Prospect Info: Nicholas Baptiste (2013, 69th) – '17-18: Rochester #13 (AHL)

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Feel bad for the third guy on that line if they play together.

"Guys, wait for me. Slow Down!"...

probably DeBrincat. Definitely not as fast as those two but he keeps up. Can't wait for CMD to be healthy and to see this line in action. Pure speed and skill

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Future top 6 forward, his development has been almost perfect since being drafted, he has taken big steps in back to back seasons. Last year he really developed his offensive game, this year he has become a complete player. Its tough to say he close how is to being NHL ready, but he could make a push for a roster spot next year.

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
If his hands were softer he would be one of the top prospects in all of Hockey.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
His hands arent like stone are they? Just not quick?
Not stone in the sense he's going to completely flub breakaways Brian Holzinger style. But he shows very little stick handling ability. He's not a great puck handler that's for sure. Probably his biggest weakness.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Not stone in the sense he's going to completely flub breakaways Brian Holzinger style. But he shows very little stick handling ability. He's not a great puck handler that's for sure. Probably his biggest weakness.

Is that even something you can teach, seems more like a natural ability to me?

I can't recall an instance off of the top of my head where a player's puck handling increased dramatically from his draft year to his peak years but I'm likely missing something obvious.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Is that even something you can teach, seems more like a natural ability to me?

I can't recall an instance off of the top of my head where a player's puck handling increased dramatically from his draft year to his peak years but I'm likely missing something obvious.

Hands are probably the thing you see guys improve the least. Stick-handling -- informed by a player's hands but a distinct skill -- you can still work on at that age but I think you rarely see too much in the gains department. Too much of a guy having "soft hands" is just natural hand-eye coordination and most of the rest is probably developed working with pucks endlessly as a child/early teen.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Hands are probably the thing you see guys improve the least. Stick-handling -- informed by a player's hands but a distinct skill -- you can still work on at that age but I think you rarely see too much in the gains department. Too much of a guy having "soft hands" is just natural hand-eye coordination and most of the rest is probably developed working with pucks endlessly as a child/early teen.

Baptiste like many top players can probably dangle like crazy in low intensity situations. Its just super rare for guys to be able to do it in game situations. Less development in youth and more the natural skill/cold blood thing to me.

I actually like that about his game in that he doesn't seem to force the slick moves compared to other guys. He knows thats not his game and seems to play to his strengths.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Williams with a couple of nice saves on Del Colle to start things off here in Game #4.
Vande Sompel finds the lane through traffic in front. Williams makes the save.
Otters get games first power-play - Desrocher gets rwo minutes for high sticking - 7:08 of the first period.
Otters get a couple of chances but no goal - Generals kill the power-play.

Crud - Generals score first - Matt Mistle with the goal - 9:21 into the first period. Assists - Anthony Cirelli and Michael Dal Colle.
Otters penalty - Jake Marchment - highstick - got up from a check and stick hit a Generals player - 10:24 into the first period.
Generals take advantage of the penalty and score 13 seconds later - 2-0 Generals - shot from point goes off Kurtis MacDermid and in.
Goal scored by Mitchell Vande Sompel - assisted by Cole Cassels - time of the power-play goal - 10:37 into the first period.

Delay Of Game called on the Generals - Matt Mistle - Otters power-play for two minutes - 13:15 into the first period.
A couple of chances by Elle and Baptiste - Appleby with two nice saves.
Alex Debrincat gets a high-stick to the mouth and draws blood - four minute high-stick call on Chris Carlisle.
Debrincat gets called for a misconduct dive. Otters will have a 5 on 3 PP for 24 seconds.

GOAL ERIE OTTERS - Nick Baptiste - Otters trail 2-1 - The goal was scored on the 5 on 3 advantage so the Otters will still be on the power-play for 1:41.
Remi Elle and Connor McDavid with the assists - PPG - 15:10 of the first period.

GOAL ERIE OTTERS - Dylan Strome ties the game - 2-2 - PPG - 15:43 of the first period. Wild scramble in front of the net and Strome knocks home the puck.
Assists - Nick Baptiste and Connor McDavid - each with their second points of the game - 33 seconds apart.

End First Period - Oshawa 2 (Mistle - Vande Sompel) Erie 2 (Baptiste - Strome) - Shots On Goal - Erie 10 Oshawa 7.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Devin Williams robs Sam Harding - keeps this a 2-2 game early in the second period.
Nice backcheck from Patrick Muprhy and Travis Dermott to stop a potential breakaway then Connor McDavid stumbles the other way - messes up a 2 on 1 chance for the Otters.
Jake Marchment misses wide on a shot from in close. Remi Elle with a chance of his own - stop by Dan Appleby.

Oshawa scores - regains the lead - 3-2 - Matt Mistle with his second goal of the game - backhand sneaks past the pads of Devin Williams.
Assists - Anthony Cirelli - Michael McCarron - goal scored at 4:44 of the second period. Cirelli with his second assist of the game.

Dal Colle with a chance from the slot - Williams just gets a piece of it. Baptiste shot through traffic - just goes wide of the net.
Baptiste tries to jam the puck by Appleby - gets in a scuffle with Harding and gets called for a slashing penalty -
9:28 of the second period - Generals to the power-play - Otters kill the penalty.

Oshawa scores - Stephan Desrocher shot goes top shelf on Devin Williams - through a screen - 4-2 Generals. Assist - Sam Harding - Goal scored - 12:12 of the second period.

GOAL ERIE OTTERS - Jake Marchment gets behind the Generals defense and brings Otters within one. Oshawa 4-3.
Assist - Cory Genoverse - Goal scored - 12:22 of the second period.

GOAL ERIE OTTERS - Tie Game - Darren Raddysh with the Goal. Assists - Connor McDavid and Alex DeBrincat - Goal scored - 13:57 of the second period.

GOAL ERIE OTTERS - Connor McDavid gives Otters their first lead of the game!!! 5-4!!! Goal-Three Assists for McDavid.
Assist - Dylan Strome - Goal scored - 17:44 of the second period.

McDavid almost scores again - Appleby robs him.

Crap! Oshawa scores - .6 seconds left in the second period - Josh Brown bats it home and we are tied 5-5. Assists - Cole Cassels - Stephan Desrocher.

End Second Period - Erie 5 (Baptiste - Strome - Marchment - Raddysh - McDavid) Oshawa 5 (Mistle - Vande Sompel - Mistle - Desrocher - Brown).
Shots On Goal - Second Period - Oshawa 11 Erie 8 - Game - Oshawa 18 Erie 18.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Final Score - Oshawa Generals 6 Erie Otters 5 (OT) - Cole Cassels wins it for the Oshawa Generals - PPG - 8:19 into overtime.
Oshawa leads the series 3-1 - can clinch the Ontario Hockey League Championship with a win on Friday night at home in Game #5.

Nicholas Baptiste finished the game with one goal and one assist.

Hopefully Erie and Baptiste come back in the series - win it - make the Memorial Cup. Go Baptiste!!! Go Otters!!!

Unless the Otters make the Memorial Cup - these will be the last of these updates by me this year as I'll be away from the computer on Friday for Game #5 as well as Sunday for Game #6 and Tuesday for Game #7. (Hopefully the last two are played and all three are shown on the NHL Network either LIVE or Tape Delay so I can watch at a later time.) Hope you enjoy these updates.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - Rogers Ontario Hockey League Championship Series - Game #4 - Oshawa Win Wild OT Game - 6-5 - Take 3-1 Series Lead - OntarioHockeyLeague.com

Erie, Pennsylvania - Cole Cassels scored 8:19 into overtime of Game #4 of the Rogers OHL Championship Series on Wednesday, giving the Oshawa Generals a 6-5 victory and a 3-1 series lead heading back to home ice for Game #5. The Vancouver Canucks prospect camped out to the right of the Erie goal on the powerplay, lifting a loose puck over the outstretched pad of Devin Williams as the Generals managed to get by the Otters in front of a sold out Erie Insurance Arena.

LaxSabre - Buffalo Sabres Prospect Nick Baptiste (one goal-one assist) and Connor McDavid (one goal-three assists) star for Erie in the loss. McDavid now has 49 points in this years playoffs and is three points away from passing the record of 51 points currently held by two players which one of them is former Buffalo Sabre Jason Dawe.

Game #5 of the series will be on Friday night at the General Motors Centre. The game can be seen LIVE on Sportsnet 360 (LaxSabre - and perhaps LIVE on the NHL Network here in the United States too - theres no NHL playoff game being played on Friday night so no need to show NHL On The Fly or NHL Tonight.) when the puck drops at 7:05 pm ET.

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/wednesday-highlights-generals-in-ot/166340

Boxscore-Game Summary - Generals 6 Otters 5 (OT) - http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/schedule/show/game/69758

Last edited:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
5/18/15 - SABRES PROSPECTS REPORT: BAPTISTE, OTTERS FALL IN OHL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES
By Kris Baker - SabresProspects.com

20150518-Baptiste-TopStory-DL.jpg

The deep playoff run ended for the Erie Otters Friday following a 6-2 loss to the Oshawa Generals in Game 5 of the Rogers OHL Championship Series.

And so, for the first time since 2007, the Sabres will not have one of their prospects participating at the Memorial Cup, where the winners of the Ontario, Western and Quebec leagues do battle with the host team for the top prize in Canadian major-junior hockey.

Sabres forward prospect Nicholas Baptiste (2013, third round) logged a minus-3 rating in Friday's loss, leaving him with one goal and two assists in the final round, and totals of 12 goals and 23 points in 20 playoff contests.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - Rogers OHL Championship Series - Game #4 - Otters Fall In Overtime 6-5 - OttersHockey.com - Wednesday, May 13.
http://ottershockey.com/article/otters-fall-6-5-in-ot

Erie, Pennsylvania - A 5-5 tie sent Game #5 of the OHL Championship Series to overtime where a power play goal for Oshawa gave the Generals a 3-1 lead on the series. Connor McDavid notched four points in the loss with two in the first period.

Game Recap - Rogers OHL Championship Series - Game #5 - Generals Win Robertson Cup - OttersHockey.com - Friday, May 15.
http://ottershockey.com/article/generals-win-j-ross-robertson-cup

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada - Nick Betz opened the scoring, but three quick goals for the Oshawa Generals the opening they needed to pull ahead and take the OHL Championship Final with a 6-2 win in Game #5. Connor McDavid was presented with the Wayne Gretzky Award as OHL Playoff MVP.

Game Recap - Rogers OHL Championship Series - Game #5 - Oshawa Generals Win Robertson Cup - OntarioHockeyLeague.com - Friday, May 15.
http://ontariohockeyleague.com/article/oshawa-generals-win-robertson-cup/166349

Boxscore-Game Summary - Oshawa Generals 6 Erie Otters 2 - http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/schedule/show/game/69759

Game Recap - Rogers OHL Championship Series - Game #5 - Oshawa Generals 2015 OHL Playoff Champions - OshawaGenerals.com - Friday, May 15.
http://www.oshawagenerals.com/article/the-oshawa-generals-are-2015-ohl-champions

LaxSabre - Sorry for the lateness in linking to these recaps.
Aside from two hours or so on Saturday afternoon where I watched an online feed of the United States-Russia WC Semifinal - I was away from the computer all this weekend.
In fact I wasn't even home all weekend and my watching of the Otters Game #5 loss was me fast forwarding through the game in one hours time on Saturday morning - sigh.
Congrats to the Oshawa Generals on winning the Robertson Cup and representing the OHL in this weeks Memorial Cup.
Since I have no rooting interest in any of the four teams - gotta go for the home league - so Go Generals!

Congrats to Nick Baptiste - Connor McDavid - Dylan Strome and the rest of the Otters on a great run.
Now we get to see Baptiste - Joshua Bailey - Jean Dupuy (and perhaps a couple of others) up in Rochester next season.
We also get to see who replaces them either in the junior or college ranks. Hopefully its a great 2015-2016 season for Sabres Prospects.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad