NHL to Seattle Volume XVI - It's Official. Seattle to join the league for 21-22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Got some news from the weekend for you all....

Looks as if Oak View will be changing their lead contractor on the project as per both Dave Mahler and Geoff Baker.

And a little reading material re: Leiweke. H/T Daniels.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Last edited:

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
I rolled my eyeballs at the headline and somehow its all the city's fault too. What the biggest reach i seen even So what OVG changes contracts. That doesn't mean its in deep trouble and OVG is not gonna "suddenly' stop the project cause of it

City of Seattle isn't involved anymore with it. (other than approving the tunnel permit)

Jason is spouting like, well, Jason, so consider the source. Frankly, I'm not sure that this is too big an issue. The costs are going up, but anyone and everyone paying attention to this process knew full well that that was going to happen. This construction is a complicated project because of the roof and as such is probably not like a normal arena build. Add in the costs to meet environmental regs, etc., and you can see why this thing is ballooning in cost. The year delay allows for any contingencies to be addressed, too. I'd only start getting concerned if we have strange things pop up in the earth down there......

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Yes that headline is awful. An added year for construction to be completed puts project in deep trouble!!?? Agree with Tommy and Sno. Nothing to see here.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Yes that headline is awful. An added year for construction to be completed puts project in deep trouble!!?? Agree with Tommy and Sno. Nothing to see here.

You have to remember the audience Rantz deals with. He's one of KIRO's "conservative" hosts, so he's dealing with a crowd that is anti-tax and probably pro-Trump. Hate to interject the politics here but the way he is approaching it is to say all of this will end up being paid for by....you guessed it...John and Jane Q. Public. So that is probably why he writes it this way...it's cynical.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Jason is spouting like, well, Jason, so consider the source. Frankly, I'm not sure that this is too big an issue. The costs are going up, but anyone and everyone paying attention to this process knew full well that that was going to happen. This construction is a complicated project because of the roof and as such is probably not like a normal arena build. Add in the costs to meet environmental regs, etc., and you can see why this thing is ballooning in cost. The year delay allows for any contingencies to be addressed, too. I'd only start getting concerned if we have strange things pop up in the earth down there......

Part of it was OVG wants to cap the cost.

You have to remember the audience Rantz deals with. He's one of KIRO's "conservative" hosts, so he's dealing with a crowd that is anti-tax and probably pro-Trump. Hate to interject the politics here but the way he is approaching it is to say all of this will end up being paid for by....you guessed it...John and Jane Q. Public. So that is probably why he writes it this way...it's cynical.

He intentionally ignores that its a private funded project and that the city isn't even involved anymore. Whats worse are the folks that comment there are basically anti city/key arena. Apparently OVG lied about the traffic and lied about when it'll get done. I attempted to educate them and move on.

Everyone knows how massive project can end up having potential delays. Look at the tunnel for example.

Last edited:

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Part of it was OVG wants to cap the cost.

He intentionally ignores that its a private funded project and that the city isn't even involved anymore. Whats worse are the folks that comment there are basically anti city/key arena. Apparently OVG lied about the traffic and lied about when it'll get done. I attempted to educate them and move on.

Everyone knows how massive project can end up having potential delays. Look at the tunnel for example.

Exactly. But don't tell that to conservative "shock-jocks" such as Jason, who only peddle in an angle that suits them. He wants everyone to think that the city's going to end up holding the bag here.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I am assuming they are gonna have logos and name way before the team hits the ice. I am just asking if they have he name and logo tomorrow when they can start selling the merch.

Oh who knows when exactly. I suspect probably summer of 2019.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Looks like OVG is close to getting the permits to start the actual construction per Seattle's Permit and property record database. #3029061

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Seeing tweets from the Sin.Bin Seattle guy that "No Fish" (IOW nothing related to fish) will be the nickname. That tosses Sockeyes, and Kraken apparently.

Given that Vancouver (Killer Whale) and San Jose (Sharks) are "fish", that might be the reason for that stand.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Seeing tweets from the Sin.Bin Seattle guy that "No Fish" (IOW nothing related to fish) will be the nickname. That tosses Sockeyes, and Kraken apparently.

Given that Vancouver (Killer Whale) and San Jose (Sharks) are "fish", that might be the reason for that stand.

The Seattle Sinbin is just a fan thing and has nothing to do with NHL Seattle (group in itself).

Yes there are people that want nothing to do with fish cause of the whole "food chain nonsense" which i find the dumbest reason why not to pick the name.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

The change we discussed upthread here is now official as Mortenson has been appointed lead contractor on the construction by Oak View, replacing Skanska. H/T Daniels.

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
Hope this gains traction and it would be a way to soften the ouch from opening one year late.
If the arena is opening up in the fall of 2020, why not have the All Star game in the new building to “open” NHL hockey?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
:biglaugh:

Where the hell did you find this Tommy? Mahler should book her for a Tuesdays with Tod.....

John Barr (Nhltoseattle guy) retweeted it. She basically owns all 31 team jerseys 32 once Seattle starts playing + former thrashers team.

If she gets a quebec shirt or jersey from back when that team was playing, I look forward to seeing her take on why quebec doesn't have their team back yet.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
John Barr (Nhltoseattle guy) retweeted it. She basically owns all 31 team jerseys 32 once Seattle starts playing + former thrashers team.

If she gets a quebec shirt or jersey from back when that team was playing, I look forward to seeing her take on why quebec doesn't have their team back yet.

She was seriously funny! Very entertaining. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad