NHL want more offense...solutions ?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
They only need to call penalties properly and offense will come, not as a result of more powerplays, but players realizing they can't mug a guy and call it "playing defense." Any other change is superficial until the NHL fixes the above. Refs are far too tentative now to call anything that isn't blatant. The whole notion of "letting them play" is ludicrous.

crunchyblack*

Instead of getting rid of offsides altogether, make the blue lines thicker, expanding them toward center ice by three feet.

This would eliminate most "close" off-sides.

This would also make the offensive zone bigger and harder to defense.

It's a small change that would not fundamentally change anything about hockey but could make a huge difference in the amount of offense.

Hmm I like.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Having no offsides affects the credibility of the game.....you can't just change a game that's as old as time because scoring is down.

Firing coaches because they implement systems is stupid as well. You think an owner is frothing at the mouth to fire their coach who has won them 16 playoff games (all revenue) because they have a defensive system? not a chance!

1) Get rid of the stupid no touch zone behind the net. Goalies will make mistakes leading to more offense.

2) Do not call more penalties......if anything it slows down the flow of the game, causing less goals. A great PP in the league operates at say 20.0%? So 1-5 penalties results in a goal.......the other 4 penalties results in the penalized team icing the puck when they have a chance

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Open up the draft to 17 year olds for one year. When the WHA and the NHL merged, the draft that year was expanded. As a result, the Oilers got Mark Messier as a 2nd round pick.

The 17 year olds wouldn't be allowed to sign pro contracts or play in exhibition games.

AwaKe

Jul 22, 2006
-Smaller neutral-zone
-Full 2 minutes PP even if the PP team scores
-Keep the icing for the PK team

And of course have the referees call every penalties...

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
The easiest thing to do to get more scoring is to widen the rink. Take the first row of seats out and add more ice surface. That will increse scoring.

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
Without changing the rules. Call more penalties. This clutch-and-grab nonsense is slowing down the game and deterring scoring. If they called penalties like they did in 05/06, the game would be much more open. I'm not saying give teams more power plays, but it will deter the vast amount of ******** interference.

If they want a large reform... bigger nets. I'm just not sure the league, and many fans, would be fond of such a change.

With that said, I'm completely fine with goal scoring in the league.

I agree. This is the best sport by far. Don't tinker too much that you ruin the sport. Bettman has already done that. Don't need to hurt it any more.

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
I posted two things I think might help. But really I don't want anything change except more calls for obstruction. I came up a fan during the original 6 and this is by far the greatest sport. I enjoy watching pee weeks play hockey. I enjoy watching my kids play on Xbox. It's hockey, the best sport in the world. Let's not change it to the point that it's no longer the game we grew up on.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
I see this as a multi-step process that is going to take years to implement.

1) Get over it
2) Let the game naturally evolve
3) Leave the game alone
4) Stop messing with the rules, because they just backfire
5) Learn to appreciate hockey as hockey, and not bandy or basketball or something else that it isn't
6) Replace the NHL offices with competent, incorrupt officials
7) Tell those new people to leave the game alone

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

1) Get over it
3) Leave the game alone
5) Learn to appreciate hockey as hockey, and not bandy or basketball or something else that it isn't

Lol i love these kind of posts. Can you please point out where in history the sport naturally evolved? The entire history of the sport is full of both small rule changes and changes to the very core of the sport such as the removing of the rover position and addition of the forward pass. People need to get over this myth of change is new and bad.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
Lol i love these kind of posts. Can you please point out where in history the sport naturally evolved? The entire history of the sport is full of both small rule changes and changes to the very core of the sport such as the removing of the rover position and addition of the forward pass. People need to get over this myth of change is new and bad.

The development of the Neutral Zone Trap.

The change from "lane" hockey to cycling-style hockey in the 1980's.

The advent of the butterfly style goaltender.

Your witness.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
The development of the Neutral Zone Trap.

The change from "lane" hockey to cycling-style hockey in the 1980's.

The advent of the butterfly style goaltender.

Your witness.

So a goalie style that wouldn't be allowed if not for a fundamental rule change allowing goalies to drop to the ice, a style of hockey that wouldn't be allowed without the implementation of the forward pass and something that has ushered in boring hockey. I hope your witnesses weren't paid for that testimony.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
So a goalie style that wouldn't be allowed if not for a fundamental rule change allowing goalies to drop to the ice, a style of hockey that wouldn't be allowed without the implementation of the forward pass and something that has ushered in boring hockey. I hope your witnesses weren't paid for that testimony.

So there were rule changes over the course of over 100 years. Okay fine, you've got me.

But we've had MORE rule changes in the last 20 years than the game had seen in 50 years prior.

It's not simply traditionalism... it's the scientific method. When you're performing a series of trials, to get the most accurate test results come with less variables.

The trials here are games, the results are winners, and the variables are rules.

If we change variables too much, we lose touch with how we measure the trials. How we measure the game.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
When the NHL was created, think how big the goalies were.

They never expected guys like Bishop taking up so much room. He doesn't have to make saves, just get in the way.

Widen the nets by 5 inches and higher by 3 inches.

And at the grassroots level...TEACH OFFENSE.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
1) wider rinks (not happening but still..)
2) no offsides (for the lulz)
3) draft more euros (talent hasn't diminished with more teams, the game has grown exponentially and guys overseas are crazy skilled. if more teams took chances on holmstroms, palats, datsyuks instead of good ol OHL 4th line pluggers the world would be a better place)
4) smaller goalie equipment (pads today are just ridiculous)
5) 3 point system (make teams chase wins in regulation)
6) enforce the rules (will lead to more penalties at first, but then players will just stop obstructing the players on offense)

Mrpuck

May 3, 2007
East Coast
Don't allow players to deliberately leave their feet to block shots.
That's a huge difference in today's game as players are much more protected pad wise. Tons of blocking.

If you do, 2min penalty. More shots on net should = more goals.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

1) Get over it
3) Leave the game alone

This is exactly the attitude that the leaders of MLB said back in the 1970s, and it's existed through to today.

Solid job they did, taking the national pastime down to second place behind the NFL, which has never been afraid to assess and re-assess the conditions of the game.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
Fix goalie equipment. It's too big as it is. Leg pads in particular.

Make leg pads not much bigger than regular shin guards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad