GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think he would care what happened the past 3 years, the only thing that matters is what is going on this year.

The Sens made the ECF 2 years ago to.

If you're a player that is an idiot with the memory of a rabbit, then maybe. But in reality, everyone knows the Penguins reputation. If you really think someone would say "the Penguins aren't a contender" because they're tied for the 2nd WC spot and 1 point behind Columbus for being #3 in the division, I don't know what to tell you. The only people who think that are overreactive fans that you see on websites like this one.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't think he would care what happened the past 3 years, the only thing that matters is what is going on this year.

Edler?

I think you’re really selling short is loyalty. Much like the Sedins, I think he’s a Vancouver lifer unless they won’t pay him.

Which would honestly be bizarre.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
So was Edler going to sit in the press box with Dumo and Letang since he hasn't played since Feb 4? He's only played 70 or more games just twice in the past 6 years counting this one since he won't make it to 70 games. His age and injury history is exactly what the Pens don't need.

Hmm... so do you think a 1st will do it or will they need to throw in a prospect? :laugh:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

I highly doubt hes checking the standings daily. The Pens have won 3 cups during his career 2 of the last 3. Havent missing the playoffs in over a decade. Players and anyone with perspective know this team is a contender. Not a favorite perhaps, but certainly a contender.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Edler?

I think you’re really selling short is loyalty. Much like the Sedins, I think he’s a Vancouver lifer unless they won’t pay him.

I agree with that.

If he did leave i think it would have to be to a team that has a great shot at the Cup like TB.

Not to a team that may or may not make the playoffs.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I highly doubt hes checking the standings daily. The Pens have won 3 cups during his career 2 of the last 3. Havent missing the playoffs in over a decade. Players and anyone with perspective know this team is a contender. Not a favorite perhaps, but certainly a contender.

If hes comfortable in Vancouver why would you waive to go to a team that might not even make the playoffs?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If we got Edler wonder if Nashville considers Kessel+Schultz for Ellis+ something in offseason. Schultz while not as good as Ellis fills in for Ellis. Then we roll with an Edler-Ellis 2nd pairing and forget that you are supposed to ice a 3rd pair.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Edler would only pick his destinations based on what teams are right now in a playoff spot that could re-sign him, then he's limited to Winnipeg and Montreal. That's literally it. Even if you pretend that Edler is stupid enough to not call the Penguins a contender, there are about 2 teams right now that would actually make sense for Edler.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
McQuaid was arguably the second or third best defenseman for the B’s in the playoffs last season. You can criticize his offensive abilities (which is not terrible by any stretch), but his gap control and ability to clear the crease would be a welcoming addition.

If people want to piss and pout about a trade that hasn’t even occurred and remains to be seen, that is their decision. There are not a lot of options on defence in the market, and it is never a bad idea to solidify your depth on the backend under circumstances we just saw yesterday.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McQuaid was arguably the second or third best defenseman for the B’s in the playoffs last season. You can criticize his offensive abilities (which is not terrible by any stretch), but his gap control and ability to clear the crease would be a welcoming addition.

If people want to piss and pout about a trade that hasn’t even occurred and remains to be seen, that is their decision. There are not a lot of options on defence in the market, and it is never a bad idea to solidify your depth on the backend under circumstances we just saw yesterday.

Adam McQuaid is a tire fire that would have the same problems as the rest of the defense has. It's a terrible idea.

Reactions: BillPrep

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Edler?

Amen. I remember us having this discussion 2 months ago about adding a partner for Schultz. We both circled Muzzin because we assumed Edler would never be an option . . . and I don't think anything has changed in that regard.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Who the hell cares about clearing the crease. Let’s get the puck away from the crease.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If Edler would only pick his destinations based on what teams are right now in a playoff spot that could re-sign him, then he's limited to Winnipeg and Montreal. That's literally it. Even if you pretend that Edler is stupid enough to not call the Penguins a contender, there are about 2 teams right now that would actually make sense for Edler.

I imagine players have more respect for the Pens roster than we do. They know what we've done the past few years. I have zero doubts that IF Edler were willing to move to another team that he'd be ok coming to us.

Bigger question for me is if he'd go anywhere at all.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
If we got Edler wonder if Nashville considers Kessel+Schultz for Ellis+ something in offseason. Schultz while not as good as Ellis fills in for Ellis. Then we roll with an Edler-Ellis 2nd pairing and forget that you are supposed to ice a 3rd pair.

I'd do this but Nashville has to send back a RW like Craig Smith.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Maybe Martinez for a 1st? Although hes also above 30. Would be great if we could get a top-4 guy under 30 with term.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Edler?

From reading twitter, it seems like the sticking point between Edler and the Canucks is a NTC/NMC. The Canucks don't want to potentially be in trouble with the next expansion draft if they have to protect Edler. I think that's a valid concern, but on the same point, I understand Edler not wanting to move anywhere without a NMC.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Is Kingerski actually reliable at all? Or is just a case of him seeing the Pens are down a few defensemen and then seeing McQuaid is available and making something up?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I imagine players have more respect for the Pens roster than we do. They know what we've done the past few years. I have zero doubts that IF Edler were willing to move to another team that he'd be ok coming to us.

Bigger question for me is if he'd go anywhere at all.

So you think Edler is going to waive to go to a team that might not make the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad