Player Discussion: Nick Leddy

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Leddys D playing in the D zone is being greatly over rated. He is not good once the opposing team has possession in our zone.

But he if he gets it and can turn up ice, they don't possess in our zone. Sometimes he panics and then it's a nightmare back there. He's just not physical enough and can't battle through things he needs to in order to get the clears necessary.

Reactions: bigtim1988

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
leddy is not good. most overrated player on this team by far. for 5 mil a year hes honestly been a dumpster fire.
Toews isn’t going to replace him though isles have to be careful with him. He isn’t a stud top guy but take him out of lineup and the defense is in trouble. Playing with Boychuk again has helped both of them I’d just stick with that for now.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Leddy is a skilled puck moving D-man, I am not sure why he is rendered "useless" on here, I am pretty sure a large percentage of teams in the NHL would like to have him on their roster and unless the Islanders are going to get a really good return I am not sure why he is considered tradeable

Reactions: PROMputt

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Leddy had a nice shift where he buried a Knight into the boards, then was mistakenly called for a penalty. If he plays engaged like that, he’s decent bc he’s defending and can escape w the puck. The problem is he’s not always engaged defensively.

Offensively, that’s where he’s truly ‘useless.’ His shot has some how regressed, his passing is predictable and inaccurate.

Reactions: ekill08x

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Toews in the lineup will make Leddy look better. He’s probably a better PP option than him as well.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Toews in the lineup will make Leddy look better. He’s probably a better PP option than him as well.

I liked what I saw from him on the PP during the pre-season, and he's a lefty, so that might be where he ultimately ends up if he sticks. Hoping he does.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Despite his deficiencies, Leddy has a role and his speed is a necessary element for this team, but if they could put Leddy in a package for an upgrade defensively, I would be fine with that. Get a top-2 defenseman, add Toews into the starting mix and let Hickey/Pelech alternate.

The Isles would have to find a top-heavy team looking to add some overall lineup balance, receiving a Leddy+ package, or a team looking to shake up their core. Muzzin would be a good target, just not sure what, alongside Leddy, it would take? Muzzin is a UFA after 2019-20, so that is a consideration for both teams as well.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Feels like Leddy would get a second line forward or picks/prospects right now. We're talking about a guy we're fed up with right now and asking a lot from other teams, but who knows if they'll see the same thing.

Volek25

Apr 23, 2007
St. Louis, MO
As much as I love Leddy for when he actually takes initiative and uses his speed to advance the puck and enter the zone, he looks way too timid and soft in most of his game (yes he threw one big hit last night that got a penalty, which was questionable), but to me it's as if he's waiting for someone else to step up. I don't understand it but he looks like he is hesitant and has zero confidence in his game. Don't know what it is, but its he's not the same Nick Leddy that we've seen from a few years ago. It's frustrating because I think he can do so much more and be involved...

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
As much as I love Leddy for when he actually takes initiative and uses his speed to advance the puck and enter the zone, he looks way too timid and soft in most of his game (yes he threw one big hit last night that got a penalty, which was questionable), but to me it's as if he's waiting for someone else to step up. I don't understand it but he looks like he is hesitant and has zero confidence in his game. Don't know what it is, but its he's not the same Nick Leddy that we've seen from a few years ago. It's frustrating because I think he can do so much more and be involved...
in my opinion speaking behind a keyboard here but Leddy is fine not being the alpha in room. One day if the Isles move him down to the 2nd pairing he may take off. Let the big dogs run if we ever get one.

Reactions: dood

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Maybe we can call Minnesota and Swap Leddy for Brodin, I think i'm the minority here of fans who aren't calling for his head. He still looks real good out there to me at times, he's just been very inconsistent - almost like the Nelson of previous years.

Toews seems ready for NHL minutes.

Then ya roll

Brodin-Pulock
Toews-Boychuk
Aho-Mayfield

Hickey

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If you watch games consistently you will see that Leddys not as bad as other d men around the league who play offense first. He's playing better of late and we really need him.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
If you watch games consistently you will see that Leddys not as bad as other d men around the league who play offense first. He's playing better of late and we really need him.

Hes playing better of late? Hes been a dumpster fire out there this week. He also plays a super soft game and never looks like hes giving much effort. Not to mention for an offensive first guy, he has a single goal and 15 points while being on the first PP unit for the entirety of the first half. We used to think that his contract was very team friendly, after last season and this year, its more like a travesty that hes making 5+ mil a year with how bad hes played.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad