News Article: Nick Fotiu destroys Rangers game 7 effort

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Because we haven't picked in the top 5 in like ages?

Look at Doughty, Hedman, OEL and so on.

Stralman is complimentary, no Hedman, no Cup for Tampa, I'm certain of that.

I just meant Stralman, lol. Yeah, when you tank, good things happen as Tampa and the Islanders have found out. Other teams have to find value picks in later rounds.

Stralman is a stud though. Letting him walk when he loved it here and wanted to stay will always make me sad.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Okay, genius.

Explain the Rangers motive for not trying.

People like you live in a true fantasy world where if the team you root for tries, they win.

The idiocy of that thought pattern, taken out to full realization, would say that in every game, one team tries more than the other.

You remind me of some people who bet on horses. When their horse loses, they say their jockey wasn't trying. When your horse wins, you tell people that of course your horse won. It was easy to figure it out by reading the program.

Let's get back to the crux of the biscuit.

Who on the Rangers was not trying, and what would be the reason for their not trying?

Was it fixed?

Guys playing on broken ankles and some idiot fans question their effort.

Donkey,
How did the team manage to win 7-3 the other night? With all the injuries?

You're watching these games right coach?

I never said the will to win was enough.

Effort to go into dirty areas, forecheck hard, shots from the point, traffic in fronts... those things weren't there in game 7

They were there at times in all the games we won even in some we lost...

I never said they should have won because I'm a fan...

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Donkey,

Effort to go into dirty areas, forecheck hard, shots from the point, traffic in fronts... those things weren't there in game 7

Tampa imploded in game 6 then trapped the hell out of us in game 7. Don't act like there was a peewee team on the other end of the ice.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Tampa imploded in game 6 then trapped the hell out of us in game 7. Don't act like there was a peewee team on the other end of the ice.

Come on now, that wouldn't fit his horse **** notion that the Rangers just didn't try.

Imagine if they cared as much as Fotiu. Just imagine!!!

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Donkey,

I will continue to ask until you answer.

Why didn't the team put forth enough of an effort?

Did they not care?

Why are you afraid to address the questions?

You can insult me again or explain yourself.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

Did they not care?

your point is a valid one chosen.

its a tough answer though as it deals with intangible things that can't really be measured.

imo, the effort was less than tampas effort. at home, in game 7, having been there last year, and 1 game- heck 1 period away from returning, this team suddenly didn't have anything left and went down quietly. they produced little pressure, very few solid scoring chances and didn't push the play. they were, in a word, empty.

it isn't a zero sum thing. there was effort on both sides, but tampa out hustled, out hit and out chanced us and so, to the eye, the effort was lacking. that doesnt mean there was NO effort only the effort from the nyr didn't match that of the bolts.

in the end they lost. period. of course they cared, that not caring thing is misguided. its not that they didn't care, they did. its simply they didn't succeed and so they failed. they were beaten

that doesnt mean they didn't care or exert effort. they did. but we all expected more and they didn't deliver.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Enough with the personal attacks

I agree.

But can we also add "antagonistic crap" to the list as well?

It's like a contest to see who can come up with the most flippant or smart ass response to someone.

I feel that if we don't nip that in the bud, conversations are going to keep degenerating.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I agree.

But can we also add "antagonistic crap" to the list as well?

It's like a contest to see who can come up with the most flippant or smart ass response to someone.

I feel that if we don't nip that in the bud, conversations are going to keep degenerating.

Let me worry about that.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008

Tampa is a great team and I knew we needed the tenaciousness that we had in third period of game 6. The Rangers pressed Tampa in game 6, they out worked their defenseman and made Bishop useless. The Rangers made them implode by playing aggressively in the defensive zone.

I didn't expect 3 periods of balls to the wall from the Rangers in game 7, but I was very disappointed by an overly conservative gameplan that wasn't engaged enough to beat the trap.

Did they not care?

You're doing a fair share of insulting yourself.

The general consensus was around here and among Ranger fans, were we never know what team was going to show up on any given night.

I don't know why this team was shut out for 6 periods at home. Why can't they perform on home ice? That's the sign of mentally fragile psyche if you ask me. I think many Rangers aren't strong mentally, I don't think they have enough "gamers" on this team.

I understand about injuries affecting aspects of the game, however they won game 6 decidedly on the strong play of their forwards going after the Tampa defense.

I may not have the brilliant insight that you and others have been blessed with, but I've been watching hockey for over 20 years and I saw the Rangers playing an overly conservative game 7. They looked like they choked. I didn't see effort demonstrated in a hard forecheck, traffic in front, shots from the point, winning puck battles... That's how I determine if a team really wants it. These are the things I look for as a hockey fan.

Don't give me this BS that i'm a fan that thinks his team can win any game because I believe in them. These were two evenly matched teams in a game 7, with one period in front of them. I'm not saying the Rangers would have won game 7, but I didn't see the Rangers doing any of the things that made them successful in previous games.

You and others say it was injuries that contributed to this. Ok, but they managed to put forth a winning effort in game 6 after getting shut out previously at home, despite the injuries. How? Many, if not all of the forwards were still intact... I thought they played a garbage game. I didn't see a team that wanted to go the SCF.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The Rangers and lightning, respectively, were the two best transition teams in the NHL all season. I remember hearing a stat that they were #1 and #2 respectively in scoring goals off of the rush. This was evidenced by them also being #1 and #2 in Sh% almost the entire season.

And, as you can see in these charts, the Lightning were the much better transition team in this series getting way more shots/chances off of the rush. Rush events are bolded and italicized. You will see a greater density of them for TB. Less turned into goals because of a guy named Henrik Lundqvist.

Screenshot_from_2015_06_09_21_15_04.png

Somehow, after being shutout 2 games and scoring only 4 goals at home, we outscored tb at even strength 13 to 12. Just scored too many in some games and none in others.

Also, I wonder how many times ben bishop allowed tb to break out of the zone and score a goal the other end. That is the only thing in the universe skillwise he has over Lundy. No one's ability to stop the johnson line also played a huge role...they're zone entry with possession was probably close to 90% (srs). They were able to just walk into the zone everytime it seemed. Which is another reason for they're dominance in transition.

Last edited:

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
This may shock you, but two hockey games are different from each other.

I know right? Blew my mind too.

Let me worry about that.

ok, lead by example. fair enough?

Many may not like what Fotiu's said, but he hit a nerve apparently. I'm not his apologist. Too many times posters are quick to create a caricature of what peoples viewpoints are here and start attacking anyone who disagrees with them.

Rangers were wildy inconsistent in these playoffs. Why does a team that is capable of playing hard enough to win one night, not bring the same effort the following night?

You say no two games are alike. I understand that. Tampa played the trap and the rangers didn't challenge enough. I don't take anything away from Tampa, but I don't think the Rangers did enough to win game 7. i'm not saying that they should have won if they just merely played hard, i'm saying I didn't see them attempt to do any of the things that made them successful previously against this Tampa team.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
ok, lead by example. fair enough?

Many may not like what Fotiu's said, but he hit a nerve apparently. I'm not his apologist. Too many times posters are quick to create a caricature of what peoples viewpoints are here and start attacking anyone who disagrees with them.

Rangers were wildy inconsistent in these playoffs. Why does a team that is capable of playing hard enough to win one night, not bring the same effort the following night?

You say no two games are alike. I understand that. Tampa played the trap and the rangers didn't challenge enough. I don't take anything away from Tampa, but I don't think the Rangers did enough to win game 7. i'm not saying that they should have won if they just merely played hard, i'm saying I didn't see them attempt to do any of the things that made them successful previously against this Tampa team.

It just doesn't make sense to me that we would bust ass in game 6 and then mail it in for game 7. I think Tampa just came at us with something we couldn't solve.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
It just doesn't make sense to me that we would bust ass in game 6 and then mail it in for game 7. I think Tampa just came at us with something we couldn't solve.

AV was out coached.

I didn't see the Rangers doing enough to beat their trap. They played a very passive forecheck all game. At some point you have to press if you plan on scoring. I think the Rangers were looking for that one perfect play that never came. They didn't want to make any mistakes and played too conservatively.

Previously when Tampa wasn't giving the Rangers much, the Rangers just started putting shots on net/generating traffic. When all else fails this is what you need to do. Dirty goals... it never happened.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
AV was out coached.

I didn't see the Rangers doing enough to beat their trap. They played a very passive forecheck all game. At some point you have to press if you plan on scoring. I think the Rangers were looking for that one perfect play that never came. They didn't want to make any mistakes and played too conservatively.

Previously when Tampa wasn't giving the Rangers much, the Rangers just started putting shots on net/generating traffic. When all else fails this is what you need to do. Dirty goals... it never happened.

You can't score dirty goals with 4 guys sitting in the slot. Tampa took away the dirty goals and was daring us to shoot. We're not a great shooting team.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I don't know what value you guys put into hitting and it's effect on games/series but that little **** tyler johnson was hit a grand total of 3 times in the series. And unless they're counting kevin hayes' slash, push and collar grabbing the hits, I dont even remember him being touched once. He palat and kucherov were literally able to crawl into our zone every time. Still blows my mind how easy we made it for those guys, they're good, but like I said before...

Stepan, who as matched against kuckerov's line, had a 29% CF% against him and the jonson line in over 40 minutes of even strength TOI in the series. Our '1C' got absolutely murdered out there.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Tampa beat Detroit, beat Montreal, beat us, and they're going to beat Chicago and win the Championship.

Apparently everybody "makes it easy" on them.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Tampa beat Detroit, beat Montreal, beat us, and they're going to beat Chicago and win the Championship.

Apparently everybody "makes it easy" on them.

I said johnson and his linemates got off easy, not the team as a whole. I mean, I don't know, I know guys were banged up and there is this thing called destiny but is there nothing they could've done more to stop those guys? When was the last time the Rangers were dominated by a line and player (Johnson) like that in a series? They literally controlled play everytime they were out there, and advanced stats back it up.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I said johnson and his linemates got off easy, not the team as a whole. I mean, I don't know, I know guys were banged up and there is this thing called destiny but is there nothing they could've done more to stop those guys? When was the last time the Rangers were dominated by a line and player (Johnson) like that?

There's nothing anybody in the NHL has been able to do to stop that line since October.

They might be the best line in the league since Jagr-Nylander-Straka.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad