Prospect Info: Nicholas Baptiste (2013, 69th) – '17-18: Rochester #13 (AHL)

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - #Sabres prospect Nick Baptiste has always scored goals. He doesn't see why this year should be any different.

Baptiste Expects Goals To Be A Big Part Of His Game -

The goal totals for Nick Baptiste in junior hockey were pretty impressive. Over the past three seasons, including the Ontario Hockey League playoffs, he found the net nearly once every other game (to be exact, a goals-per-game average of .498). That includes 32 goals in 53 regular-season games last season with Sudbury and then Erie, and another 12 in 20 playoff games for the Otters.

The numbers don't lie, he says. "I like to score goals," the 6-foot-1, 199-pound right winger said on Saturday night, after his two first-period goals helped the Buffalo Sabres to a 6-2 victory over the New Jersey Devils in the Prospects Challenge Saturday night at First Niagara Center. Baptiste played the right side on a line with top prospect Jack Eichel at center and free-agent signee Evan Rodrigues on the left.

Baptiste, a third-round pick by the Sabres in 2013, is expected to be a big contributor for the Amerks as a rookie this season. "He's a finisher," Cunneyworth said. "If he can get any pucks in the slot, he's got a good shot. "What I notice is the power in his stride, the way he can come over and support from the off wing."

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...ste-expects-goals-big-part-his-game/72185902/

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@kevinoDandC -
The #Amerks with the AHL goal of the week. Nick Baptiste's 1st as a pro. 4-way passing from top of circles down.
Wowza. Up 2-1. Jerry D'Amigo top left circle to Jerome Leduc top right circle, to Cal O'Reilly at left edge, across to Nick Baptiste at right edge. Roofs.

@kevinoDandC -
Phil Varone, behind the end line, banks a rebound in off G Adam Wilcox. 1-0.
The point shot was deflected in the deep slot by Nick Baptiste and just bounced wide left.
Phil Varone gathered it in, played bumper pool.

Taken From The O-Zone - Kevin Oklobzija - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - Sunday, October 25.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...erks-heed-far--subtle-signs-coaches/74608112/

Rookie right winger Nick Baptiste scored his first goal, finishing off an amazing tic-tac-toe-tac-tic passing play - from himself, to D'Amigo, to Jerome Leduc, to Cal O'Reilly and finally back to him - at 2:15 of the second period. "My first pro goal, it's pretty meaningful," Baptiste said. "But more importantly, it was a goal that gave us the lead (2-1)."

Post-Game Interview - Nick Baptiste - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQTUclg0GtA

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

There was no announcement late Friday night on which member of the Rochester Americans will be joining the Buffalo Sabres for the road trip to western Canada. The handshake by Amerks coach Dan Lambert to Nick Baptiste was confirmation, however.

Baptiste scored a goal and assisted on another as the Amerks, despite being outplayed by a strong Hershey Bears team, posted a 5-4 victory on opening night. The second-year right winger has never played in the NHL. He produced 13 goals, 15 assists and 28 points in 62 games as a rookie last season. "I'm really excited," he said. "I'm not sure it's even sunk in."

Amerks forwards knew someone would get the call after the game because the Sabres need a replacement for injured right winger Evander Kane (three broken ribs). While Kyle Okposo (bruised knee) is returning to the lineup, the Sabres have only 12 healthy forwards and need an extra forward for the three games out west.

The game was a final audition for Baptiste, Justin Bailey and Dan Catenacci, who were probably the three leading candidates since Buffalo needs to replace Kane's speed and tenacity. "It was obviously in the back of my head but regardless of the callup, I just wanted to get off the right way," he said. "I was fortunate to play with two really good players."

Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Have to wonder how this line up shakes out. This only makes sense going into Sundays game if there's still doubts that okposo can play. Benching Deslauriers while walking into lucic, maroon, kassian, nurse and gryba while us starting 3 or 4 rookies, a broken ror, possibly a broken okposo, and Ennis and Gionta is asking to be pushed around. Grant won't be benched as he's the only one that can center the 4th line with girgensons having to play up the lineup for now. I doubt moulson gets benched this early especially after scoring...the obvious choice is benching des but if I'm Edmonton and I look at buffalo's roster I tell my team to lean on buffalo hard, wear them out and then let mcdavid and drai fly around at will.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
LaxSabre - Wanted to post these the other night but I had some trouble capturing the tweets.

@BuffaloSabres - It's official - Coach Bylsma confirms that Nick Baptiste will make his @NHL debut tonight. Drafted 69th overall in 2013.
@AmerksHockey - Forward Nick Baptiste, called up by the Buffalo Sabres after Friday's season-opener, will make his NHL debut tonight in Calgary. Congrats!

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
14 goal in 18 games. Dude can find the back of the net (even if the officials can't always tell when he does)

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Baptiste has always been a scorer with great wheels. Bailey has tremendous physical tools but doesn't have the natural scorer's touch like Baptiste. Great to see him developing in the A. Will probably stick next year in Buffalo.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Probably had the talent to stick this year but too many vets and cap issues I think someone mentioned.

I'd like to see Baptiste on a line with Eichel and Okposo, dunno how realistic that is though.

Baptiste just had a 4 goal game (technically)...he looked great meanwhile Nylander looked like the worst player on the ice IMO.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He leads the league in goals on a horrible team.

The guys that are within a goal of him have 6 and 9 more GP.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
He leads the league in goals on a horrible team.

The guys that are within a goal of him have 6 and 9 more GP.

Damn. That's incredible. He'll look good anywhere in the top-9. His speed and scoring is needed.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Awesome to hear his offensive game is finally coming along.

Man, if we end up getting NHL players out of all four of him, Fasching, Bailey, and Carrier we're both going to be well stacked for awhile and have some nice ammo for a trade.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Man, if we end up getting NHL players out of all four of him, Fasching, Bailey, and Carrier we're both going to be well stacked for awhile and have some nice ammo for a trade.

Oooo the cheap contracts. Cap space, check.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

They'll be like a clunkier version of Vanek, Pomminville, and Roy in 05-06

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3