News Article: Nick Fotiu destroys Rangers game 7 effort

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Am I the only one who sees the irony here? People trashing Fotiu for his opinions because he "sucked as a hockey player", yet he was still a coach after his "crappy career", but people on here who have never laced up skates nor have spent their lives in hockey are right in their opinions?

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
This sentiment, which you keep repeating, has NOTHING to do with Fotiu's or anyone else's assessment of the team's effort that game. Distraction tactics like this, designed to steer the conversation away from the main point by moving it to an unrelated topic, are pretty sad. What will folks come up with to undermine AV's assessment that the effort wasn't there in game 7? Are folks going to now chime in with, who is AV to give an opinion, he was a bad hockey player?

"On that 7th game, we had... I don't want to say sub-par performances, but we didn't have the type of performances that permit you to win that game from our group." -NYR Coach, Alain Vigneault

Link: http://www.blueshirtsunited.com/video/vigneault-addresses-media-breakup-day

Spot

ON.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Am I the only one who sees the irony here? People trashing Fotiu for his opinions because he "sucked as a hockey player", yet he was still a coach after his "crappy career", but people on here who have never laced up skates nor have spent their lives in hockey are right in their opinions?

Arguments about his abilities as a player are one thing. Crass disrespect is another.

If you can't respect this guy for what he did to get his dream....then I have nothing for you.

Well pity maybe.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This sentiment, which you keep repeating, has NOTHING to do with Fotiu's or anyone else's assessment of the team's effort that game. Distraction tactics like this, designed to steer the conversation away from the main point by moving it to an unrelated topic, are pretty sad. What will folks come up with to undermine AV's assessment that the effort wasn't there in game 7? Are folks going to now chime in with, who is AV to give an opinion, he was a bad hockey player?

"On that 7th game, we had... I don't want to say sub-par performances, but we didn't have the type of performances that permit you to win that game from our group." -NYR Coach, Alain Vigneault

Link: http://www.blueshirtsunited.com/video/vigneault-addresses-media-breakup-day

Thats quite different than saying the players didn't try, which is a lazy argument.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Bingo. Bongo. Bango. Ba-bang, ba-bang!!!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Thats quite different than saying the players didn't try, which is a lazy argument.

I think it's just a more politically correct way to essentially say the same thing.

Unlike an outsider, he has to get these guys to follow him again next year. But considering the way AV usually speaks, that's probably about as much of a call out as one is going to see.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I think it's just a more politically correct way to essentially say the same thing.

Unlike an outsider, he has to get these guys to follow him again next year. But considering the way AV usually speaks, that's probably about as much of a call out as one is going to see.

Or perhaps AV is deflecting any criticism away from himself for the poor performance in 7.

TankLarkin

Will Cuylle is Ready.
Mar 3, 2012
Rochester, NY

there's a subset of posters here who only know Gary Bettman's version of the NHL. Same folks who think Jimi Hendrix sucks, and Katy Perry rocks. :naughty:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

That's not irony. Irony is people telling other people on a message board they could never question Nick Fotiu because they could never lace his skates while simultaneously questioning the integrity of actual current players.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014

If you watch his actual response in the video it doesn't look all that different than him saying the needed effort wasn't there. And in what way is someone stating an observation of what they saw an argument, from either the disagreement sense or from the trying to make a persuasive point sense?

To me, saying the players did or did not try their level best are nothing more than perspectives of what folks feel they saw. Personally, I was pretty underwhelmed with the effort and urgency. Others may see it entirely differently, which is fine and to be expected: we all view life through our unique lens and I don't see that either side is right or wrong in presenting their perspective on what they feel they observed. I try not to debate opinions and perspective as if they are facts. To each his/her own.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
If you watch his actual response in the video it doesn't look all that different than him saying the needed effort wasn't there. And in what way is someone stating an observation of what they saw an argument, from either the disagreement sense or from the trying to make a persuasive point sense?

To me, saying the players did or did not try their level best are nothing more than perspectives of what folks feel they saw. Personally, I was pretty underwhelmed with the effort and urgency. Others may see it entirely differently, which is fine and to be expected: we all view life through our unique lens and I don't see that either side is right or wrong in presenting their perspective on what they feel they observed. I try not to debate opinions and perspective as if they are facts. To each his/her own.

The effort was underwhelming because no one took the game by the horns and tried to win it with an individual effort. No one tried to make a chance happen. The Rangers played as a team and waited for the chance to open up and win it. I'm not saying the team didn't want to win, it looked like it at times, but that's not the case. They played a safe game and they couldn't get anything going Lundqvist let's in a bad goal (again) and Tampa locked it down. Honestly the better team won the game. It happens. It should not have happened but they did and Tampa wanted just as bad as the Rangers but went for it and got the break they needed when Lundqvist spit the bit (again). There really isn't much Fotiu said that I disagree with. His anger, tone in which it was said and overall analysis was spot on. And of anyone would know about how to correctly analysis a game it's him. He played it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad