GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It seems like a lot of talk is about adding a top 6 scorer or some defense - despite JR's stated satisfaction with the latter - but is anybody satisfied with our 3rd line situation?

Mod Note:
I know folks are frustrated with the team, and certain players in particular, but let's try to keep this thread about the upcoming deadline as much as possible. While GMJR, HCMS and JMFJ are all relevant to this thread, not everyone wants to wade through pages of folks complaining about them. For those of you who wish to do so, or talk them up if you'd prefer, please take it to a more appropriate thread.

The Jack Johnson sucks thread is here.
The all-encompassing HCMS thread is here.
The all-encompassing GMJR thread is here.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Chances are they'd take back salary as part of any Stone deal. They'd probably prefer it to be expiring salary, though, so they don't have to deal with it beyond this year.

I don't think any of our expendable assets fit that criteria. The guys we'd likely want to move (Johnson for sure, maybe Pearson) all have term.

Or someone with a big caphit but low salary, I bet Melynk would pay picks for someone like that.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If you acquire a top-6 scorer, you help your 3rd line by pushing players down.

It helps depth, but I'm not sure how the mix improves.

We're still using one of McCann or Bjugstad at 3C. I remain unconvinced. I like McCann's speed and tenacity but he doesn't seem to have the offense to be a good 3C at this point. Bjugstad's been getting very favourable deployment but he's having a lot of trouble in terms of possession.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think either's capable of thriving in that role this season.

Reactions: KIRK

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Wishful thinking on my part, but maybe DET moved Jensen to make way for Jack MF Johnson. Based on Mackey's chat yesterday, they had interest in signing him in the offseason at a higher cap hit (and fewer years).

Nope, never mind. They have no cap space.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Wishful thinking on my part, but maybe DET moved Jensen to make way for Jack MF Johnson. Based on Mackey's chat yesterday, they had interest in signing him in the offseason at a higher cap hit (and fewer years).

Nope, never mind. They have no cap space.

They have no cap space until they trade us Nyquist for JJ :sarcasm:

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I'm just kind of suprised I havent heard any substantial rumors or smoke regarding the Pens.

I know JR kind of lead on he was done unless something great (with term) came along.

But... I'm stuck on wanting to keep the first and wanting to go all in for any upgrade we can while we still have a window. I keep flip flopping.

Idk...

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I’d do Kessel and Johnson for Zucker and Pateryn and a pick/prospect if that deal is out there. Then flip the pick/prospect for a rental like Zuccarello with some retention to fit under the cap.

Other than moving those 2 or maybe Maatta and/or Pearson, I would probably ride out the season as is and keep our first.

Edit, would be OK with moving Bjugstad as well.

Reactions: Trade

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I’d do Kessel and Johnson for Zucker and Pateryn and a pick/prospect if that deal is out there. Then flip the pick/prospect for a rental like Zuccarello with some retention to fit under the cap.

Other than moving those 2 or maybe Maatta and/or Pearson, I would probably ride out the season as is and keep our first.

Edit, would be OK with moving Bjugstad as well.

Id really wanna get Spurgeon or Dumba for Kessel and then trade for a wing like Zuccarello or Dzingel.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'll lay out my suggestion again:

Penguins trade Pearson and a lottery protected 1st to the NYR for Zuccarello and Claesson
Come to a "handshake agreement" similar to what Anaheim did with Silfverberg, something around $5.5 million for 4 years or so
At the draft, trade Kessel to Nashville for Fiala and their 1st

You'll end up with a top-9 of:

Guentzel-Crosby-Zuccarello
Fiala-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist

Which, as long as it works with the cap, looks amazing to me. You get Kessel for an additional playoff run as well.

Reactions: TheGuiminator

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I'm just kind of suprised I havent heard any substantial rumors or smoke regarding the Pens.

I know JR kind of lead on he was done unless something great (with term) came along.

But... I'm stuck on wanting to keep the first and wanting to go all in for any upgrade we can while we still have a window. I keep flip flopping.

Idk...
I blame capy and kirk. just when you need them poof their gone. :)

Reactions: KIRK

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Id really wanna get Spurgeon or Dumba for Kessel and then trade for a wing like Zuccarello or Dzingel.
Something like that would be OK too I guess, but I would rather keep the 1st than spend on a rental. We are to close to a lottery pick to trade it imo.

It is really hard to gauge the emotional level and the commitment this year. They rise up to play relatively well against teams like the caps and bolts, then look like they are playing pre season most other times. I could see the team going on a run or going completely off the rails, or sputtering along .500 like the have most of the year.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

Penguins trade Pearson and a lottery protected 1st to the NYR for Zuccarello and Claesson
Come to a "handshake agreement" similar to what Anaheim did with Silfverberg, something around $5.5 million for 4 years or so

Fiala-Malkin-Rust

Which, as long as it works with the cap, looks amazing to me. You get Kessel for an additional playoff run as well.

I would try to add some pieces to Kessel to get Ellis as well

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union

Fiala-Malkin-Rust

Looks good, yeah. But that last sentence.. Kessel for an additional playoff run.. I mean he was the worst player on the ice against the Caps last year. Worse than Tanger, imo. I would trade Kessel for UFA Zuccarello at this point, if that was somehow possible (of course impossible). But it´s not like having Kessel for the playoffs is that great. Also, the last part of the season should get a verdict on Hornqvist. Having both, Kessel and Hornqvist is so annoying at this point. At least one of them NEEDS to go. Absolutely. If we start next season with both, I might be done with this organization.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

Fiala-Malkin-Rust

I doubt Nashville is going to have a 2019 1st at the draft. But something along those lines is probably in my wheel house too.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Something like that would be OK too I guess, but I would rather keep the 1st than spend on a rental. We are to close to a lottery pick to trade it imo.

It is really hard to gauge the emotional level and the commitment this year. They rise up to play relatively well against teams like the caps and bolts, then look like they are playing pre season most other times. I could see the team going on a run or going completely off the rails, or sputtering along .500 like the have most of the year.

Trade a conditional pick for Dzingel. Becomes a first if he signs. Your D improves, more balanced Top-6.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
These proposed forward lineups are fantastic--but how do we fix the blueline? Jack Johnson is an abomination, and this team could use a replacement for Olli Maatta that better fits the style of play that the league is trending toward (skating, aggressive).

We moved Scuderi--and for a helpful player to boot. We got rid of Hunwick--but it came at a price. If it was hard to move JJ early in the year after he just signed the ridiculous contract, I can't imagine a horrendous season does much to make it any easier for JR to move on from that mistake.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kessel+Maatta+Simon+3rd for Fiala+Ellis+1st

I don't think Nashville would want Maatta, they already have Ekholm and Josi (who's going to need a big raise) in the near future.

Realistically, I think you can get Tolvanen and a 1st for Kessel, maybe a salary dump with that. That's an interesting thought on whether you'd want to gamble on Tolvanen being the centerpiece, but that's beside the point. I don't see them or any team trading a top-3 defenseman for Phil Kessel, I just don't see it. Teams who want to trade a top-4 D probably don't want to bring back Kessel for that guy.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I think JR isn’t going to make anymore moves this season. He probably feels like he’s done his job and added the necessary pieces and it’s up to the players and coaching staff to sort it out. He’ll revaluate during the off season.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It seems like a lot of talk is about adding a top 6 scorer or some defense - despite JR's stated satisfaction with the latter - but is anybody satisfied with our 3rd line situation?

A) how much of what JR is saying is to not put himself in a situation where he's said he's looking for an upgrade and then GMs try to bend him over to max out the return? Odds are whomever he picks up (if he gets anyone) is someone that he's been looking at and talking about for a while.
B) if JR does get someone, that's more depth getting pushed down to L3 (whomever plays there).

Edit. And on another note, weren't you with Ryder crying to get Bjugstad in Jun/Oct 2017, as well as most of the early part of that season?

I mean we've gone the defensive route (Sheahan) and few were happy despite some excellent results. We then went the high end offensive (Brassard) route and even fewer people were happy with the actual results. Now we've got not one, but two guys who project to be more of the middle of the road 3Cs, and again some are complaining. I mean Jesus f***ing Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad