NHL want more offense...solutions ?

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
They only need to call penalties properly and offense will come, not as a result of more powerplays, but players realizing they can't mug a guy and call it "playing defense." Any other change is superficial until the NHL fixes the above. Refs are far too tentative now to call anything that isn't blatant. The whole notion of "letting them play" is ludicrous.

Yup.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
They only need to call penalties properly and offense will come, not as a result of more powerplays, but players realizing they can't mug a guy and call it "playing defense." Any other change is superficial until the NHL fixes the above. Refs are far too tentative now to call anything that isn't blatant. The whole notion of "letting them play" is ludicrous.

:clap:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
My solution, don't have awful ice. Does any team in the NHL have good ice anymore? It's terrible in any game I watch.

I remember when the Oilers had the best ice in the league it was great to watch, even that has gotten worse no?

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
These refs are letting obstruction penalties back into the game. So many things go uncalled that should be deemed interference, hooking, holding.....makes the game worse for suren

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
1. Long change in the first and third. I brought it up to an OHL assistant coach 2 or 3 years ago and all I got back was ''do you know how hard that would be" so I knew I was on to something

2. A head coach and one assistant with no headsets. The game is over coached and they already have the rest of the week to scheme offense out of the game. Besides we are always asking for ways so that players mess up and lead to scoring chances, why not the coaches too

3. I have pretty much given up on this one but its worth repeating. MAKE THE GOALIES SMALLER. Since it seems unlikely to happen in any meaningful way, I may be just relent and go for bigger nets. Although the angled goal posts would be something that may have merit.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
The NHL has never changed the goal net size.
Look at the men playing goal 30 years ago compared to the behemoths and physical freaks of nature we have now.
Increase the size of the net 10%

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Goalie-Tiny-Thompson.jpg

20140105_kkt_bb9_190.0.0.jpg

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
decrease the roster, lose a forward line. More mistakes will be made, less unskilled players will be around.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Looks like he's wearing one of these sumo fat suites. Or perhaps he has just a very very disproportionate head.

His NHL draft picture is found here.

I leafed through a handful before making the original post. That's all bloated gear, not a freakishly small head.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Call obstruction. It's literally THAT easy. Here's a prime example of what is killing the league:

Forward A is bring the puck down the ice. He crossed the red line and is being defended by Dman B. Forward A dumps the puck into the zone and looks to go around Dman B. Currently, Dman B sticks out his hands and holds up Forward A from going around him. It may be a small push or shove or it may be an actual hold (circa 2005-6). Forward A now loses all speed and momentum and the other team is able to retrieve the puck.

That micro obstruction right there is killing the game. If you make that play an interference call the way it used to be, not only will you get more speed but you will increase offensive zone time and possession. With that, pylon dmen who HAVE to obstruct in order to be serviceable dmen, will begin to go away.

There's just no room out there for skilled players. I would also be in favor of making the rinks Olympic/Euro sized.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
decrease the roster, lose a forward line. More mistakes will be made, less unskilled players will be around.

So you are ready to go to the NHLPA and declare 15% of the players are going to lose their jobs overnight? You are a brave man.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The NHL has never changed the goal net size.
Look at the men playing goal 30 years ago compared to the behemoths and physical freaks of nature we have now.
Increase the size of the net 10%

Chnaging the net size is creating a different sport.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I hate every suggestion other than calling penalties. Everything else fundamentally changes the game or increases randomness.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Chnaging the net size is creating a different sport.

So did calling hits to the head. So does every technological advance in equipment. So does having 5 guys lay in front of the net trying to block shots because they're wearing a suit of armour.

Frankly, so does time. No decade in NHL hockey is anything like the one that preceded it.

It's entertainment. Making the net three inches taller and three inches wider will be more entertaining.

It's a friggin game, it's not sacred. If the Roman Catholic church can stop delivering masses in Latin, the NHL can change the size of nets.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I am against bigger nets. Lest we forget one of the best goaltenders in recent years was Tim Thomas, and he was fun to watch. Kipprusoff was also 6'0 and one of my favorites. Quick is 6'1 and has backstopped two recent cups. Disadvantaging smaller players further is not a solution...I realize bigger goaltenders have an inherent edge but they're not the ones preventing scoring chances, they're just limiting "easy goals" from the perimeter. Forcing every team to get bigger goaltenders solves nothing, other than diluting the talent pool further.

Real solutions:

1) call interference. Period.

2) do away with icing calls on obvious pass attempts. Just because a stretch pass was missed by an inch doesn't make it an icing.

3) limit the number of defenders allowed to be back in their d-zone before a zone entry. Two D + a goaltender, sure. A whole team allowed to sit back and prevent entry? Absurd, and teams like the Blues abuse their size by having five skaters just line up at the blue line and force the other team to dump and chase. In a sense it's a reverse-offside issue - the defensive team cherrypicks for possession.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I really like the enforcing rules more and 1 of the PP solutions. Either A) PP is full 2 minutes, or B) no icing, or only after your out of your own blue line

That way players will be more reluctant to obstruct and get a PP called. Rewards skill. Instead of dump and chase, players will want to carry it in and challenge D, knowing they will have a better chance of being succesful, or draw a PP

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
These refs are letting obstruction penalties back into the game. So many things go uncalled that should be deemed interference, hooking, holding.....makes the game worse for suren

So you want more stoppages and power plays? Never been a fan of the PP, I want to see more 5 on 5 offense rather than stoppages and power plays.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
That'll come when the players get adjusted to it.

If the league sticks to it.

For a change.

Maybe. I just hate the sound of more penalties being called, the league has already gone pretty soft imo. Just look at the current state of the league, sure obstruction and other minor interferences are not called but refs have been giving too many penalties for big hits even if they are clean. If the league starts penalizing everything we will have a similar situation to the one the NFL is now. Defense in the NFL is a thing of the past because of penalty calls for anything, QB's get a free pass to throw the ball as they cannot be hit and the the CB's cannot cover the receiver's or else they get a pass interference. I fear the NHL would go the same route as the NFL, which has become a snoozefest imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad