Player Discussion: Nick Leddy

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Looks bad for sure. But at the start of the GIF you can see Pelech guarding the high slot. Eberle lost his man. That left Hickey to cover Burns skating out of the corner and also the guy behind the net at the other side. So I think what Hickey was thinking was that Burns was going to pass behind the net and the other guy was going to skate out front for a shot, or if Burns skated out front and then passed across the guy would have a tap in. So he played the pass and left Burns to Lehner. But yeah, it looks bad.

He's indecisive and makes no decision that's useful. He was caught between the two, but he needs to commit there and the last things he should do it just skate into his own goalie.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Sorry - your suggestion or actual rumor?

Sorry my suggestion-

Loved Mittelstadt his draft year and I think he would be a great 2C
Young controllable asset too -

Why would Sabres give him up - still unproven and they get a top 4 who is signed for the next 3 years.

You can expand the deal,

Any deal for Leddy has to have a strong return -

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
He's indecisive and makes no decision that's useful. He was caught between the two, but he needs to commit there and the last things he should do it just skate into his own goalie.
Sure, but if he did commit and go after Burns, and Burns then slid a pass behind the net to the open guy and that guy then took it out front uncontested and scored, he'd have been criticized for that. I guess what I'm getting at is, as bad as it looks I'd be curious to hear what Trotz would say when the team sits down to review the game on video. I think Eberle and Pelech might get as much criticism as Hickey.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Sure, but if he did commit and go after Burns, and Burns then slid a pass behind the net to the open guy and that guy then took it out front uncontested and scored, he'd have been criticized for that. I guess what I'm getting at is, as bad as it looks I'd be curious to hear what Trotz would say when the team sits down to review the game on video. I think Eberle and Pelech might get as much criticism as Hickey.

I wouldn't be criticizing that decision because I know it wasn't his fault he got put in that spot. I'll take forcing the puck behind the net and dealing with whatever happens from there over letting a guy just walk out in front of the goalie.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I can absolutely see them trying to move Leddy for a different ‘type’ of defenseman (i.e. a lateral move).

Pelech hasn’t stepped up as a stay-at-home guy leaving a large hole on the left side and Toews/Aho/Vande Sompel/Wotherspoon all play in a similar mold to Leddy in that they skate well and can move the puck.

Hickey, as limited as he is, is not getting moved after just being re-signed.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I can absolutely see them trying to move Leddy for a different ‘type’ of defenseman (i.e. a lateral move).

Pelech hasn’t stepped up as a stay-at-home guy leaving a large hole on the left side and Toews/Aho/Vande Sompel/Wotherspoon all play in a similar mold to Leddy in that they skate well and can move the puck.

Hickey, as limited as he is, is not getting moved after just being re-signed.

Eberle and Leddy have not seemed to fit in this current system at all. I am curious to see what Lamoriello could get for Leddy though.

Reactions: IODCPiper

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Nelson as well.

Well to be fair Nelson has never truly fit in any system ran here, but in my opinion this is the best he has looked here. Keep in mind I am not saying I would resign him or anything, but I am worried to see who would be this teams second line center if they trade him since the Kovar experiment is over.

Short of this team landing Duchene in free agency they will have to trade for one. I suppose they could get lucky in the lottery, but that should not be a plan for this team.

Who are your ideas on filling the second line center position?

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Well to be fair Nelson has never truly fit in any system ran here, but in my opinion this is the best he has looked here. Keep in mind I am not saying I would resign him or anything, but I am worried to see who would be this teams second line center if they trade him since the Kovar experiment is over.

Short of this team landing Duchene in free agency they will have to trade for one. I suppose they could get lucky in the lottery, but that should not be a plan for this team.

Erik Staal or Derrick Brassard - if not Duchene.

The team is thin up the middle - maybe one of Eberle or Nelson can return could be a young, potential 2C if the team chooses to part ways at the deadline.

Never can rule out a trade for an established 2C on a team trending in the wrong direction -

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The obvious answer would be Leddy to Toronto for Nylander plus.

If the Isles could grab Nylander, you'd have to think Leddy would have to be part of that deal.

However, I just don't know if Lamoriello wants any part of that Nylander circus? Can't imagine Nylander would be in any rush to sign a contract with us for less than what he's demanding of Toronto... which likely makes little sense for us at the moment.

One way or the other, Lamoriello knows enough about Nylander to want him or not.

I still think Lamy is more inclined to seek Bobrovsky and Panarin, either in a trade or next summer.

And I can picture both of them wanting to be here.

ASIDE:
I don't know what and who it would actually cost, but I'd have to think that we might be about the hardest team to defend against man-on-man if we had Barzal, Panarin, AND Nylander in the line-up. That'd be a heck of a lot of ankle-twisting shiftiness.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Part of me wonders if a Nelson for Brassard swap makes some sense (I’ll be curious to see if STK chimes in here). Both are impending UFAs, but an inter-divsion swap seems unlikely.

Brassard is the truer center of the two in my opinion, but it looks like he’s got off to an even worse start compred to Nelson.

Nelson shoots the puck more, but Brassard is better on the dot.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If the team is hovering at .500 and Eberle and Nelson are being shopped - I would shop Leddy as well at the deadline -

Imagine the Haul for a top 4 d man who can move the puck with 3 years at 5.5 m left on his contract -

I can see the Oilers, Sabres, Canucks, and Jets jumping to making a deal -

Reactions: dood

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If the team is hovering at .500 and Eberle and Nelson are being shopped - I would shop Leddy as well at the deadline -

Imagine the Haul for a top 4 d man who can move the puck with 3 years at 5.5 m left on his contract -

I can see the Oilers, Sabres, Canucks, and Jets jumping to making a deal -

Of those 4 I'd like to think about Buffalo.

I took a look at their stats and system after watching how they played that road game at Anaheim, where they looked really good. I think Buffalo is ready to take a big leap up if they could fill a few more holes. There's some nice pieces in their system. I doubt Mittlestadt is available though so maybe we look at a longer view. Leddy and Eberle would really fill out their needs for scoring. Buffalo is only 26th in the league for goals right now and they've already played 9 games.

Someone mentioned that Leddy and Eberle don;t seem to fit into the system right now. Toews can replace Leddy. Eberle is FA anyhow. And Nelson can be moved back to wing if needed. Looking at the Buffalo system two players that stand out to target are Mattias Samuelsson and Nicholas Roy.

Would something like Leddy and Eberle for Samuellson, Roy and Jake McCabe be something we might be interested in if Buffalo is looking at build to win now mode?

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Leddy still has a good rep around the league, but if you watch him every night like we do you can see he's losing it. The system may be part of the problem but we're watching him degrade just like Hamonic.
Might not be a bad idea to move Leddy while he still has a fair amount of value.

Reactions: dood

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I don’t see the degradation many are speaking of. I see a guy whose strength was always his mobility, skating and speed playing in a system with a really poor supporting cast.

Leddy was always shy of being a real #1 guy, but he’s been leaned on as 1 with a supporting cast of , Pulock (green) , Pelech (green and bad) , Boychuk (over the hill) , Hickey (say no more). Our top-6 are also not great at defensive play. Bailey is ok, but as a collective they are at the bottom of the league for Defense when compared to other top-6 forward groups

Reactions: Eberzal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad