NHL want more offense...solutions ?

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
Without changing the rules. Call more penalties. This clutch-and-grab nonsense is slowing down the game and deterring scoring. If they called penalties like they did in 05/06, the game would be much more open. I'm not saying give teams more power plays, but it will deter the vast amount of ******** interference.

If they want a large reform... bigger nets. I'm just not sure the league, and many fans, would be fond of such a change.

With that said, I'm completely fine with goal scoring in the league.

emmjayb

Jan 4, 2004
More offense or more goals? They are very different. 95% of the responses are proposed fixes for more goals. I could not care less how many goals go in the net during the course of a game. It does not make a better game if 10% more weak backhanders from the point happen to go in because of bigger nets. I would like more high end offensive chances however. I'm not going to repeat the solution for more offense I support, I have mentioned it many times before and get called an idiot every time.

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
More offense or more goals? They are very different. 95% of the responses are proposed fixes for more goals. I could not care less how many goals go in the net during the course of a game. It does not make a better game if 10% more weak backhanders from the point happen to go in because of bigger nets. I would like more high end offensive chances however. I'm not going to repeat the solution for more offense I support, I have mentioned it many times before and get called an idiot every time.

I suppose calling more penalties for interference would increase offense. At the offset, there will be more power plays because players have yet to adjust to a heightened scrutiny on clutching/grabbing, but once players realize they can't do that, even strength play will have higher offense, as players will be able to travel with more speed and skill without the risk of being hook and grabbed.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Put the center ice red line back in (two line pass no longer allowed). All it's used for these days is to tip a puck in from center ice and allow the team to change. If teams had to skate the puck or make a pass before the red line in order to gain the red line and dump the puck, there would be more turnovers, tired players caught on ice for longer shifts and more goals.

Also instead of the 2nd period being the period of the long change, make it the first and third. Tired players pinned in their zone = more mistakes = more goals.

This is a suggestion the league might actually adopt. Good for you :handclap:

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Well with how the league loves the casual fans, and want to get rid of fighting and hitting and all that hockey related stuff, I present to you the NHL's Official Scoring Plan Delta.

Non Stop Shootouts.

*Goes and cries in the corner just thinking about it*

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
If the NHL really wants to increase offense, they need to be more strict on the pad sizes that the goalies are allowed to wear. Make everything much smaller and thinner on the goalies, and if you increase the net an inch on each side, viola!

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Be consistent on penalty calling. When on power play instead of passing all the time shoot the puck more.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Full 2 minutes penalties wouldn't increase scoring imo. Teams would just sit back more and wait for a PP.

To increase scoring while making the game exciting, you need to find ways to increase it 5 on 5.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Feasible
Call "picks" as the interference they truly are.
Call all penalties at all times.
Raise net height to six feet three inches. Goalies these days are incredibly tall, this will leave more net to shoot at.
Delay of game penalty for any sort of icing.

Crazy...over the rainbow he is crazy...

"Sticks on the ice" is forbidden as it leads to passes being intercepted. Sticks must be maintained off the ice except to receive/make a pass or to shoot the puck.

Pass/Shot clock. Three seconds to pass or shoot upon receiving the puck.

Goaltenders may no longer catch or freeze the puck. Any puck in contact with a goaltender must immediately be returned to play. This will ensure a free-flowing game with additional goals scored to error and chaotic play.

Players must skate at all times, whehter at even strength, powerplay or penalty kill. This will create fatigue, which leads to errors which leads to goals.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I suppose calling more penalties for interference would increase offense. At the offset, there will be more power plays because players have yet to adjust to a heightened scrutiny on clutching/grabbing, but once players realize they can't do that, even strength play will have higher offense, as players will be able to travel with more speed and skill without the risk of being hook and grabbed.

It would have exactly that effect, which is why the league needs to pull its head out of its arse and just start calling obstruction penalties again.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
-4 on 4, more ice, same cap, better players

-Goalie equipment smaller

-Nets 1 or 2 inches larger

-No offsides

-Having all players behind the blue line is a penalty

-Put a key in front of the goalie, similar to the NBA, so no more than 2 defensive players in that box

-Illegal defense penalties

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
JackMcCartan.jpg

1960's

c99a9b1c8ac99f95357f97292ab86dce.jpg

1970's-1980's

tonyesposito-1.jpg

1970-1980's

461593466-goaltender-mike-lee-of-the-arizona-coyotes-gettyimages.jpg

today

You tell me what the problem is

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Instead of getting rid of offsides altogether, make the blue lines thicker, expanding them toward center ice by three feet.

This would eliminate most "close" off-sides.

This would also make the offensive zone bigger and harder to defense.

It's a small change that would not fundamentally change anything about hockey but could make a huge difference in the amount of offense.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not sold on obstruction being the issue. I'd like to distinguish between obstruction when a team controls the puck and obstruction when the puck is loose. I believe there's been a reaction against calling interference as a measure to protect defenders.

I don't like players leaving their feet to block shots and passes. I know I'm in the distinct minority with respect to this, though.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Call obstruction again. Hooking, holding, sticks on the hands, pick plays, late hits/bumps.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Why not try having the long change for the 1st and 3rd period instead of just the second?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad