Niagara IceDogs 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Comp #5 overall, comp end of 2nd I believe, Dickinson for picks should be ~3(2nds & 3rds).
5 vets brought in for; 2(2nds), 3(3rds & 4ths), 5, *(4 &5).

I’ll take the side of compensatory 5th overall pick over a few 4ths and a couple of 5ths

one trade has nothing to do with the other.

i would take the comp pics as well, its smart, but trading all those picks for guys like jesus, ribeu, even zito, paiaps, thats not value, thats wasteespecially when you then fill your management with guys who cant even win at the jrb level.

. you can still trade dickenson, get all those picks, and still make smart cost effective trades. just because you get from one doesnt mean you can draft like a drunken sailer right after.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It's awkwardly worded for sure, but I believe @dirty12 meant that if they trade a defective Dickinson they will get more back in return for him than they spent in total bringing in those 5 vets.

I agree @OHL4Life that if anything they overpaid a bit for those vets.
No doubt the price paid for the OAs was on the high end if the last off-season/pre-season is the measuring stick; but let’s wait for the end of this pre-season to say ‘over paid’.

The cost of Gaidamak was reasonable and Zito may have been a bit cheap, imo; I think Zito is not just very good, but probably the best over all Icedogs’s player this season.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
one trade has nothing to do with the other.

i would take the comp pics as well, its smart, but trading all those picks for guys like jesus, ribeu, even zito, paiaps, thats not value, thats wasteespecially when you then fill your management with guys who cant even win at the jrb level.

. you can still trade dickenson, get all those picks, and still make smart cost effective trades. just because you get from one doesnt mean you can draft like a drunken sailer right after.
That is your take.
I believe the opportunity to claim the player defective affords the Icedogs to be competitive now without any future cost

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
No doubt the price paid for the OAs was on the high end if the last off-season/pre-season is the measuring stick; but let’s wait for the end of this pre-season to say ‘over paid’.
I think we are saying the same thing. I didn't say they overpaid. I said "if anything they overpaid a bit". Meaning it was closer to an overpay than an underpay.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think we are saying the same thing. I didn't say they overpaid. I said "if anything they overpaid a bit". Meaning it was closer to an overpay than an underpay.
But what (I think) Zito does for Fimis-Castle and 2nd line of Papais-Gaidamak-Sirrizotti does for overall depth at virtually zero cost is the right way for the Icedogs to use the defect rule at this time.
Two OA RD added to a team with 4 other RD …?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
But what (I think) Zito does for Fimis-Castle and 2nd line of Papais-Gaidamak-Sirrizotti does for overall depth at virtually zero cost is the right way for the Icedogs to use the defect rule at this time.
Two OA RD added to a team with 4 other RD …?
How can you say virtually zero cost? Lol. If you're saying because they're using the defect rule, then you have to say they're trading away the 4th overall pick for those guys. That's a huge thing to give away. Also pushes their top 5 talent back a year, which makes the Castle/Fimis group not line up with the '07 draft group when you'll get that high pick again. You win when you have a bunch of good players in the same 2 age groups. They're making it so their big age groups are 3 years apart. You don't win like that in junior hockey

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
How can you say virtually zero cost? Lol. If you're saying because they're using the defect rule, then you have to say they're trading away the 4th overall pick for those guys. That's a huge thing to give away. Also pushes their top 5 talent back a year, which makes the Castle/Fimis group not line up with the '07 draft group when you'll get that high pick again. You win when you have a bunch of good players in the same 2 age groups. They're making it so their big age groups are 3 years apart. You don't win like that in junior hockey
Icedogs actually have 3 age groups of high picked players to be aided by the three recently acquired OAs, lol. The larger ‘04 group next season will be surrounded by stellar groups of OAs and ‘05s and new import; and 2-1sts, …in a great spot to develop imo.
2003: 1st-D; 2nd-F,F,F; 3rd-D; 5th-G; import-F
2004: 1st-F,F; 2nd-D,F; 3rd-F; 5th-F; import-D
2005: 2nd-F,G,F; 3rd-D.
I implied virtually zero cost rather than no cost because it will be one year before that top 5 talent is on the roster. I don’t think the top selected ‘06-D will be missed a whole lot on a D core with 2-OA, 2-‘03, two or more ‘04, and an ‘05. If I were to nitpick, it’s because trading for two OA RD makes 6 of 8 D that are right shot D.

Last edited:

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Dickinson going USHL apparently? Has anyone heard if this is just him trying to get traded to another OHL team or actually where hes going? Would be brutal to not get any sort of return for him

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
What is the rules if a player defects to the USHL.
1) You trade him for conditional picks and if he doesn't come, you get none of them. You'd also get 5th overall and the last pick in the 2nd round as comp for him not signing (KIT with Fantilli, OTT with Moldenhauer)

2)You claim him defective but don't trade him and get the 5th overall pick and the last pick in the 2nd round and lose his rights. He would be eligible to be drafted in the OHL next draft by anyone other than Niagara (KIT with Cam Fowler)

3) You keep his rights hoping he changes his mind but get nothing if he doesn't (SAR with Tyler Weiss)

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
It's still early in the new ownership but I'm impressed with the early moves and direction that the IceDogs are going in as they aim to be the OHL host for the Memorial Cup next year. Of course it won't hurt their chances with Wayne Gretzky as part owner!

With the addition of Jesus and Ribau on defense, I'm guessing that Enright will be dealt once the trade window opens. Cato, the only other 03 Dman, has been named captain and will be an obvious OA the following year and the young Dmen need ice time.

The IceDogs would be smart to deal Enright now and get back some picks.

Reactions: three dog night

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
It's still early in the new ownership but I'm impressed with the early moves and direction that the IceDogs are going in as they aim to be the OHL host for the Memorial Cup next year. Of course it won't hurt their chances with Wayne Gretzky as part owner!

With the addition of Jesus and Ribau on defense, I'm guessing that Enright will be dealt once the trade window opens. Cato, the only other 03 Dman, has been named captain and will be an obvious OA the following year and the young Dmen need ice time.

The IceDogs would be smart to deal Enright now and get back some picks.
Why would they deal Enright? They added veteran guys to try to make a run this year then are going to deal another veteran guy? That would seem counter intuitive

Ribau-Cato
Dionicio-Enright
Leonard-Jesus
Wysick

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Why would they deal Enright? They added veteran guys to try to make a run this year then are going to deal another veteran guy? That would seem counter intuitive

Ribau-Cato
Dionicio-Enright
Leonard-Jesus
Wysick
I’m not sure dealing Enright for picks right now is the right thing to do either. That is what Dickinson can be used for.
I am not convinced they are trying to make a run this season as much as being solidly in the middle at the trade deadline. From there, the Icedogs can decide which of Zito, Sirrizotti, Michaud, Cato, Enright, Rosenweig will be OAs and which can be used to better position the team the following season.

Reactions: three dog night

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
The IceDogs are "making a run for it" this year if you consider being more competitive and making the playoffs to be "making a run for it".
The added Dmen will help stabilize the back end and help the the younger D develop.
This is all laying the groundwork for creating the most competitive team possible in 2023/2024. I highly doubt Enright will be in the OA mix in that season.

So, if they keep Enright, he takes minutes from Leonard (04), Vannetten (04), Douglas-Najem (04) and Wysick (05) who will be important pieces in 23/24.

I know the IceDogs will get a boat load of picks if they deal Dickinson but I don't see anything wrong with dealing Enright and having more draft picks, especially when the team plans on hosting the Mem Cup next season.

The more that Dickinson looks at the direction the IceDogs are headed he may like what he sees.......not many LHD.

Dionicio (04) (L) - Cato (03) (R)
Dickinson (06) (L) - Ribau (OA) (R)
Leonard (04) (R) - Jesus (OA) (R)

Wysick (05) (R), Douglas-Najem (04) (L) , Vannetten (04) (R)

Enright (03) (R)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad