News Article: Nick Fotiu destroys Rangers game 7 effort

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Little bit of overkill with Boogard and Brashear suggestions .....I think you know what the grit camp wants ....Just a bit of overall team pushback /2nd /3rd efforts would make a huge difference in the playoffs...especially at home . If the Rangers cannot as management group come together and figure that out then Ranger fans better get used to coming second or 3rd in the playoffs .

I know one thing....Hank will likely figure it out in a year or so and he will want out and have a chance on a team that does and is willing to battle harder for him in the playoffs .

I honestly don't think physicality can be taught....if it is not in players from the get go & I really doubt they will buy in to it ....thus new blood must be inserted to make that change . Management has to re stamp our hockey group . Some hard decisions will need to be made....standing pat hardly ever works .Maybe it is a good thing we are in cap trouble after all or else nothing might get changed .

I'm not sure you know what "know" means. You don't know anytbing about Hanks future, none of us do.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I guess nobody remembers Hayes grabbing Johnson by the throat and nearly slashing his ****ing arm off. That did so much to stop him.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
I guess nobody remembers Hayes grabbing Johnson by the throat and nearly slashing his ****ing arm off. That did so much to stop him.

Was that Johnson or Stamkos? I remember someone getting into Stamkos face, his teammates hudles around the Rangers, Stamkos bolted and laid in a cheap shot.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
He barely touched him...any person who has ever laced up a pair of skates would know that and never would stoop to using it as a point in an argument for having enough grit....Johnson likely will get a letter for the embellishment when that office catches up on it's paperwork . It must be hard for you guys to understand the grit camp when you use that as an example...LMAO...that is way out there . :shakehead Thanks for coming...

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
You're right, he should have hit him harder, then we would have scored in game 7.
Machine...if certain guys on our club could just play a bit more on the edge a wee bit more...very few roster changes would be needed and just minor at that . It has to be a team wide thing...I'm not advocating for a full blown goon ...that ship has sailed . Our forwards though should be embarrassed for their overall lack of extra effort/pushback and that likely is the reason why our blueline was beat up so bad in the first place mostly because of the Cap series . Our forwards never went after the Caps like they went after our crew back there...we may have won that war...but we lost the battle likely because of it .

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Our defense doesn't get beat up because of our forwards. Our defense gets beat up because they can't move the puck 5 feet without having a stroke.

Leetch Fan

Oct 12, 2014
I said all season as good as this team was from a W/L perspective they were not entertaining. They were the softest Rangers group I've seen in my lifetime. They showed no heart or push back. Rarely ever stuck up for each other, rarely cleared the front of the net, and never really got involved after the whistle when players stood over/mocked hank. Very frustrating to watch.

Agreed, at some point that stuff does make a difference.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I have come to the conclusion that "grit" is a dirty word for some folks.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

It's just used so frequently as a catch-all term for more complicated issues. Grit wasn't the issue against Tampa. Giving up ten 2 on 1s a game was an issue. Depth scoring was an issue. The defense being unable to move the puck quickly, and thus vulnerable to a quick forechecking team (as it was against LA last year) were all major issues.

If you want to fill the lineup with talented players who have a mean streak, I'm fine with that. But I really don't need to see another useless line of meat heads out there to just "send a message." We've gone through far too much of that trash over the last few years.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Depth scoring and defense were pretty easily the biggest problems all playoffs.

I don't buy this "they didn't get to the net" crap. Especially against the Caps, all they did was go to the net. But the puck wasn't getting there. And there lies your problem.

Eh it's more the fact that "grit" is this imaginary and all-encompassing entity that everyone moans that the Rangers lack whenever they lose in the playoffs. "Need more size" "No heart" "Need more winners" "didn't want it enough" are all good examples.

Last edited:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
If you want to fill the lineup with talented players who have a mean streak, I'm fine with that. But I really don't need to see another useless line of meat heads out there to just "send a message." We've gone through far too much of that trash over the last few years.

Watching the game evolve over the years, the last thing I'd want to see the Rangers doing is sacrificing talent for brawn.

It's one of the more difficult things for an organization to do successfully: Build a team that is physically punishing, yet talented enough to score after beating the opponent down a bit.

It's an element the Rangers have lacked and one I'd like to see added. All (edit:most) attempts by Sather to do this have been futile

Last edited:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Depth scoring and defense were pretty easily the biggest problems all playoffs.

I don't buy this "they didn't get to the net" crap. Especially against the Caps, all they did was go to the net. But the puck wasn't getting there. And there lies your problem.

Eh it's more the fact that "grit" is this imaginary and all-encompassing entity that everyone moans that the Rangers lack whenever they lose in the playoffs. "Need more size" "No heart" "Need more winners" "didn't want it enough" are all good examples.

I'd agree with most of the above.

I can't speak for the folks in the "grit guild", but I'd LOVE to see the Rangers acquire or develop some honest cops.

Players that can punish physically but do it mostly clean and within the rules. Guys that will stand up for team mates physically when necessary. I can't stand head hunting meat heads who have little to contribute talent wise or on the score sheet.

I understand how difficult it is to do this. That said other organizations seem to do it much better than we do. Sather has made mostly poor attempts at this with Pruster being perhaps the lone exception.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

I can't speak for the folks in the "grit guild", but I'd LOVE to see the Rangers acquire or develop some honest cops.

Players that can punish physically but do it mostly clean and within the rules. Guys that will stand up for team mates physically when necessary. I can't stand head hunting meat heads who have little to contribute talent wise or on the score sheet.

I understand how difficult it is to do this. That said other organizations seem to do it much better than we do. Sather has made mostly poor attempts at this with Pruster being perhaps the lone exception.

I mean, is there really a necessity though? How many teams have a "tone setter" on their roster that fits that mold? The two SCF teams don't, that's for sure. I don't think hitting is useless or anything, but the notion that you need punishing guys is a tad outdated imo. And teams that do have these tone setters are usually good hockey players. But again, I don't feel like they're nearly as common as some say.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Little bit of overkill with Boogard and Brashear suggestions .....I think you know what the grit camp wants ....Just a bit of overall team pushback /2nd /3rd efforts would make a huge difference in the playoffs...especially at home . If the Rangers cannot as management group come together and figure that out then Ranger fans better get used to coming second or 3rd in the playoffs .

I know one thing....Hank will likely figure it out in a year or so and he will want out and have a chance on a team that does and is willing to battle harder for him in the playoffs .

I honestly don't think physicality can be taught....if it is not in players from the get go & I really doubt they will buy in to it ....thus new blood must be inserted to make that change . Management has to re stamp our hockey group . Some hard decisions will need to be made....standing pat hardly ever works .Maybe it is a good thing we are in cap trouble after all or else nothing might get changed .

Lol. There's been what, 2 teams over the past 4 years with more playoff success than us? And Lundqvist is going to leave cause we're not tough enough? Where's he gonna go? St. Louis? Philadelphia? Boston? Okay, sure.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I mean, is there really a necessity though? How many teams have a "tone setter" on their roster that fits that mold? The two SCF teams don't, that's for sure. I don't think hitting is useless or anything, but the notion that you need punishing guys is a tad outdated imo. And teams that do have these tone setters are usually good hockey players. But again, I don't feel like they're nearly as common as some say.

It's a good point you are making here.

Lets look at two teams in Chicago and L.A.. With Chicago you can see the way the game has changed. With L.A. you can see how a team can still win Cups with a more traditional approach.

At this point it's a matter of preference. I'd prefer a team that has a bit of bite and physical push back to complement the the skill. That can never hurt imo.

That said, if you look at goals scored for the Rangers in the last few playoff runs it's clear they need to add finish as well. The more I look at this past run, the failure of players other than Nash not scoring was a problem that put us in a hole too many times.

Building a team that has talent, can play physical and still finish in the playoffs is extremely difficult....but that remains the dream for me.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Callahan sets the tone and leads his team to victory. What a player.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Grit can also be guys that shoot and head to the net for rebounds rather than peeling off and heading for a safe corner with no chance of being hit or for a rebound . We have to have led the league in that stat for sure . I'm sure the stat experts have a graph that shows all that and then some . You can argue all you like...but every die hard Ranger fan KNOWS that is the MO of most our forward crew .

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
Grit can also be guys that shoot and head to the net for rebounds rather than peeling off and heading for a safe corner with no chance of being hit or for a rebound . We have to have led the league in that stat for sure . I'm sure the stat experts have a graph that shows all that and then some . You can argue all you like...but every die hard Ranger fan KNOWS that is the MO of most our forward crew .
That's why we struggled to score this postseason. No one wanted to go to the dirty areas, and going to the dirty areas is the only way you're gonna score in the playoffs.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Good to see someone take a shot at Kreider for once.

However, Nick is as stupid as the fans who believe effort was the difference.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

The teams in the finals don't have any cops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad