GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If we got Edler wonder if Nashville considers Kessel+Schultz for Ellis+ something in offseason. Schultz while not as good as Ellis fills in for Ellis. Then we roll with an Edler-Ellis 2nd pairing and forget that you are supposed to ice a 3rd pair.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Even if we got Edler, it would be in addition to JJ.

JJ is going nowhere.

That’s besides the point. I’m saying if this small hypothetical roster move happened I’d bet on them. Not that it will.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Edler would only pick his destinations based on what teams are right now in a playoff spot that could re-sign him, then he's limited to Winnipeg and Montreal. That's literally it. Even if you pretend that Edler is stupid enough to not call the Penguins a contender, there are about 2 teams right now that would actually make sense for Edler.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
McQuaid was arguably the second or third best defenseman for the B’s in the playoffs last season. You can criticize his offensive abilities (which is not terrible by any stretch), but his gap control and ability to clear the crease would be a welcoming addition.

If people want to piss and pout about a trade that hasn’t even occurred and remains to be seen, that is their decision. There are not a lot of options on defence in the market, and it is never a bad idea to solidify your depth on the backend under circumstances we just saw yesterday.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McQuaid was arguably the second or third best defenseman for the B’s in the playoffs last season. You can criticize his offensive abilities (which is not terrible by any stretch), but his gap control and ability to clear the crease would be a welcoming addition.

If people want to piss and pout about a trade that hasn’t even occurred and remains to be seen, that is their decision. There are not a lot of options on defence in the market, and it is never a bad idea to solidify your depth on the backend under circumstances we just saw yesterday.

Adam McQuaid is a tire fire that would have the same problems as the rest of the defense has. It's a terrible idea.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Edler?

I think you’re really selling short is loyalty. Much like the Sedins, I think he’s a Vancouver lifer unless they won’t pay him.

Which would honestly be bizarre.

Amen. I remember us having this discussion 2 months ago about adding a partner for Schultz. We both circled Muzzin because we assumed Edler would never be an option . . . and I don't think anything has changed in that regard.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Who the hell cares about clearing the crease. Let’s get the puck away from the crease.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If Edler would only pick his destinations based on what teams are right now in a playoff spot that could re-sign him, then he's limited to Winnipeg and Montreal. That's literally it. Even if you pretend that Edler is stupid enough to not call the Penguins a contender, there are about 2 teams right now that would actually make sense for Edler.

I imagine players have more respect for the Pens roster than we do. They know what we've done the past few years. I have zero doubts that IF Edler were willing to move to another team that he'd be ok coming to us.

Bigger question for me is if he'd go anywhere at all.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
If we got Edler wonder if Nashville considers Kessel+Schultz for Ellis+ something in offseason. Schultz while not as good as Ellis fills in for Ellis. Then we roll with an Edler-Ellis 2nd pairing and forget that you are supposed to ice a 3rd pair.

I'd do this but Nashville has to send back a RW like Craig Smith.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Maybe Martinez for a 1st? Although hes also above 30. Would be great if we could get a top-4 guy under 30 with term.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Edler?

I think you’re really selling short is loyalty. Much like the Sedins, I think he’s a Vancouver lifer unless they won’t pay him.

Which would honestly be bizarre.

From reading twitter, it seems like the sticking point between Edler and the Canucks is a NTC/NMC. The Canucks don't want to potentially be in trouble with the next expansion draft if they have to protect Edler. I think that's a valid concern, but on the same point, I understand Edler not wanting to move anywhere without a NMC.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Is Kingerski actually reliable at all? Or is just a case of him seeing the Pens are down a few defensemen and then seeing McQuaid is available and making something up?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I imagine players have more respect for the Pens roster than we do. They know what we've done the past few years. I have zero doubts that IF Edler were willing to move to another team that he'd be ok coming to us.

Bigger question for me is if he'd go anywhere at all.

So you think Edler is going to waive to go to a team that might not make the playoffs?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So you think Edler is going to waive to go to a team that might not make the playoffs?

You keep repeating this as if any team outside of Tampa Bay is guaranteed to make the playoffs. And you keep repeating this as if Edler is so stupid to forget that the Penguins have won 2 of the last 3 cups and are legit contenders just by being in the playoffs.

Reactions: Doogle

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Is Kingerski actually reliable at all? Or is just a case of him seeing the Pens are down a few defensemen and then seeing McQuaid is available and making something up?

That's exactly what he does.

He sees Guerin is scouting NYR/Min so he makes up rumors about the Pens being interested in their players.

The Pens got injured def so he makes up rumors about available def that everybody knows about like Mcquaid.

He has zero connections.

Its him just trying to get clicks, he knows that trade info brings in clicks.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That's exactly what he does.

He sees Guerin is scouting NYR/Min so he makes up rumors about the Pens being interested in their players.

The Pens got injured def so he makes up rumors about available def that everybody knows about like Mcquaid.

He has zero connections.

Its him just trying to get clicks, he knows that trade info brings in clicks.

Agreed.

That said, McQuaid certainly is right up JR's alley.

Reactions: cheesedanish87

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You keep repeating this as if any team outside of Tampa Bay is guaranteed to make the playoffs. And you keep repeating this as if Edler is so stupid to forget that the Penguins have won 2 of the last 3 cups and are legit contenders just by being in the playoffs.
No one cares who won the cup 2 years ago.

Reactions: KIRK

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's not actually worth getting seriously worried about. Because yeah... that stuff is all just clickbait.

Besides, we all have our gripes but there is just no WAY this FO is that stupid and tonedeaf to roster needs. Naturally. We get on them but these guys are absolutely professionals at the top of their game. Cream of the crop. There for a reason.

Isn't that right, guys?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Their are lots of teams that are pretty much guaranteed to make the playoffs besides TB.

The top 5 or 6 teams in the west are pretty much locked up.

TB Toronto Boston NYI are making it in the East.

A player that is comfortable on his current team isn't going to waive to go to a team that might not even make the playoffs.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Before the game was over, Pittsburgh Hockey Now was told by a source close to the Penguins front office the Penguins were pursuing right-side defensemen. The severity of Letang’s injuryis not yet known, but there was a concern in the Penguins organization.
One name which has re-emerged is Brandon Montour of the Anaheim Ducks. Pittsburgh Hockey Now has heard for months the Penguins were interested in Montour but weren’t able to get a deal done. Today, the Penguins urgency may be heightened enough to make an aggressive push for Montour.
Montour, 24, is a fast-skating playmaker with a booming shot. In 62 games this season, the third-year defenseman has 25 points (5g, 20a) which fit with his 32 points (9g, 23a) last season. Not only would Montour be a perfect fit for the Penguins quiet youth movement–most moves this season has involved a player 26-years-old or younger–he is signed through next season at a reasonable $3.387 million.

Penguins Target Right Handed D-Man, Brandon Montour?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm surprised how quiet today has been to be honest. It's 23 hours before the trade deadline and we've only had 8 NHLer trades in the last 12 days (Talbot, Gagner/Spooner, Coyle, Hagelin, Duchene, Lovejoy, Dzingel and Zuccarello). By this time last year, you had like 14 or 15 NHLer trades in the same window.

Good luck getting him, because you'd be instantly out-bid if the Ducks were actually going to trade Montour. I always get a chuckle whenever I see the Penguins connected to guys that they don't have the assets for. Oh, the Penguins are targeting Montour? Oh wait, the Leafs just offered Kapanen for him, so now you're out of the running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->