1's, Plus Davidson and another player

IMO
Mittelstadt must be part of the deal. I understand if it is a deal breaker.

I understand that. However if you want comparables look at the Dougie Hamilton trade. In that case a younger and possibly better player at the time (Dougie) was traded for a Mid 1st round pick and two 2nds. While Leddy's contract is nice he is getting to 30 and will be a UFA at the end. Would you hypothetically take 15 OA, 45OA and 50OA for Leddy?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I understand that. However if you want comparables look at the Dougie Hamilton trade. In that case a younger and possibly better player at the time (Dougie) was traded for a Mid 1st round pick and two 2nds. While Leddy's contract is nice he is getting to 30 and will be a UFA at the end. Would you hypothetically take 15 OA, 45OA and 50OA for Leddy?

I agree with you, any deal would have to be futures based. Timing is good for both teams too. Buffalo has multiple 1sts already so they can easily make a move like this.

I don't know if you can accurately predict where the picks will be, but a 1st and 2 2nds is probably realistic value with recent precedence. If we are to trade Leddy, I would probably take that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->