Prospect Info: Nicholas Baptiste (2013, 69th) – '17-18: Rochester #13 (AHL)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
pi-69-top-1.png
pi-69-top-2.png

pi-69-top-3.png
pi-69-top-4.png

pi-69-bio-left.png
pi-69-bio-right.png

header-350x60-scouting-roundup-left.png
header-350x60-scouting-roundup-right.png

Source | Quote and/or Scouting Report |
Baptiste is a solid, two-way right-winger who rocketed up Central Scouting’s ranking of North American skaters. He jumped 44 spots to 61st overall in the final rankings, based upon his commitment to focusing on the defensive zone. Last year, Baptiste was all offense all the day, but this year he improved in all facets of his game and the scouts have taken note.​
FC
|
Baptiste is a hard-charging, complimentary power winger who is hard to knock off the puck when playing a consistent physical game. He's not overly fast but is smart with his positioning and knows where to be and how to get there. He's the type to take the puck and drive to the net rather than looking for a passing play despite being effective in dishing the puck off the rush.​
HF
|
Baptiste is a solid, two-way right-winger who rocketed up Central Scouting’s ranking of North American skaters. He jumped 44 spots to 61st overall in the final rankings, based upon his commitment to focusing on the defensive zone. Last year, Baptiste was all offense all the day, but this year he improved in all facets of his game and the scouts have taken note.​
|
Nicholas is a player we’ve seen a ton of potential in, even before his OHL Draft season began. Unfortunately multiple shoulder injuries slowed his development that year. He was still selected first round, 6th Overall, by the Sudbury Wolves out of the Ottawa Jr. enators Minor Midget Program. He is a very quick, agile player that is physical and puts great pressure on the forecheck. Baptiste’s biggest asset as a player is his speed. He possesses good hands and the ability to create time and space for himself to make a play. He has a great work ethic, battles really hard for the puck and can protect it very effectively on the wide drive.He competes to get to the front of the net, cycles the puck really well and puts great pressure on the fore-check, making sure to finish his hits. His best asset is definitely his speed, as he is the fastest player on the ice most nights. He has some creativity to make plays with the puck, is not intimidated to go to the dirty areas and doesn’t panic when he has the puck. He needs to watch some of the turnovers trying to force passes at times. He also needs to hit the net with more consistency. Like many players he will need to get stronger so that he can become a forceful power forward with great speed and quickness. Baptiste is a sure fire pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft and it wouldn’t be a surprise to us to see a team use a second round pick on him.​
|
Terry Pegula was touting hard workers in his most recent interview. That's what they're getting with Baptiste, a versatile forward with good size who can grind on a checking line or step into a more offensive role as needed. Baptiste blends a raging competitive spirit with nice power forward elements. He digs in and takes the puck hard to the crease and can certainly finish plays down low. The Wolves forward rode a solid second half of the OHL year into a strong showing for Canada at the 2013 IIHF U18 World Championship, where he scored three goals and eight points through the seven-game march to gold.​
|
A powerful skater propelled by a strong lower body .. generates a steady acceleration drive by pumping his legs hard and digging into the ice .. not overly fluid or graceful - and a bit awkward in startup due to a spread-out stance which doesn’t hamper quickness .. excels in down-low situations, creating plays using his wide, sturdy frame to bang bodies along with solid puckprotection skills .. impresses with his playmaking vision operating below the dots - and can find passing targets with surprising accuracy .. most effective keeping things simple .. doesn’t always keep his feet moving, and can be prone to over-handling the puck and getting trapped deep .. also plagued by some inconsistency - as he has a penchant for fading in the later periods after coming out flying in the first .. best attribute may be a steely determination - an ability to stick doggedly with plays and keep coming at opponents .. shows potential as a bottom-six NHL forward.​
|
At this point, Baptiste has to be a massive riser for the draft. He was lumped together with the likes of Dickinson, Bailey, Kujawinski, Moutrey, etc as a potential power forward, sometimes even at the back of that pack. But with the way he finished the season, I think he deserves to be moved to the forefront. If you ignore his slow start to the season, Baptiste was a near point per game player in the 2nd half. He's got good size at 6'1, pushing 200lbs, but he's also one of the premier skaters in the OHL. He moves effortlessly on the ice and possesses a serious extra gear. And he uses that speed pretty effectively to be a nuisance on the forecheck/without the puck. I thought he was fantastic for Team Canada at the U-18's, where he finished 2nd in scoring to Connor McDavid on the team. At the event, he was a very important player in all situations for the Gold medal winning team. In particular, I was impressed with his performance defensively and without the puck, forcing a lot of turnovers that translated to scoring chances. Like some of the similar players listed behind him, he needs to use his size more consistently. I'd love that physical component of his game to be present more often. I think he also needs to learn how to slow the game down in the offensive end and be patient with the puck. But there's a lot to like about Baptiste and the skill set he brings to the ice. The way he finished the season has to be encouraging.​
|
"It was really good for both me and Nick this season and something we kind of grew through together," Cull said. "That first weekend in Ottawa early in the season, a lot of scouts were asking me about him and I said, 'Don't rate him on how he's playing now. Rate him on how he finishes.' And I hold to those words now. Nick found his confidence and he really showed what kind of player he can be. Nick is our possible game-breaker for next year. He's a big, strong guy, his speed is a great asset, he can score and he does a lot of good work through his defence, the way he comes back and that's an underrated part of his game. And he's pretty durable, too. You talk to a lot of teams and there are always questions here and there about injuries, but he has held up well."​

header-350x60-multimedia-left.png
header-350x60-default-right.png

Last edited:

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
One of the best skaters in the draft, strong on the forecheck, can mix it up physically. Hockey sense might be a bit of a question but at minimum he should have a shot to be a great bottom 6er.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
McKeen's #64:
Caught fire after a pedestrian start (23-1-7-8) and blossomed on
Sudbury’s top line .. scored 14 goals in a 27-game run (27-14-
12-26) to finish third on the team with a career-high 21 goals ..
surprised with a standout performance winning gold with Team
Canada at the U18 Worlds - tying for second in team scoring
(7-3-5-8) .. sixth-overall pick in the 2011 OHL Priority Selection ..

SCOUTING REPORT .. a powerful skater propelled by a strong lower body .. generates a steady acceleration drive by pumping his legs hard and digging into the ice .. not overly fluid or graceful - and a bit awkward in startup due to a spread-out stance which doesn’t hamper quickness .. excels in down-low situations, creating plays using his wide, sturdy frame to bang bodies along with solid puckprotection skills .. impresses with his playmaking vision operating below the dots - and can find passing targets with surprising accuracy .. most effective keeping things simple .. doesn’t always keep his feet moving, and can be prone to over-handling the puck and getting trapped deep .. also plagued by some inconsistency - as he has a penchant for fading in the later periods after coming out flying in the first .. best attribute may be a steely determination - an ability to stick doggedly with plays and keep coming at opponents .. shows potential as a bottom-six NHL forward.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
FC's writeup:

45 NICK BAPTISTE
POSITION: Right Wing
SHOOTS: Right
TEAM: Sudbury (OHL)
BORN: August 4, 1995
VITALS: 6’-1” / 195 Lbs
STATS: 66 GP 21 G 27 A 48 PTS 44 PIM
SCOUTING REPORT: Baptiste is a hard charging, complementary, power winger with a powerful stride but is not overly fast straight line but is balanced and hard to knock off the puck. He also shows some smarts with his positioning and knowing where to be and when to get there. He is a solid puck handler, but does not possess the elite quickness to really dangle. Most of his offensive chances come within eight-to-10 feet of the net as it is most natural for him to shoot and drive the net rather than look for a passing play. However with that said, he can hit his mark when he does decide to dish the puck off the rush. He’s a strong forechecker who can really rattle defenders with his pressure or by delivering a bone crushing check. He plays with good defensive minded positioning, utilizes his size, reach and shows an understanding and willingness to get his frame into shooting and passing lanes. When he brings his aggressive physical game he can be more than a handful for his opponents. When he starts throwing his weight around he causes the opposition to become distracted.
Consistency in the physical game will need to be improved for Baptiste. He’s also not blessed with loads of hockey sense, but turned it on halfway through the year and really finished strong including
a solid performance at the U18’s.
NHL POTENTIAL: Top 9 Two-Way Winger

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I'll admit I don't know much about him, but I love the video Woodhouse put up here. Looks like he's strong on his skates, plays physical and has plenty of effort. Goes to the net, digs in the corners. Maybe he has more skill then what I saw, but definitely looks like a winner.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hockey Prospects.com #56:

Baptiste, Nicholas – RW – Sudbury Wolves (OHL) – 6’1” 190
Nicholas is a player we’ve seen a ton of potential in, even before his OHL Draft season began. Unfortunately multiple shoulder injuries slowed his development that year. He was still selected first round, 6th Overall, by the Sudbury Wolves out of the Ottawa Jr. enators Minor Midget Program. He is a very quick, agile player that is physical and puts great pressure on the forecheck. Baptiste’s biggest asset as a player is his speed. He possesses good hands and the ability to create time and space for himself to make a play. He has a great work ethic, battles really hard for the puck and can protect it very effectively on the wide
drive.He competes to get to the front of the net, cycles the puck really well and puts great pressure
on the fore-check, making sure to finish his hits. His best asset is definitely his speed, as he is the fastest player on the ice most nights. He has some creativity to make plays with the puck, is not intimidated to go to the dirty areas and doesn’t panic when he has the puck. He needs to watch some of the turnovers trying to force passes at times. He also needs to hit the net with more consistency. Like many players he will need to get stronger so that he can become a forceful power forward with great speed and quickness. Baptiste is a sure fire pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft and it wouldn’t be a surprise to us to see a team use a second round pick on him..
Quotable: “We had many internal discussions about when Baptiste was going to start playing to the expectations we had for him. He showed flashes late in the season. I thought he had some good games in Sochi.” - Mark Edwards
Quotable: “Nick stood out to us in Minor Midget, but we were waiting to see him show his potential at the OHL level as a true NHL prospect. As the 2012-2013 season went on, Nick finally started to show his true potential.” - Ryan Yessie

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
That's good. Always good to have drive/crash the net players. Obviously, cleaning up of play is mandatory but that's for everyone.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Again one of the youngest players chosen. I like the draft better and better. Sure it is based on potential but the guys who scout for a living have our picks rated very highly. They bring attributes to our team that will complement our skill players AND will make it tougher to play in our end. I was ready to fire Darcy--I will instead put him on double secret probation.....

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
From Brock's OHL List:

11. Nicholas Baptiste - Forward - Sudbury Wolves
At this point, Baptiste has to be a massive riser for the draft. He was lumped together with the likes of Dickinson, Bailey, Kujawinski, Moutrey, etc as a potential power forward, sometimes even at the back of that pack. But with the way he finished the season, I think he deserves to be moved to the forefront. If you ignore his slow start to the season, Baptiste was a near point per game player in the 2nd half. He's got good size at 6'1, pushing 200lbs, but he's also one of the premier skaters in the OHL. He moves effortlessly on the ice and possesses a serious extra gear. And he uses that speed pretty effectively to be a nuisance on the forecheck/without the puck. I thought he was fantastic for Team Canada at the U-18's, where he finished 2nd in scoring to Connor McDavid on the team. At the event, he was a very important player in all situations for the Gold medal winning team. In particular, I was impressed with his performance defensively and without the puck, forcing a lot of turnovers that translated to scoring chances. Like some of the similar players listed behind him, he needs to use his size more consistently. I'd love that physical component of his game to be present more often. I think he also needs to learn how to slow the game down in the offensive end and be patient with the puck. But there's a lot to like about Baptiste and the skill set he brings to the ice. The way he finished the season has to be encouraging.

TheOriginalSilf*

I'm a STH for the Sudbury Wolves and was hoping my Senators would take a flyer on this kid in the 3rd round.

You guys just picked up one of the most explosive skaters in this years draft class. Big, strong kid that has a great two-way game. Great hands and motor with a quick release. He started the season off slow, but really had a coming out party towards the end of the season and during the playoffs. He plays with a lot of energy and will throw around the body when needed to.

One knock I specifically have on Baptiste is that he needs to become more effective around the net if he wants to become a scorer in the NHL. As I've said, he has a good set of hands, but it seems once Baptiste is in close, he doesn't know what to do with the puck. Seeing Baptiste develop a nose for the net and working on his puck skills in traffic will greatly benefit his game moving forward.

I believe you Baptiste will eventually become a 3rd liner with 2nd line potential.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm a STH for the Sudbury Wolves and was hoping my Senators would take a flyer on this kid in the 3rd round.

You guys just picked up one of the most explosive skaters in this years draft class. Big, strong kid that has a great two-way game. Great hands and motor with a quick release. He started the season off slow, but really had a coming out party towards the end of the season and during the playoffs. He plays with a lot of energy and will throw around the body when needed to.

One knock I specifically have on Baptiste is that he needs to become more effective around the net if he wants to become a scorer in the NHL. As I've said, he has a good set of hands, but it seems once Baptiste is in close, he doesn't know what to do with the puck. Seeing Baptiste develop a nose for the net and working on his puck skills in traffic will greatly benefit his game moving forward.

I believe you Baptiste will eventually become a 3rd liner with 2nd line potential.

:handclap: Whether he pans out or not, this is the kind of player we need to be looking at every draft. Some leaguewide fans still think of Buffalo as that post-lockout team of little skating demons, but the truth is in the past few years we've been to my eyes one of the more underwhelming skating teams in the league while being of average at best in size/physicality. No guys with elite top speed. Ennis for example is reasonably fast but his elite attributes are more in his agility and anything to do with tight spaces.

We need to stock the cupboard with guys with wheels and above-average size. That is what competing in the NHL today looks like. Recent drafts have started bringing in size, physicality, two-way play, and quality speed in our prospects in different combinations. If a kid like Baptiste can potentially bring those attributes as a forechecking third liner with a bit of touch then this is a good pick well spent. Anything more would be gravy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad