Player Discussion: Nick Leddy

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
This guy stinks, Toews has taken over the PP now (with not much more success) and Leddy has no role and does nothing out there.

Hickey will likely be taken out next game for Boychuk but this guy should be a candidate to consider.

Palfmeister

Oct 2, 2011
This guy stinks, Toews has taken over the PP now (with not much more success) and Leddy has no role and does nothing out there.

Hickey will likely be taken out next game for Boychuk but this guy should be a candidate to consider.

Leddy should be 1st to sit.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Hes been the worst defenseman all season. He looks "effortless" because he is lazy. I would be fine with getting a couple draft picks for him and moving on.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I just hope he finishes the season strong, get as much as possible during the summer. Toews & Pelech has made him redundant, as I could live with Hickey and working in Aho in, as long as it brought back a nice piece in return.

If the team does decide to trade Leddy I would hope they have some sort of top four defensemen to replace him though. Isles have been quite lucky regarding injuries on the defensive side of the game this season, they need to prepare more for a possible injury next season.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
If the team does decide to trade Leddy I would hope they have some sort of top four defensemen to replace him though. Isles have been quite lucky regarding injuries on the defensive side of the game this season, they need to prepare more for a possible injury next season.
Pelech-Pulock
Toews-Mayfield
Aho-Boychuk
Hickey

Sounds alright to me with MVS and Wotherspoon being at 150 AHL games at that point.

Reactions: BTrotts19

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Pelech-Pulock
Toews-Mayfield
Aho-Boychuk
Hickey

Sounds alright to me with MVS and Wotherspoon being at 150 AHL games at that point.

I was concerned before the season about having the entire top-7 locked up long term. With the Bridgeport kids nearing NHL readiness, a roster crunch was coming and it looks like this offseason is where someone has to go to make some space.

I prefer to deal Hickey so Aho can get on the NHL roster and be eased in throughout the season. Cut from the bottom, not the top if you want upgrades from within.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I was concerned before the season about having the entire top-7 locked up long term. With the Bridgeport kids nearing NHL readiness, a roster crunch was coming and it looks like this offseason is where someone has to go to make some space.

I prefer to deal Hickey so Aho can get on the NHL roster and be eased in throughout the season. Cut from the bottom, not the top if you want upgrades from within.

I completely agree. Excluding Boychuk and Leddy the rest of the D is still relatively inexperienced. I would like to see another year of experience before Leddy is traded.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Agree in theory. The trouble is when we’re as thin at forward organizationally as we are trading from the top to fill another need becomes necessary. You can’t get anything for Hickey except for a mid-late round pick or someone else’s bad contract.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Agree in theory. The trouble is when we’re as thin at forward organizationally as we are trading from the top to fill another need becomes necessary. You can’t get anything for Hickey except for a mid-late round pick or someone else’s bad contract.

PW this is largely my response.

I don't really have an interest in trading Hickey for a 4th if we can even do that (might have to take back a contract). If we trade Leddy for a forward, our team is in better shape.

It's not trading from the top for me to clear room, it's trading from a strength for a weakness.

It just sucks that we're likely going to trade low on Leddy but I think he has a good rep.

Reactions: MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

My hope is that they can trade Leddy because they've been able to sign a top 4 UFA.

Reactions: MJF

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Doug Weight ruined this guy
Doug Weight was his coach for a season and half, yes, but NL played under JQ in CHI. You think he forgot everything he learned there? Doug Weight deserves everything we say about him from a coaching perspective (still a good guy and good Islander) but lets not go too far. If Leddy wants his game back, it's up to him.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
What do you think the best return for Leddy is?

1. Nylander
  2. Pulijaarvi
  3. Nugent-Hopkins
  4. Edmonton #1 2019 (9-10 OA?)
  5. Saad
  6. Buffalo #1 2019 (9-10OA?)
  7. Ehlers
2019 8, 9, 10 picks could be - Turcotte, Boldy, Zegras, Newhook all potential 2 C's as well as LHD Broberg

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011

1. Nylander
  2. Pulijaarvi
  3. Nugent-Hopkins
  5. Saad
  7. Ehlers
2019 8, 9, 10 picks could be - Turcotte, Boldy, Zegras, Newhook all potential 2 C's as well as LHD Broberg

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Boychuk should be traded as well. I see a fast regression.

Wouldn't use the word regression on him, lol. To me that's used for young players who take a step back. Boychuk's at the age where it is just degradation or decline. I'm fine letting Boychuk stick around with less ice time as the years wear thin. He's still a good mentor and I imagine a good lockerroom guy. You still need vets around to mentor the youth.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

1. Nylander
  2. Pulijaarvi
  3. Nugent-Hopkins
  5. Saad
  7. Ehlers

Both 1 and 3 seem like pipe dreams. I would stay far away from 2. I don't think 4 is realistic but I wouldn't be opposed to it. 7 is a pipe dream too. This guys is magnificent for the Jets and everyone in management and on their boards knows it. They are trying to keep him under the radar. Don't think Buffalo wants to part with their 1st rounder either. To me 4 and 5 seem to be the only realistic options and i'm fine with either.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Wouldn't use the word regression on him, lol. To me that's used for young players who take a step back. Boychuk's at the age where it is just degradation or decline. I'm fine letting Boychuk stick around with less ice time as the years wear thin. He's still a good mentor and I imagine a good lockerroom guy. You still need vets around to mentor the youth.

The problem is Regression has two meanings. For normal conversation it usually means to take a step bake or to a former state.

But this is hockey and we talk stats all the time. Regression to the mean could mean IMPROVEMENT or decline.

On topic though, I want Boych to be here for a while.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Pelech-Pulock
Toews-Mayfield
Aho-Boychuk
Hickey

I would not be totally sold on this defense until we see it work in action. I do not really have a clear cut reason as to why though besides trading Leddy and plugging in Aho is risky to me. I am also not sold on Mayfield and Pelech both being top four defensemen next season.

The nice thing about trading Leddy is it really allows the team to make some interesting moves to their forward group. If what Staple said is right about Leddy being looked at as a #3 defenseman around the league they will get a top six forward in return just liked he stated.

Theoretically they can use Leddy to trade for a player such as Nylander and then go and sign Panarin or Duchene if Lamoriello can work his magic. Getting rid of Leddy for a top six forward is a magic unicorn in which I will not believe it until I see it. Maybe in Toronto's run and gun offense he will do much better.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I would not be totally sold on this defense until we see it work in action. I do not really have a clear cut reason as to why though besides trading Leddy and plugging in Aho is risky to me. I am also not sold on Mayfield and Pelech both being top four defensemen next season.

The nice thing about trading Leddy is it really allows the team to make some interesting moves to their forward group. If what Staple said is right about Leddy being looked at as a #3 defenseman around the league they will get a top six forward in return just liked he stated.

Theoretically they can use Leddy to trade for a player such as Nylander and then go and sign Panarin or Duchene if Lamoriello can work his magic. Getting rid of Leddy for a top six forward is a magic unicorn in which I will not believe it until I see it. Maybe in Toronto's run and gun offense he will do much better.
It's fair to question Mayfield and Pelech as top 4 dmen but being that they are right now, that's where I'm plugging them. We just need Aho to play 16 minutes a night and get better if he can't or struggles we have Hickey.

I'm hoping Leddy gets us a good cost controlled forward and then we'll evaluate where were at. Leaving it up to Lou. If it's RNH, we can let Nelson go and get another top 6 forward and be on our way

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018

1. Nylander
  2. Pulijaarvi
  3. Nugent-Hopkins
  5. Saad
  7. Ehlers
Leddy,Wilde,JHS,2019 1st to EDM for Draisitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad