GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaucyCelly

Feb 21, 2019
Yeah it's easy to be critical now but I was pretty happy about the trade at the time. He was quite the Penguin-killer prior to coming over, if absolutely nothing else. Which... I guess to be fair he continued to be.

Goes to show that you can't just throw money at names and expect results. You gotta like... think and stuff.
Is this new? Or have I been doing it wrong for years?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Have you all not figured out how the NHL works now? You CAN NOT think "yeah sure he might fall off in 2 years" about a 33 year old anymore. That was the logic with Lucic, Backes, Kesler, Ladd, etc. This is a league where older players who can't keep up are declining hard and early. Carter is literally an example already.

When you have an older core, you acquire younger players to keep the core going. In 3 years do we want to look like the Sharks? Or do we want to look like the Red Wings and Kings?
Sharks look pretty good to me :dunno:

Edit: Not that I'm advocating for Jeff Carter.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
You forgot half of the game there though, and Letang is far far better at the offensive half than Dumo. I love Dumo btw, but Letang's clearly the better player.

And Keith has a career high of 14 goals, a decade ago. He has 3 this year, and had 2 last year. Double digit goals 3 times in 14 years. He's a good offensive d-man, but he is sure as hell not an elite shooter.

Agree to disagree with Keith. I think he's got a great shot. How it's utilized and/or how often it connects - there's no denying. However, with an offense that's capable of flowing - in a division that plays faster hockey than the Central, I think he could really flourish (especially on 2nd pairing minutes).

Letang is valued more for the minutes he contributes - however Dumo makes FAR fewer mental lapses and absolutely is the better defender. Offensively, yes Letang is fantastic. He skates and shoots like a forward. He also costs us penalties in untimely situations, has mental lapses with horrible passes throughout the season/playoffs, and has had some pretty infamous defensive lapses. I'm not arguing who's worth more or who's the overall better hockey player -but Dumo is the best defenseman on our team (by defensive standards).

And yeah, how could anyone NOT love Dumo. He might be the only other player on the team other than Sid and Guentzel who's played above his cap hit.

Reactions: Trade

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sharks look pretty good to me :dunno:

Edit: Not that I'm advocating for Jeff Carter.

The point was that we want to be like the Sharks in the future, and adding Carter would be the kind of move that a Kings or Wings team would do.

Please trade Miller to Ottawa in the Stone deal and please JR offer up a Montour return for Miller.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Throw the season away we aren’t winning the cup.

Guentzel-Crosby-XXXX
XXXX-Malkin-XXXX
XXXX-McCann-Rust
XXXX-Blueger-XXXX

Dumo-Letang
XXXX-Schultz
XXXX-XXXX

Murray

You can trade everyone not in that list before next season and I’ll be fine with it. Time to change everything before we become miserable. Do it JR, don’t be stupid. We have a chance to become a young speedy team quickly if he makes the right moves. Focus on Speed, Speed, Speed.

Kessel, Bjustad, Horny, Maatta, Pearson, JJ. etc... All gone. I’m sure Horny is worth something good if you put his name out now.

BLOW IT UP! Who’s with me? :laugh:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
You forgot half of the game there though, and Letang is far far better at the offensive half than Dumo. I love Dumo btw, but Letang's clearly the better player.

And Keith has a career high of 14 goals, a decade ago. He has 3 this year, and had 2 last year. Double digit goals 3 times in 14 years. He's a good offensive d-man, but he is sure as hell not an elite shooter.

Yeah, at this point Keith would be behind Letang, Schultz and every other year Maatta as a goal scorer from the backend. Maybe Riikola as well. He was never an elite goal scorer and now he’s declining.

People should be afraid of how Keith will look a year from now, too.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Have you all not figured out how the NHL works now? You CAN NOT think "yeah sure he might fall off in 2 years" about a 33 year old anymore. That was the logic with Lucic, Backes, Kesler, Ladd, etc. This is a league where older players who can't keep up are declining hard and early. Carter is literally an example already.

When you have an older core, you acquire younger players to keep the core going. In 3 years do we want to look like the Sharks? Or do we want to look like the Red Wings and Kings?
I wanted Kane.

But "headcase"....

Instead we got Brassard.... :(

I really like how SJ looks right now. Would prefer them winning over anyone in the East right now.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
What the Keith/Carter people are advocating is LITERALLY what the Kings have done by acquiring guys like Kovalchuk.

We should absolutely not be getting guys who are the same age as Crosby/Malkin/Letang. We should be getting younger guys who will be able to step up when those guys start to decline, keeping us competitive.

The Sharks were supposed to be an utter calamity once Thornton and Marleau declined, but they made smart trades for guys like Burns and Kane and Karlsson - who are younger than those two - and now they're the second best contender in the league.

The Kings decided to lock in a group that were all the same age as their core, and now have a horrifying contract situation of mid-30s dusters with no way out.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

You act like that's avoidable though. I'm not saying "Yes absolutely let's get some older players" but the idea that we have more than a couple years left of even thinking about Cups is kind of ridiculous to me, and no one would be saying it about some other team they're not a fan of that's in the same exact situation.

Also, the idea that you need to get younger at this stage in the game is pretty obvious. The problem is doing so. We've traded picks to win Cups and we're somewhat paying for it now even though on the flip side we've had some nice young players pan out. Even still you need insane luck to inexplicably get an extra few years out of your stars when they start to get older.

It's just the way that it is. No one stays on top forever and I feel like some people here take it out on JR or whomever when they can't come to grips with the fact that players age.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
1st, Simon, Jarry
for
Pesce
Any thoughts, is this close?
And make Pesce lug JJ around since there’s a 0% chance he’d get scratched?

MoJo injury is actually unfortunate as hell. Hopefully it’s nothing serious.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
You act like that's avoidable though. I'm not saying "Yes absolutely let's get some older players" but the idea that we have more than a couple years left of even thinking about Cups is kind of ridiculous to me, and no one would be saying it about some other team they're not a fan of that's in the same exact situation.

Also, the idea that you need to get younger at this stage in the game is pretty obvious. The problem is doing so. We've traded picks to win Cups and we're somewhat paying for it now even though on the flip side we've had some nice young players pan out. Even still you need insane luck to inexplicably get an extra few years out of your stars when they start to get older.

It's just the way that it is. No one stays on top forever and I feel like some people here take it out on JR or whomever when they can't come to grips with the fact that players age.
You can either accelerate the process by spending those picks on guys who are going to be huge albatrosses in 1 or 2 years like Carter, and lock yourself into a window that gives you no freedom to retool, or you can get younger and give yourself a chance to keep your window open longer.

Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Can we please fire idiot Sullivan now?
Dec 11, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I sincerely hope that we don’t use the necessary assets/ make the necessary moves to get either McQuaid or Ferland for the following reasons:

1) not speedy enough
2) our idiotic coach will not utilize them properly anyhow
3) the collective meltdown from the regulars will make this board wholly insufferable

Having said that, I still think it’s insane not to try and do something to make a run for the playoffs. It’s crazy to just pull the plug on the season when you have Sid and Geno still in their primes. That window is only open for so long and you can’t ignore that. Of all the asset mismanagement that has occurred, that would be by far the most egregious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad