Niagara IceDogs 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
as an IceDogs fan, I agree Rosy's positioning is horrible and although he makes some athletic saves, he lets in a TON of softies.

Reactions: Square Corners

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Petes will always be Petes. They dont finish top 3 in East.
Ouch!
Easy now......the Petes have had some rough years and COVID certainly didn't do them any favours, but they do have a 1st and 2nd place finish in the East in the last 5 seasons. I expect they will finish in the top 3 this season.

Reactions: Zebra

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
I know they are a legacy but no one wants to play for a team called the Pete.

The logo sucks.

I think that’s why kids started not reporting.

No swag.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Ouch!
Easy now......the Petes have had some rough years and COVID certainly didn't do them any favours, but they do have a 1st and 2nd place finish in the East in the last 5 seasons. I expect they will finish in the top 3 this season.
They Finished 1st 5 yrs ago and 3rd during Covid shortened year.
Nothing else close to top 3 in last 10 years.

This year they do have all those 03s they signed, so they may finish top 3 but I would bet against it.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Ouch!

petes will need alot of their depth guys to step up and be what they are suppose to be, alfano/dezottle have been disapointments, melee is what he is imo. stillman needs ot be better and simpson is a big question as well.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
As a completely neutral fan who follows the trades in the league, does anyone here think that the IceDogs GM has anymore deals in play before the 2022-2023 season starts? 🤔

I've never seen that many dealt picks in recent years, since the transaction insanity of the Spitfires were trading picks a decade down the road to win. Did the trainers or scouting staff get traded with some of thise draft selections?

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
As a completely neutral fan who follows the trades in the league, does anyone here think that the IceDogs GM has anymore deals in play before the 2022-2023 season starts? 🤔

I've never seen that many dealt picks in recent years, since the transaction insanity of the Spitfires were trading picks a decade down the road to win. Did the trainers or scouting staff get traded with some of thise draft selections?
One. Dickinson for picks

Reactions: Bra Wavers

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Yes Dickinson for a boat load of picks.

Say what you want about the Niagara Trade Monster, but he seems to be doing something good, whether it pans out, is another question. But impressed so far.

He can trade Dickinson, have a competitive team this year and recouped most of his picks.

Reactions: three dog night

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Say what you want about the Niagara Trade Monster, but he seems to be doing something good, whether it pans out, is another question. But impressed so far.

He can trade Dickinson, have a competitive team this year and recouped most of his picks.
I suppose the return for Dickinson would be the same as the return for Cuylle a few years ago?

Reactions: dirty12

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Boatload of CONDITIONAL picks. The USHL/NCAA route can be just as viable for high end guys. No guarantee he’d show up to whoever gets his rights.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Dickinson wants to come to the OHL, but not Niagara from what I am seeing.

Teams will give 6-7 good picks for him, or high end prospect plus picks for him. Moldenhauer went for all conditional picks because he was already 1 plus years in USHL and he was always going the D1 route.

Dickinson Agent will have secret talks with new team to confirm if he will attend or not :cool:

Oct 3, 2019
Dickinson wants to come to the OHL, but not Niagara from what I am seeing.

Teams will give 6-7 good picks for him, or high end prospect plus picks for him. Moldenhauer went for all conditional picks because he was already 1 plus years in USHL and he was always going the D1 route.

Dickinson Agent will have secret talks with new team to confirm if he will attend or not :cool:
I really don’t get these kids. Have t played a game in the ohl and think they’re already stars. This kid could be a bust. Seen a lot kids like him.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I really don’t get these kids. Have t played a game in the ohl and think they’re already stars. This kid could be a bust. Seen a lot kids like him.
Have you seen a lot of Dickinson to make that statement?
I didn’t take the time to look back, but I don’t recall a lot of busts among D selected in the top 5; certainly nowhere near the amount of stars among that select group. Sefton @#4 would be one such bust, but he had elite arm length for a best in league straight right knock out punch at least :)
Either way, Niagara purposely sought out the most promising defect imo.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

There were a number of kids this year who were not going to report to a Burke coached team and/or a team with a lot of uncertainly about who would be in charge of the on-ice and off-ice products. Based on the trades Niagara has made so far this off season, I believe they knew this kid wasn't going to report well before the draft and will be trading him for a ton of picks to replace the ones they used to get established players.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
It has nothing to do with a player thinking they’re a “star”. They and they’re parents have put in so much time and effort just to get to the point of being drafted into the OHL. If they don’t trust a program to properly develop them at such a crucial point in their career, then by all rights they should be able to refuse to report to certain teams if they see fit.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
I sit on the fence. Kids and parents dont have to play for a team they dont want. But Teams and GMs dont have to trade them to their chosen team unless it makes sense for that team.

OHL and Commissioner want the best players to play in the OHL and avoid US and Tier 2 leagues and will put pressure on team to move kid.

Oct 3, 2019
Have you seen a lot of Dickinson to make that statement?
I didn’t take the time to look back, but I don’t recall a lot of busts among D selected in the top 5; certainly nowhere near the amount of stars among that select group. Sefton @#4 would be one such bust, but he had elite arm length for a best in league straight right knock out punch at least :)
Either way, Niagara purposely sought out the most promising defect imo.
No can’t say I have but I’ve seen a lot of players get drafted in the first round of the ohl who never even got drafted to the nhl. Parents and players need to be humble. The grass is not greener on the other side. I get they wanted to wait for the uncertainties of the team but the new owner has been busy.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Maybe Niagara drafted him purposely as they knew he wouldnt report and could fetch a ton of picks and get a supplemental 5th pick overall next year.

Alot of teams have done this in the recent past. Its Genius especially if he will not immediately be needed to help your team.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Maybe Niagara drafted him purposely as they knew he wouldnt report and could fetch a ton of picks and get a supplemental 5th pick overall next year.

Alot of teams have done this in the recent past. Its Genius especially if he will not immediately be needed to help your team.
It's very smart to do.
Peterborough was able to get Mason McTavish + a boat load of picks because Will Cuylle didn't report... That's a pretty good tradeoff.

Reactions: dirty12

ohlgoalienerd

Aug 5, 2022
as an IceDogs fan, I agree Rosy's positioning is horrible and although he makes some athletic saves, he lets in a TON of softies.
and then look what they drafted two kids playing in brantford ugghhh!! 1 paid to get drafted and then a kid in the soo who might be 3 years away from ohl

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
and then look what they drafted two kids playing in brantford ugghhh!! 1 paid to get drafted and then a kid in the soo who might be 3 years away from ohl
There were probably very few (wanting to play OHL) drafted after 30 that could rise above 4th line or 3rd pairing or 3rd string goalie for the Icedogs this year. He was a concensus late 1st-early 2nd, and He may not be a lock for regular 4th line TOI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad