GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Their stats and the fans who watch them every game? It's like abundantly clear that both of those guys have already taken steps back at this point, so their trajectory is already problematic.
I guess it comes down to if the Pens want to handcuff their cap for a year or two with some of these guys? I figure that some of them might be worth a year or two and then maybe a buyout? IDK. Feel like the shelves are being cleaned out at the store and JR is still at PF Changs…

LOL, it might be good we do nothing..

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Carter has fallen off a cliff dude, he's mid-30s and makes over 5 million. It's not a smart contract to take on.

Yeah, I think he got his hamstring cut or tore it and that was it. I think he’d be a fine 3C and LA is terrible but he’s not cheap, will keep getting older and afaik doesn’t want to leave LA.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
With our 3 best Dmen being out long term I would think acquiring a top 4 Dman would be JR's priority.
Say good bye to yet another 1st round pick.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I'd love to see Chris Kreider be a penguin. Fits JR's playbook as he has another year, he's fast, LW, etc.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Carter has fallen off a cliff dude, he's mid-30s and makes over 5 million. It's not a smart contract to take on.

Bjugstad makes 4.1M and has 17 points (7G, 10A). He also plays a position of redundancy on this team.
Hornqvist makes 5.3M and has 27 points (15G, 12A). He plays a unique position/brings a unique element - but also plays on a stacked right side.

Carter makes 5.2M and has 25 points (10G, 15A). He plays on an offensively inept LA Kings team as 2C.

His price is right on par with what a top-end 3C will command going forward. Carter as a 3C is absolutely top end. Dude is fantastic at faceoffs, has a very big frame (6'3" I believe), and has been a leader on a playoff team.

Keith speaks for his self. High-end PMD with an elite shot. At 5.5M, he'd be the 2nd best defenseman on our team for the next 3 seasons (behind Dumo). He's on par with Letang for offensive production but plays slightly better defense imo.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Keith speaks for his self. High-end PMD with an elite shot. At 5.5M, he'd be the 2nd best defenseman on our team for the next 3 seasons (behind Dumo). He's on par with Letang for offensive production but plays slightly better defense imo.
are you saying Keith is still as good as Letang? And are you saying that Dumo is better than Letang?

Also, Keith elite shot?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pardon my ignorance, but who of the rumored targets is MJ again?
27Au.gif

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Their stats and the fans who watch them every game? It's like abundantly clear that both of those guys have already taken steps back at this point, so their trajectory is already problematic.

Their fans frequently DEFEND them here. There are two takes from every fan base on players - and the guys/gals I see speaking negatively of those players seem more frustrated than sensibly critical. It's like we get here when our guys are underperforming (i.e. Hornqvist)- if he were brought up in a trade spec on main board, we'd have people speaking to how elite he is at net front/grit/energy yet will also have people saying he's declined drastically. Both of those players are playing on teams with not a whole lot going for them. They could be going through the motions at this point. However, having watched both- I don't see the decline. In fact, for how the Pens would use them AND how their prices are looking better with a rising cap...we could potentially steal them for a good 4 year window.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Man, the Jets gave up a boatload for Hayes. I don't even understand why. I don't think they really need any C's and that's a lot to give up for him.

Reactions: Andy99

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
To be fair, it's Edmonton and Puljujarvi is 20.

You can dump Lucic for nothing if you add Puljujarvi and retain $2 million, IMO. So would you do Pearson for Puljujarvi, Lucic at $4 million and a 3rd? Lucic's contract is too long for me to say yes to that, but I totally get why other people would say yes.

It’s still f***ing terrible. 2 weeks into the trade people would be crying about how to move him. Lucic at 4M is still putrid and Puljujarvi doesn’t have that much value now. The Pens would be better off doing max retention for Johnson to move him and then trading something like a 3rd for Puljujarvi if they really want him. Cheaper and better for the team. Lucic also has an NMC.

Puljujarvi is interesting because like you said, it’s Edmonton. But he won’t be waiver eligible next season and hasn’t show much at the NHL level. Even Yakupov had a productive season. You’d be stuck trying to fix him in the NHL and we know Sullivan adored Sprong. At least the Pens would have a couple of Finns to help him, so there’s that? I’d take a chance on him for a low enough price but he’s not worth taking on Lucic.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad