News Article: Nick Fotiu destroys Rangers game 7 effort

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Didn't think you could name a consistent team. Guess the Rangers aren't the least bit unusual.

Hopefully, the day will someday come that you will understand that just because you're trying doesn't necessarily mean that you will win against an opponent that is also trying.

I would argue that Tampa is the more talented team. They may have four forwards that are better than the Rangers top forward, whomever that is.

They also have a superstar defenseman.

The only place the Rangers have a decided edge is in net and that wasn't enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Didn't think you could name a consistent team. Guess the Rangers aren't the least bit unusual.

Hopefully, the day will someday come that you will understand that just because you're trying doesn't necessarily mean that you will win against an opponent that is also trying.

I would argue that Tampa is the more talented team. They may have four forwards that are better than the Rangers top forward, whomever that is.

They also have a superstar defenseman.

The only place the Rangers have a decided edge is in net and that wasn't enough.

The question is irrelevant. If consistency is relative in your opinion then what's the point.

Maybe hopefully the day will come when you don't have to manufacture the other person's viewpoint for them, put words in their mouth, lump all opposing thoughts together and generally treat every viewpoint as though it were written by the same person.. you will be enlightened and grow as hockey fan and as person.

Where did you read me say " all they needed to do was try" and they would have won? You've purposely reduced my argument to this in an attempt to belittle. .since you can't get away with calling people names like a child.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If you guys can't cut the personal attacks then we're just gonna not have the thread. If you wanna keep discussing the topic, then get the BS under control. Last warning.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
That turd never scored a playoff goal in his career. One armed playoff Nash would be a better hockey player that Fotiu ever was.

What exactly is it that makes Nick Fotiu a...turd as you call him.

Please enlighten me on this.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Well he was an awful awful hockey player. Very typical Rangers fan favorite.

Ok. (chuckles)

I'm not going to sit here and tell you Nick was God's gift to hockey, but I would not characterize him as an awful hockey player. Very respectable skater. Decent wrist shot on the rare occasions he got the chance. You always knew when he was on the ice. A hard, clean checker. Something I always liked. And from the one encounter I had after a game, a genuinely nice guy who absolutely lived for the game of hockey.

He absolutely gave the Rangers and their fans something they desperately needed during his tenure. The game is very different now. Nicky was an absolute necessity back then.

Certainly given his back ground and the obstacles he over came to become an NHL'er, he deserves the respect of anyone who follows the game.

I'm chuckling again because I know you not would call him a turd to his face.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Ok. (chuckles)

I'm not going to sit here and tell you Nick was God's gift to hockey, but I would not characterize him as an awful hockey player. Very respectable skater. Decent wrist shot on the rare occasions he got the chance. You always knew when he was on the ice. A hard, clean checker. Something I always liked. And from the one encounter I had after a game, a genuinely nice guy who absolutely lived for the game of hockey.

He absolutely gave the Rangers and their fans something they desperately needed during his tenure. The game is very different now. Nicky was an absolute necessity back then.

Certainly given his back ground and the obstacles he over came to become an NHL'er, he deserves the respect of anyone who follows the game.

I'm chuckling again because I know you not would call him a turd to his face.

Well said, it was absolutely agonizing to watch the broad street bullies beat up the Rangers in the 1970s. Plus, he was born and raised in NYC (one of the first, if not the first to play in the NHL).

I don't agree with what he says in the article, but that doesn't change the fact he is a part of Ranger history I like to remember.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Guys like Fotiu are the reasons that era was so high scoring. Trash on skates playing against Gretzky.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Pretty sure Fotiu was never matched up against Gretzky. As a matter of fact we didnt see much of Edmonton back in the day. My problem with Nick his game was primarily heart and competition but his skill level was average except for that wrist shot ! So he views everything through his heartstrings and sheer will. Maybe the Rangers just got beat because they werent the better team ? I dont think he even considered that.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I didn't mean Fotiu specifically, I meant players with no talent. The average NHLer then would probably be the worst player in the league today.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Guys like Fotiu are the reasons that era was so high scoring. Trash on skates playing against Gretzky.

Not so sure. This era still has guys like Prust and Glass who probably have a similar school of thought.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
I didn't mean Fotiu specifically, I meant players with no talent. The average NHLer then would probably be the worst player in the league today.

Comparing different eras is silly. The average NHLer then was groomed entirely differently, from coaching, competition, medical, style of play, training, equipment, etc. You can also be naive and dismiss/pretend PEDs don't exist, but those too are vastly superior now and rampant in sports. If the average NHLer then had the same advantages, and the average NHLer now was groomed in that environment, I doubt they look too terribly different.

But era aside, some athletes through history have had a superb will to win and an almost insane tenacity to do whatever it takes to make that happen, or kill themselves trying, and the Rangers largely did not exhibit that in game 7. I see the same arguments here repeatedly trying to refute this. TB is an excellent team. Agree. The Rangers had injuries. They did. Or, do people really think the NYR don't want to win? Of course they want to win. All athletes inertly do. But again, there is a massive difference between wanting to win and doing everything it takes to try to win. Much like there is a massive difference between wanting to be wealthy and doing what it takes to try to make the money.

Frankly, everyone here can and should believe what they want. I thought they looked flat and, especially for a game 7, way too okay with being on the perimeter for my liking. If other people see it otherwise, all good. But to speak to the general posts the past few pages in here, I do hope the bickering on the topic dies down a bit. We can all disagree and be respectful about it. Let's not devolve into the NYR fans posting on facebook.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Comparing different eras is silly. The average NHLer then was groomed entirely differently, from coaching, competition, medical, style of play, training, equipment, etc. You can also be naive and dismiss/pretend PEDs don't exist, but those too are vastly superior now and rampant in sports. If the average NHLer then had the same advantages, and the average NHLer now was groomed in that environment, I doubt they look too terribly different.

But era aside, some athletes through history have had a superb will to win and an almost insane tenacity to do whatever it takes to make that happen, or kill themselves trying, and the Rangers largely did not exhibit that in game 7. I see the same arguments here repeatedly trying to refute this. TB is an excellent team. Agree. The Rangers had injuries. They did. Or, do people really think the NYR don't want to win? Of course they want to win. All athletes inertly do. But again, there is a massive difference between wanting to win and doing everything it takes to try to win. Much like there is a massive difference between wanting to be wealthy and doing what it takes to try to make the money.

Frankly, everyone here can and should believe what they want. I thought they looked flat and, especially for a game 7, way too okay with being on the perimeter for my liking. If other people see it otherwise, all good. But to speak to the general posts the past few pages in here, I do hope the bickering on the topic dies down a bit. We can all disagree and be respectful about it. Let's not devolve into the NYR fans posting on facebook.

Best post of the thread. :handclap:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The question is irrelevant. If consistency is relative in your opinion then what's the point.

Maybe hopefully the day will come when you don't have to manufacture the other person's viewpoint for them, put words in their mouth, lump all opposing thoughts together and generally treat every viewpoint as though it were written by the same person.. you will be enlightened and grow as hockey fan and as person.

Where did you read me say " all they needed to do was try" and they would have won? You've purposely reduced my argument to this in an attempt to belittle. .since you can't get away with calling people names like a child.

You said it was their lack of effort that cost them. I disagreed and asked you why their effort wasn't there.

That's how this started. You still have not explained why you believe they did not put forth enough effort.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
You said it was their lack of effort that cost them. I disagreed and asked you why their effort wasn't there.

That's how this started. You still have not explained why you believe they did not put forth enough effort.

Oh but I did... directly in post 489 and also I give my reasons in 491..

You.still have not read them..

NikC

Oct 7, 2008

Well done. I believe I was trying to embrace these same thoughts though you articulated them much more clearly.

Thanks

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011

Excellent job level setting everything.
I kind of felt that AV and staff between the injuries and the way Tampa was playing (similar to Game 5) decided to play Tampa's game (the old Torts game). I think that they decided to lay back, wait for a break, and rely on the fact they had Hank in net. They are very comfortable in OT and seemed prepared to play all night if need be. Maybe had Tampa come out pedal to the metal you would have seen a more passionate response from the Rangers, but the first period was very conservative. The Rangers are extremely comfortable playing that type of game.

While some might call, that "playing not to lose vs. playing to win" which is sort of what you refer to in your thread, that tactic was what Tampa utilized in Game 5 and Game 7. It's a legitimate approach to a game. All it takes is a bad break (or a weak backhander through a maze of players) and you are down 1-0 and need to adjust.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005

Don't mean to nit pick, but you said he was a "turd".

Upon further consideration is that a position you would like to correct?

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
No he was a terrible hockey player.

You state that as an absolute fact.

It is actually just your opinion.

Here are some others:

Craig Patrick : "He's got the hardest wrist shot on this team. He's refining his skills; he's got the basic skills. I think he's an all-round player now."

Don Maloney: ''Getting him back was the best move Craig made. It's unbelievable how well he's handling the puck. He holds on to it now and skates instead of getting rid of it. He's a big guy and people give him a lot of room.''

Read the entire article if your interested in broadening your ....limited perspective:

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/03/04/sports/change-in-priorities-for-fotiu.html

Whatever you may think of the man's skill, he does not deserve belittling or crass disrespect. Perhaps you could discuss the subject of his hockey skills and "turds" with him at an autograph signing or other event? You can let us all know how that turns out for you...if you've got the conviction.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
You state that as an absolute fact.

It is actually just your opinion.

Here are some others:

Craig Patrick : "He's got the hardest wrist shot on this team. He's refining his skills; he's got the basic skills. I think he's an all-round player now."

Don Maloney: ''Getting him back was the best move Craig made. It's unbelievable how well he's handling the puck. He holds on to it now and skates instead of getting rid of it. He's a big guy and people give him a lot of room.''

Read the entire article if your interested in broadening your ....limited perspective:

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/03/04/sports/change-in-priorities-for-fotiu.html

Whatever you may think of the man's skill, he does not deserve belittling or crass disrespect. Perhaps you could discuss the subject of his hockey skills and "turds" with him at an autograph signing or other event? You can let us all know how that turns out for you...if you've got the conviction.

Super hard wrist shot and uberpuck handling skills and couldnt produce any offense to save his life. I'm sure you could get guys to say Tanner Glass is great too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad