GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Unless I'm remembering wrong, that team got absolutely caved in a majority of the playoffs, and only won because of excellent goaltending and opportunistic scoring. That team didn't play fast from what I remember, they were opportunistic and lucky.

You’re right as to how they played, but they still were a little faster than this current team...again, the problem in 2017 with playing faster was the same as now—dearth of PMD ...
It seems that the Pens are trying to get heavier to stop the kind of things that happened last night...and yet all they’re doing is just playing slower without the benefit of being any more physical...you can see why people really question JR...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If this team doesn't have huge needs to fill and this is all there is, then they're pretty much ****** for the rest of the Sid/Geno era.

No? JR can fix this team with like 3 trades involving only roster players. I don't know why you're so down on this team all of a sudden. Just bringing in a 2nd pair LD, a 3rd pair RD and getting a better fit than Kessel for the 2nd line puts this team in a great spot.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
After watching the last few, trading Phil might be the simplest way to enable Geno (who certainly seems to have his hop back and works pretty well with ZAR).

The easy way to enable Malkin with what they have in hand is Bjugstad playing the Talbot role for Geno. Geno still bleeds FO's. Well under 50%

Trying to keep the puck more might just be the ticket.

ZAR, Malkin, Bjugstad

Bjugstad takes defensive draws and some offensive draws. Allows Geno to break free from draws easier on the RW. Roaming Malkin is death to other teams.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Geno is finally back but now Sully is insistent on giving him a slumping Kessel. Our goal should be to maximize Geno and Sid now that both are playing great.

In the great tradition of attempting to repeat the same mistakes their predecessors did... Sullivan and JR seemingly have forgotten where their bread is buttered.

So... expect more dumbass line combinations and Malkin skating in front of defensemen who can't make a 5 foot uncontested pass.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The easy way to enable Malkin with what they have in hand is Bjugstad playing the Talbot role for Geno. Geno still bleeds FO's. Well under 50%

Trying to keep the puck more might just be the ticket.

ZAR, Malkin, Bjugstad

Bjugstad takes defensive draws and some offensive draws. Allows Geno to break free from draws easier on the RW. Roaming Malkin is death to other teams.

Yes, because the key right now for Geno is faceoffs, not a 2nd player who's going to help augment his possession game as ZAR has.

Seriously, Talbot didn't help Geno in 2009 because of faceoffs. That was nothing. He helped because he knew when to support and when to give space and because when Geno got into trouble, he'd put the puck into an open area where Talbot instinctively knew Geno was going to put it (so Talbot would fetch it and then get the puck back to Geno).

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Thought you would be interested in this one—some speculation from Canucks media that Alex Edler may waive his NTC for Pittsburgh if an extension was included:

The storyline in Vancouver so far has been that Edler would not waive his NTC for anyone at the deadline. That he would either re-sign with Vancouver or walk as a FA.

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
Thought you would be interested in this one—some speculation from Canucks media that Alex Edler may waive his NTC for Pittsburgh if an extension was included:

The storyline in Vancouver so far has been that Edler would not waive his NTC for anyone at the deadline. That he would either re-sign with Vancouver or walk as a FA.

Give the extension please.

Reactions: Doogle and KIRK

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

I'd gladly give him something like 5.5 per for 3 years.

Pray we Move out Johnson, but it'll be Maatta they trade.

Reactions: KIRK

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This old idea of putting a "good faceoff guy" on Malkin's wing (regardless of whether or not he can actually play respectable hockey there) goes back a ways and it's almost never actually accomplished anything. Honestly the people who put so much emphasis on FO ability are the same I suspect that insist teams need specialty players to make their PK any good.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

1. I don't know WHY Edler would waive to come here.

2. I'd give Edler an extension without a moments hesitation.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Edler is 32. His metrics are ok, but I'm not sure a 32 year old dman is what we need to be committing to at this point.

I'm sure he'd help though. But an extended Edler probably costs a first, and do we really want to give that up?

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This old idea of putting a "good faceoff guy" on Malkin's wing (regardless of whether or not he can actually play respectable hockey there) goes back a ways and it's almost never actually accomplished anything. Honestly the people who put so much emphasis on FO ability are the same I suspect that insist teams need specialty players to make their PK any good.

Exactly. Talbot helped a ton because he did the type of stuff ZAR is doing now or Hags did last year AND because his hands got hot, not because of faceoffs.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad