Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

Wow Eklund finally missed one!!!

:laugh: The replies....

I still struggle sometimes with the concept of Eklund. Years ago when I first saw his name on HF, he was kind of a funny in-joke. Now his name is part of the heritage of this forum (for better or worse) he has his own small media fiefdom and.....he is still treated with widespread disdain because his "insider access" is no better than random chance.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Their fans frequently DEFEND them here. There are two takes from every fan base on players - and the guys/gals I see speaking negatively of those players seem more frustrated than sensibly critical. It's like we get here when our guys are underperforming (i.e. Hornqvist)- if he were brought up in a trade spec on main board, we'd have people speaking to how elite he is at net front/grit/energy yet will also have people saying he's declined drastically. Both of those players are playing on teams with not a whole lot going for them. They could be going through the motions at this point. However, having watched both- I don't see the decline. In fact, for how the Pens would use them AND how their prices are looking better with a rising cap...we could potentially steal them for a good 4 year window.

Or they can continue their downward trajectory and completely sink the rest of the Crosby and Malkin era.

Seriously dude, the stats are what the stats are. Carter has been downright atrocious this year, with putting up terrible ES numbers (12 ES points in 55 games) and bad possession stats while playing 2C minutes with more offensive starts than defensive starts. He has been at Brassard level statistically at ES this year. Keith had a downright horrendous year last year (for his standards) and is worse now than he was in 2016-2017. There is a clear sign of decline coming from both of these guys, the idea of adding them sounds horrible.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Behind Hayes though the next one is Brassard's shell of a player

Oh yeah... I totally forgot that Big Lame is supposed to be in play this TDL. Haven't even heard his name pop up in any rumors.

His time here sure was worthwhile to all involved, eh?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Man, the Jets gave up a boatload for Hayes. I don't even understand why. I don't think they really need any C's and that's a lot to give up for him.

Lemieux isn’t very good and they don’t reallty need a first. Little also doesn’t work with Laine at all.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
are you saying Keith is still as good as Letang? And are you saying that Dumo is better than Letang?

Also, Keith elite shot?

Dumo is better at defense than Letang, yes. Unless we're talking about chasing guys down where Letang's foot speed stands out - in their own zone Dumo is the heart and soul of our defense.

Edit: He also makes about 100% less bone-headed plays which counts for something.

Keith has an elite shot, yes. He's not Burns - so maybe 'elite' might be improperly categorized - but he's got a damn good shot.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I don't think Carter is as crazy as some may think. Could we avoid giving a 1st for him? I think it's possible given that LA is terrible and doesn't really need him anymore. I would talk to LA at least. He is versatile and can still shoot. Plus:

On a related note, who honestly gives a crap about anything past the next two seasons? I mean really? I can buy that if JR waves a magic wand and makes every correct move in the book next summer, maybe we have a different team that's still in the thick of the Cup race. When Sid is 34 and Geno is 35 though? Frankly I'm not really worried about throwing an extra prospect to a potential trade partner, at least no one that's doesn't seem like they're close to ready. It just honestly does not matter.

I'm still of the mind that I really don't know if they should do anything at this point in light of recent injuries, but if they do decide they're going to wheel and deal.....

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Dumo is better at defense than Letang, yes. Unless we're talking about chasing guys down where Letang's foot speed stands out - in their own zone Dumo is the heart and soul of our defense.

Edit: He also makes about 100% less bone-headed plays which counts for something.

Keith has an elite shot, yes. He's not Burns - so maybe 'elite' might be improperly categorized - but he's got a damn good shot.
You forgot half of the game there though, and Letang is far far better at the offensive half than Dumo. I love Dumo btw, but Letang's clearly the better player.

And Keith has a career high of 14 goals, a decade ago. He has 3 this year, and had 2 last year. Double digit goals 3 times in 14 years. He's a good offensive d-man, but he is sure as hell not an elite shooter.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Or they can continue their downward trajectory and completely sink the rest of the Crosby and Malkin era.

Seriously dude, the stats are what the stats are. Carter has been downright atrocious this year, with putting up terrible ES numbers (12 ES points in 55 games) and bad possession stats while playing 2C minutes with more offensive starts than defensive starts. He has been at Brassard level statistically at ES this year. Keith had a downright horrendous year last year (for his standards) and is worse now than he was in 2016-2017. There is a clear sign of decline coming from both of these guys, the idea of adding them sounds horrible.

The whole point is utilizing him as the 3C AS a defensive Centerman (which he's better suited as to begin with). If he slides up to 2C if/when injury happens next season(s), he'll be just fine with a Kessel/Rust/Hornqvist as his wing. Apples to oranges here...there's no comparison of the LA Kings system vs Sully's Pens.

Keith did have a down year last year - as did the entire Blackhawks roster. Buy low man. As our Maatta upgrade, he would be exactly that. Better foot speed, better shot, better passing, probably edges him defensively, and responsible decision maker. He makes 1M more than Maatta - and we make that money up by 1. trading Maatta in the summer, and 2. shedding Johnson in the summer.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Just sucks that he was such not a fit here, on paper I loved the trade and then this year happened!

Yeah it's easy to be critical now but I was pretty happy about the trade at the time. He was quite the Penguin-killer prior to coming over, if absolutely nothing else. Which... I guess to be fair he continued to be.

Goes to show that you can't just throw money at names and expect results. You gotta like... think and stuff.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Have you all not figured out how the NHL works now? You CAN NOT think "yeah sure he might fall off in 2 years" about a 33 year old anymore. That was the logic with Lucic, Backes, Kesler, Ladd, etc. This is a league where older players who can't keep up are declining hard and early. Carter is literally an example already.

When you have an older core, you acquire younger players to keep the core going. In 3 years do we want to look like the Sharks, and contend by acquiring younger players? Or do we want to look like the Red Wings and Kings and "get guys who fit the core's age"?

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Every hour that goes by without news, I worry a bit more.

Don't worry about the TDL...usually nothing that happens today has any impact on Cup contention...you should worry about Letang if you want to worry about something

Reactions: JackFr

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC

Dumoulin isn’t better at D than Letang. Switch the roles and see who’s better. We don’t ask Dumoulin for his offensive skills. Letang can do Dumoulin’s job better than him if that was his role.

Reactions: JackFr

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Have you all not figured out how the NHL works now? You CAN NOT think "yeah sure he might fall off in 2 years" about a 33 year old anymore. That was the logic with Lucic, Backes, Kesler, Ladd, etc. This is a league where older players who can't keep up are declining hard and early. Carter is literally an example already.

When you have an older core, you acquire younger players to keep the core going. In 3 years do we want to look like the Sharks or the Red Wings and Kings?

Apparently yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad