Prospect Info: Nicholas Baptiste (2013, 69th) – '17-18: Rochester #13 (AHL)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
DraftSite wrote:
Big wing who moves well and plays strong down low and on the wall. Very good speed and quickness for a big man and great upside for this once high-scoring midget player. Uses his body and is above average speed in battles for the puck. Kills penalties. Is willing to take the hit to make the play. Displays a very good release with his shot. He was selected to the roster for the World Junior Under-18 Tournament in April.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
One knock I specifically have on Baptiste is that he needs to become more effective around the net if he wants to become a scorer in the NHL. As I've said, he has a good set of hands, but it seems once Baptiste is in close, he doesn't know what to do with the puck. Seeing Baptiste develop a nose for the net and working on his puck skills in traffic will greatly benefit his game moving forward.
We've been looking for a player like this since Brian Holzinger, Jason Dawe and Vaclav Varada left the team!

In all seriousness though he has a similar skill set to Catanecci in a bigger body and on the wing. I think Cat's offensive game will translate better at the pro level but Baptiste is another guy who would have been a late 1st or early 2ndpick in most drafts.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Sudbury Star wrote:
Cull was happy to hear of Baptiste's higher ranking, as well as his series of strong performances in Sochi.

"It was really good for both me and Nick this season and something we kind of grew through together," Cull said. "That first weekend in Ottawa early in the season, a lot of scouts were asking me about him and I said, 'Don't rate him on how he's playing now. Rate him on how he finishes.' And I hold to those words now. Nick found his confidence and he really showed what kind of player he can be."

Baptiste had 21 goals and 27 assists, along with 44 penalty minutes, in 66 games this OHL season. He followed that with three goals and an assist in nine playoff games.

Cull believes he's poised for bigger and better things next season.

"Nick is our possible game-breaker for next year," Cull said. "He's a big, strong guy, his speed is a great asset, he can score and he does a lot of good work through his defence, the way he comes back and that's an underrated part of his game."

Baptiste became one of Sudbury's most reliable penalty killers down the stretch and was even called on to take key face-offs.

"And he's pretty durable, too," Cull said. "You talk to a lot of teams and there are always questions here and there about injuries, but he has held up well."

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Subury Star -- Baptiste selected by Sabres:
“To be picked in the third round, that’s pretty high, and I think that’s a credit to my work ethic and how I developed last season,” Baptiste said. “I’m really excited for development camp and hopefully, I’ll get to go to main camp, but if not, I’m excited to head back to Sudbury.”

And the Wolves will be excited to have him back, as he’s expected to be a key player in Sudbury’s drive toward OHL contendership.

Baptiste grew up cheering for the Toronto Maple Leafs, but he was proud to pull on a Sabres jersey Sunday evening.

“I just look forward to the opportunity,” Baptiste said. “I know it’s a world-class organization. I’m happy to be a part of it.

“They’ll have a young team next season and the team will be having some success when I’m ready to play. It’s great to be chosen by a team that I can help to be successful in the near future.”

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Note: OP Addition

The OP's been fully edited and updated, including two games from the 2012 Junior U20 Club World Cup in Russia.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Looks like his strong summer and solid camp have had a slingshot effect on the start of his season. Still love this kid's game, glad to see it translating for him with early season success.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nicholas continues to tear if up in the OHL. Have to think he's going to get at least some considerations for Canada at the WJC's with this sort of start.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Nicholas continues to tear if up in the OHL. Have to think he's going to get at least some considerations for Canada at the WJC's with this sort of start.

I feel the team is already pretty much pre picked, but hopefully he gets some attention. His speed especially could be useful on the big european ice.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I feel the team is already pretty much pre picked, but hopefully he gets some attention. His speed especially could be useful on the big european ice.

I admit, I'm being greedy with the idea. He's a longshot, probably longer than Foligno was the year he got the invite and played so well in a checking/energy role.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I admit, I'm being greedy with the idea. He's a longshot, probably longer than Foligno was the year he got the invite and played so well in a checking/energy role.

Ahead of him will be :

Drouin, Domi, Horvat, Laughton, Lazar, Mantha, McDavid, Petan, Poirier, Reinhart, Rychel, Shinkaruk, Wilson (assuming he gets sent back).

Thats your 13.

Probably also Gaunce, Hudon are above him, not on my list though.

On the plus side though Baptiste may be the best PK guy in that group, and speed wise on the big ice surface he would excel. If he makes it he deserves it. If he does not, you have to admit its a pretty talented group he is losing out to.

At the least though he should be at the final camp.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ahead of him will be :

Drouin, Domi, Horvat, Laughton, Lazar, Mantha, McDavid, Petan, Poirier, Reinhart, Rychel, Shinkaruk, Wilson (assuming he gets sent back).

Thats your 13.

Probably also Gaunce, Hudon are above him, not on my list though.

On the plus side though Baptiste may be the best PK guy in that group, and speed wise on the big ice surface he would excel. If he makes it he deserves it. If he does not, you have to admit its a pretty talented group he is losing out to.

At the least though he should be at the final camp.

Egads that's a helluva lineup for the Nats. But I hold out some slim hope that Nick continues to stay hot and impresses the hell out of Sutter and Salmond et. al. It would be delicious just for the waling of those who want THEIR guy from THEIR team much like Marcus making it a few years ago. I've got nothing if I ain't got schadenfreude.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Egads that's a helluva lineup for the Nats. But I hold out some slim hope that Nick continues to stay hot and impresses the hell out of Sutter and Salmond et. al. It would be delicious just for the waling of those who want THEIR guy from THEIR team much like Marcus making it a few years ago. I've got nothing if I ain't got schadenfreude.

There are also injuries, which could play a role as well.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

That's practically my motto these days ;)

TheOriginalSilf*

I'm a STH for the Sudbury Wolves and was hoping my Senators would take a flyer on this kid in the 3rd round.

You guys just picked up one of the most explosive skaters in this years draft class. Big, strong kid that has a great two-way game. Great hands and motor with a quick release. He started the season off slow, but really had a coming out party towards the end of the season and during the playoffs. He plays with a lot of energy and will throw around the body when needed to.

One knock I specifically have on Baptiste is that he needs to become more effective around the net if he wants to become a scorer in the NHL. As I've said, he has a good set of hands, but it seems once Baptiste is in close, he doesn't know what to do with the puck. Seeing Baptiste develop a nose for the net and working on his puck skills in traffic will greatly benefit his game moving forward.

I believe you Baptiste will eventually become a 3rd liner with 2nd line potential.

UPDATE:

While I'm no longer a STH with the team, I actually work for the Sudbury Wolves and their game day operations so I still watch and analyze each home game while interacting with the players, so I feel as though I have an even better perspective to hopefully provide for you guys.

He's gone beyond my expectations already and we're what... a month into the season? Baptiste has picked up his game right where he left it after finishing last season very strongly and then some. I stick by my opinion that he's one of the most explosive skaters in the OHL and he does look like he's fitting into his frame a bit more this season. My biggest complaint last season was that Baptiste didn't have a nose for the net where he could really develop into a pure scorer if he had one. Well... yelp, he found it. He's playing bigger this year and it's showing dividends on the score sheet.

Great hands, fantastic motor, good release and a smart player. He's playing a much more complete game this season, so far, and I'm even more upset that the Senators couldn't pick him up this past Summer.

Another thing I'd like to comment on is his attitude. Working with the Sudbury Wolves in a Game Day Operations capacity this year is allowing me to work up close and observe the players off the ice and during fan interactions. Baptiste is far and away the most approachable guy on the team (excluding perhaps Captain, Kevin Raine). He seems to always be smiling and he never misses the opportunity to acknowledge the fans be it off-the-ice or on his way out onto the rink. His attitude has never been a question, but I thought I'd bring it up because he's certainly gained a lot of respect from me because of his demeanor. He's absolutely the fan favorite this season in Sudbury.

Trade him to Ottawa, please?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
UPDATE:

While I'm no longer a STH with the team, I actually work for the Sudbury Wolves and their game day operations so I still watch and analyze each home game while interacting with the players, so I feel as though I have an even better perspective to hopefully provide for you guys.

He's gone beyond my expectations already and we're what... a month into the season? Baptiste has picked up his game right where he left it after finishing last season very strongly and then some. I stick by my opinion that he's one of the most explosive skaters in the OHL and he does look like he's fitting into his frame a bit more this season. My biggest complaint last season was that Baptiste didn't have a nose for the net where he could really develop into a pure scorer if he had one. Well... yelp, he found it. He's playing bigger this year and it's showing dividends on the score sheet.

Great hands, fantastic motor, good release and a smart player. He's playing a much more complete game this season, so far, and I'm even more upset that the Senators couldn't pick him up this past Summer.

Another thing I'd like to comment on is his attitude. Working with the Sudbury Wolves in a Game Day Operations capacity this year is allowing me to work up close and observe the players off the ice and during fan interactions. Baptiste is far and away the most approachable guy on the team (excluding perhaps Captain, Kevin Raine). He seems to always be smiling and he never misses the opportunity to acknowledge the fans be it off-the-ice or on his way out onto the rink. His attitude has never been a question, but I thought I'd bring it up because he's certainly gained a lot of respect from me because of his demeanor. He's absolutely the fan favorite this season in Sudbury.

Trade him to Ottawa, please?
Awesome update. Good to hear he seems to be developing his work around the crease and in right areas. Positioning, body positioning and that stuff in and around the crease and slot is very coachable. Glad it's on the up and up.

Keep the updates coming. Much appreciated.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I love to see things like this.

"Buffalo drafted him in the 3rd round if it was this year he woulda been a 1st round"

Fans have a lot to look forward too.

ZeroPT*

Loving this pick. And I thought he would've been gone by 38 on draft day...

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I love to see things like this.

"Buffalo drafted him in the 3rd round if it was this year he woulda been a 1st round"

Interesting facts:

Baptiste was one of the youngest players drafted last year. He is only 3 months older than Sam Reinhart.

He was no. 61 on NHL Central Scouting's final list of the top draft-eligible skaters in North America. Sabres drafted him 69th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad