Niagara IceDogs 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
Niagara will compete this year.

Next year they will have good 03s and 04s and with 2 first round picks can easily be competitive for a few years. Good management.
Sure they will compete. They traded away 16 draft picks all of which were picks in rounds 2 through 6. Smart teams who virtually have no chance of winning a championship like the IceDogs don't trade away 16 picks.

It's sad because in 2023-24, the IceDogs may have been able to make a run for the championship. Now they won't have any draft picks left to trade away for a championship run. I don't think that's good management. It's irresponsible management.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
It's very smart to do.
Peterborough was able to get Mason McTavish + a boat load of picks because Will Cuylle didn't report... That's a pretty good tradeoff.
But wasn't that when there was no restrictions on how far out you can trade draft picks. Now I believe you can only trade draft picks from the next 4 draft years. That was done to stop the boatload of draft pick trades.

I believe Peterborough got three 2nd round picks, three 3rd round picks and a 5th round pick. But the picks came from 6 different draft years. That can't happen now.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
But wasn't that when there was no restrictions on how far out you can trade draft picks. Now I believe you can only trade draft picks from the next 4 draft years. That was done to stop the boatload of draft pick trades.

I believe Peterborough got three 2nd round picks, three 3rd round picks and a 5th round pick. But the picks came from 6 different draft years. That can't happen now.
It was six picks over five years between 2019-2023, plus a conditional 2nd in 2024. The Petes used 1st and 2nd compensation picks and another 2nd from Windsor in year one

Last edited:

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Sure they will compete. They traded away 16 draft picks all of which were picks in rounds 2 through 6. Smart teams who virtually have no chance of winning a championship like the IceDogs don't trade away 16 picks.

It's sad because in 2023-24, the IceDogs may have been able to make a run for the championship. Now they won't have any draft picks left to trade away for a championship run. I don't think that's good management. It's irresponsible management.
Give your head a shake!
First of all they will receive a boatload of picks when they deal Dickinson.
When the Petes traded Cuylle to Windsor they received:
- three 2nd round picks
- three 3rd round picks
- one 5th round pick
+
5th overall pick and 42nd overall pick (end of 2nd round) in the next draft

That means that, if Dickinson is traded for a similar haul, the IceDogs will have lots of picks to deal.
Many teams in a "go for it" season will trade their rookie 1st round pick.
In this situation the Ice Dogs will have the 5th overall pick as well as their regular 1st round pick at their disposal to trade if they feel it's necessary.

The new owner/GM has definitely put his stamp on this team and I like what I see so far. Did he pay more in draft picks to acquire the players he traded for? Maybe, but he made his moves early and picked up solid players that he thinks very highly of. IMO, it will be a better balance of youth and veterans this season which should be great for the team this year and next.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Anyone know if Gaidamak, as a Russian, may have issues with army duty?
I never thought I'd be asking a question like that about an OHL player?

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
here is how i see it

LWCRWLDRDG
RoobroeckFimisDannRibauCatoRosenzweig
CookeZitoCastleDionicioJesusCostanzo
PapaisGaidamakSirizzottiLeonardWycisk
CopelandWaddickChmelevskiDouglas-NajemVannetten
BishopHaynes
He
Vermeulen

Reactions: three dog night

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
here is how i see it

LWCRWLDRDG
BishopHaynes
He
Vermeulen
What am I missing with Roobroek; I have him as the 12th forward behind He, ahead of Chemelvski.
I do see C.Douglas like offensive upside, just not yet.
A lot of talent on that roster
Edit: make Roobroek the 12-13 F for me now realizing Michaud was not listed.

Last edited:

Oct 3, 2019
here is how i see it

LWCRWLDRDG
BishopHaynes
He
Vermeulen
I’m hoping you don’t have zito as a second line centre?

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I wonder if they will look to flip some or all of those picks to bring in more contender ready talent or if they are just replenishing from what they've already done.
Seems like they are trying real hard to turn things around fast there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad