NHL to Seattle Volume XVI - It's Official. Seattle to join the league for 21-22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder what would've happened in an alternate reality where Seattle got a team in the early 90s given their arena issues over the last 10 years.

One day the Sonics will be back - as they should be - but it's not really NHL-Seattle's job to worry about that. They got the keys to the house first, so they get to set up and furnish the house before they get a roommate.
90’s Seattle expansion bid got undermined by the sonics owner who was a partner in the bid.

City had told them that if they got a team that they would have blown up the Arena and built a new one in its place.

Thus the Key arena would have been on par with Rogers arena in Vancouver and the Moda Center in Portland.

But what is frustrating when you read the history about it is the complete lack of foresight by both the city and NHL.

If the NHL wanted to be in the Pacific Northwest one day you heard in the presentation what the city plans were. So if the arena goes in as basketball only you will be shutout of Seattle for a very long time.

For the city, you don’t believe that you will be good enough to have an NHL team one day? Yes more up front cost, but if you build something that expansive do it right.

Both sides lost as that decision to go cheap cost Seattle the sonics. And the NHL missed out on Seattle for 20 plus years as they could have with a brand new arena have been part of the late 90’s expansion with Nashville.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Expansion will only make the NHL more entertaining
Expansion will only make the NHL more entertaining

Lambert thinks that watering down the talent by another 50 or so players should make for better hockey, and the top players more productive.

For a country as big as US no idea how having 32 teams is suddenly watering down the talent. Nevermind there is Canadian talent then European talent.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
So will they pay up for Quenneville and Yzerman until they explode with cash out of their ear and say yes?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That parking garage interests me since Glendale balked at spending ~$58 million for one at Westgate some two years ago.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
SCC would have balked to if they were the ones paying for it.

No doubt.... but Glendale originally had monies set aside to build one when Westgate began construction. That’s another story in itself.

But I’m more curious about the cost per parking space...etc.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
No doubt.... but Glendale originally had monies set aside to build one when Westgate began construction. That’s another story in itself.

I think it's fairly safe to assume the cost per parking space isn't nearly as large a concern here in Seattle as it is in Glendale. Especially when it's compared to the revenue per space in both places.

I'm sure if they could find a way to build a 30 floor parking garage in Seattle Center and get it to pass design review and NIMBY concerns, they'd do it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Given what people have said about traffic in the area I would expect it to be expensive. Have to make that money back.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think it's fairly safe to assume the cost per parking space isn't nearly as large a concern here in Seattle as it is in Glendale. Especially when it's compared to the revenue per space in both places.

I'm sure if they could find a way to build a 30 floor parking garage in Seattle Center and get it to pass design review and NIMBY concerns, they'd do it.

the original plan had an above ground parking garage, community objected to it and thus it ended up being an under ground parking garage instead. No idea if that 50m is that or a separate one.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I wonder if the NHL is considering holding the 2021 ASG at the new Key Arena as late January 2021 seems like a deadline they could attain and it would give the fans something to look forward to in the interim.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Given what people have said about traffic in the area I would expect it to be expensive. Have to make that money back.

I used to live a few blocks away from Key Arena when the Sonics were still there and parking was messed up on non game days. Now add Amazon taking over the space between downtown and Lake Union jacking up rental and housing prices through the roof. Traffic is going to be an astronomical nightmare. The parking between upper Queen Anne to the north, the Holland America corporate headquarters to the south and highway 99 to the east will be non existent on the street and the spaces that will be open will be in the 40-90 dollar range. Supply and demand in a nutshell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad