GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
As someone who has very little confidence in this team right now, I feel like some people are still too far down on this team. You're completely set down the middle for the next couple of years with Crosby, Malkin, Bjugstad/McCann and Cullen/Blueger. You have a top line LWer signed for 5 years in Guentzel. You have 2 2nd line RWers signed for 3+ years in Rust and Hornqvist, and you also have Kessel signed if you decide to keep him. You have 3 legit #3 defensemen or better, and I imagine they re-sign Schultz and keep that group for the near future. You have a solid starting goalie with a good backup. You're getting good contributions from young players at both forward and defense, too.

You have 3 roster problems on your team, a LWer for Malkin, a revamped 3rd pair (or a 2nd pair LD and 3rd pair RD, if you want Pettersson on the 3rd pair) and Jack Johnson. You have Kessel, Maatta, Pearson, Jarry and your prospect pool to address those problems. This team isn't in dire conditions, they just have to make tough moves that they may be hesitant to make.

You're right about the most glaring issues, but I think you need to address the team's speed and (frankly) staleness in the process, which of course is doable.

Will repeat though on Edler . . . if that's legit and it costs a 1st, you do it. You know I was all over the run the hell out of 2 pairs approach and pimping Muzzin-Schultz as that 2nd pairing. Only reason why was I assumed Edler wasn't available. He's not the player he was, but he takes the D to another level next year (or this if Dumo and Letang do return in good order).

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Hold your horses with that bull****.

Don't PRETEND like you know anything about that, because you clearly don't.

After the 2 cup runs, Sid and Geno definitely felt beat up. Hell, Geno was the team's de facto enforcer during 2 cup runs, despite what you may think otherwise.

BUT, the MANDATE to get tougher was the brain child of JR and ownership and Morehouse.
Woah, woah, woah there. I’m simply saying that I remember hearing somewhere that Sid and Geno liked the idea of some “toughness” on the team because of all the bullshit that they have to put up with. It was the reason they got Reaves and I’m sure I heard that both of them were on board with the idea.

Now, you may be right that the Pens’ PR may have spun this idea but I know that there were stories about them wanting tough guys on the team...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This was tweeted out before the Penguins lost Dumoulin and Letang, though. Suddenly, the Penguins may become a lot more interested in him.

I don't think the problem is whether the Canucks want to trade Edler or not, it's Edler getting an extension with whoever would want to trade for him. I think Edler holds the cards here more than the Canucks do.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
So was Edler going to sit in the press box with Dumo and Letang since he hasn't played since Feb 4? He's only played 70 or more games just twice in the past 6 years counting this one since he won't make it to 70 games. His age and injury history is exactly what the Pens don't need.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
As someone who has very little confidence in this team right now, I feel like some people are still too far down on this team. You're completely set down the middle for the next couple of years with Crosby, Malkin, Bjugstad/McCann and Cullen/Blueger. You have a top line LWer signed for 5 years in Guentzel. You have 2 2nd line RWers signed for 3+ years in Rust and Hornqvist, and you also have Kessel signed if you decide to keep him. You have 3 legit #3 defensemen or better, and I imagine they re-sign Schultz and keep that group for the near future. You have a solid starting goalie with a good backup. You're getting good contributions from young players at both forward and defense, too.

You have 3 roster problems on your team, a LWer for Malkin, a revamped 3rd pair (or a 2nd pair LD and 3rd pair RD, if you want Pettersson on the 3rd pair) and Jack Johnson. You have Kessel, Maatta, Pearson, Jarry and your prospect pool to address those problems. This team isn't in dire conditions, they just have to make tough moves that they may be hesitant to make.
Yeah this place has become pretty toxic. Is the team perfect? Far from it. Should we be running around like chicken little screaming that the sky is falling? No. Some of the takes I've seen recently are just so bad

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So was Edler going to sit in the press box with Dumo and Letang since he hasn't played since Feb 4? He's only played 70 or more games just twice in the past 6 years counting this one since he won't make it to 70 games. His age and injury history is exactly what the Pens don't need.

Injuries like this don't make a player injury prone:

This is why he has been out for 3 weeks.

Reactions: KIRK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Was about to post that.

Like for real, the Penguins may have had a mediocre year, but that's just a laughable post. It's a team that has Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel and Kessel on it. They're a contender any year that they make the playoffs, and they're extremely likely to make the playoffs every year.

You do realize you’re on a forum where people think Letang’s stroke and neck injury were his fault for putting himself “in a position to get hurt”.

You don't even have to point those out, there are multiple people calling Letang a "dumbass" for getting hurt when defending Dumoulin after a dirty hit.

Reactions: 66-30-33
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->