GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Thought you would be interested in this one—some speculation from Canucks media that Alex Edler may waive his NTC for Pittsburgh if an extension was included:

The storyline in Vancouver so far has been that Edler would not waive his NTC for anyone at the deadline. That he would either re-sign with Vancouver or walk as a FA.

Ok deal. Does Jim Benning want Johnson for his intangibles? He’s Jim Benning so I know the answer.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Thought you would be interested in this one—some speculation from Canucks media that Alex Edler may waive his NTC for Pittsburgh if an extension was included:

The storyline in Vancouver so far has been that Edler would not waive his NTC for anyone at the deadline. That he would either re-sign with Vancouver or walk as a FA.

Yeah, I would like this.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
This old idea of putting a "good faceoff guy" on Malkin's wing (regardless of whether or not he can actually play respectable hockey there) goes back a ways and it's almost never actually accomplished anything. Honestly the people who put so much emphasis on FO ability are the same I suspect that insist teams need specialty players to make their PK any good.

I wanna see our big names on the PK more so it's more of a threat to score shorthanded.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Exactly. Talbot helped a ton because he did the type of stuff ZAR is doing now or Hags did last year AND because his hands got hot, not because of faceoffs.

Did Talbot get hot, or was it the case that literally anybody could have scored with 2009 Conn Smythe Geno?

If we had *that* Geno today he'd produce even with two versions of current Kessel on either wing. He was just that good at that point.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Exactly. Talbot helped a ton because he did the type of stuff ZAR is doing now or Hags did last year AND because his hands got hot, not because of faceoffs.

Plus he's got the ability to shush the team to victory that no one on our current roster has.

Reactions: KIRK

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

So what I’m getting from all these tweets is that we’re so desperate for D men we’re throwing **** against the wall and hoping it sticks...forget if it fits our system...every GM in the league knows this and will be taking advantage...and do NOT sign Edler to an extension...we don’t even have the money to do so

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Edler is 32. His metrics are ok, but I'm not sure a 32 year old dman is what we need to be committing to at this point.

I'm sure he'd help though. But an extended Edler probably costs a first, and do we really want to give that up?

No, for a LEGIT top 4 defenseman, so next year I could run Dumo-Letang and Edler-Schultz, I'd give up the 1st, provided other moves were planned now or at latest for the offseason to move Maatta and Phil to continue the retool (maybe others too).

Reactions: Pete Gas

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
As someone who has very little confidence in this team right now, I feel like some people are still too far down on this team. You're completely set down the middle for the next couple of years with Crosby, Malkin, Bjugstad/McCann and Cullen/Blueger. You have a top line LWer signed for 5 years in Guentzel. You have 2 2nd line RWers signed for 3+ years in Rust and Hornqvist, and you also have Kessel signed if you decide to keep him. You have 3 legit #3 defensemen or better, and I imagine they re-sign Schultz and keep that group for the near future. You have a solid starting goalie with a good backup. You're getting good contributions from young players at both forward and defense, too.

You have 3 roster problems on your team, a LWer for Malkin, a revamped 3rd pair (or a 2nd pair LD and 3rd pair RD, if you want Pettersson on the 3rd pair) and Jack Johnson. You have Kessel, Maatta, Pearson, Jarry and your prospect pool to address those problems. This team isn't in dire conditions, they just have to make tough moves that they may be hesitant to make.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I would **** myself if the Penguins could trade for Edler and re-sign him. I'd love it so much.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Edler is 32. His metrics are ok, but I'm not sure a 32 year old dman is what we need to be committing to at this point.

I'm sure he'd help though. But an extended Edler probably costs a first, and do we really want to give that up?

Uh... Easily. A 1st for an extended Edler is a super easy move to make.

It'll be a 1st+ simon and something else.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY

I would give up that first if he signs a good contract.

The Sid/Geno era is slowly winding down, and the best bet once its over is to be garbage for a couple years, and the sooner everyone comes to terms with that the better. We aren't a good enough drafting team to be finding gems in the mid to late first round. So I have no issue trading a mid to late 1st for a solid player like Edler that potentially helps extend the window, if even just a little bit.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Agree..I’m not extending him unless JJ comes off the books..if they can get Edler for JJ then fine...

Reactions: Pancakes

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

So he's not just throwing out the Penguins as an example, they have been linked to him before. Edler just doesn't want to waive his NTC to go to a team that won't extend him, but I would give him an extension with absolutely no hesitation.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
No, for a LEGIT top 4 defenseman, so next year I could run Dumo-Letang and Edler-Schultz, I'd give up the 1st, provided other moves were planned now or at latest for the offseason to move Maatta and Phil to continue the retool (maybe others too).

He's legit, I just worry about the age.

Uh... Easily. A 1st for an extended Edler is a super easy move to make.

It'll be a 1st+ simon and something else.

As I mentioned above, he's legit, I just worry a lot about the age. We're so old as it is.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad