NHL to Seattle Volume XVI - It's Official. Seattle to join the league for 21-22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Let's wait and see once the arena is done and open if the tone changes with the NBA. But there is nothing more OVG and Bonderman can say about the NBA. So lets not ruin the exciting times for the NHL and the NHL fans just cause its not a NBA team.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder what would've happened in an alternate reality where Seattle got a team in the early 90s given their arena issues over the last 10 years.

One day the Sonics will be back - as they should be - but it's not really NHL-Seattle's job to worry about that. They got the keys to the house first, so they get to set up and furnish the house before they get a roommate.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I wonder what would've happened in an alternate reality where Seattle got a team in the early 90s given their arena issues over the last 10 years.

One day the Sonics will be back - as they should be - but it's not really NHL-Seattle's job to worry about that. They got the keys to the house first, so they get to set up and furnish the house before they get a roommate.

We would have had a much better arena with both team here today.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015

Then the team would have relocated in 2008 like the Supersonics did. Likely they would have gone to Winnipeg (Their arena had been open for a while before the Jets came to town). This means that the emergent relocation of Atlanta in 2011 would have been to somewhere else. God only knows.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Then the team would have relocated in 2008 like the Supersonics did. Likely they would have gone to Winnipeg (Their arena had been open for a while before the Jets came to town). This means that the emergent relocation of Atlanta in 2011 would have been to somewhere else. God only knows.

Btw the arena would not been what it is today if we gotten the NHL back in the 90's. It would been designed very very much different renovation wise.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The Starbucks ceo whould never have let another team in the arena he said that the Celtics greatest rivals are the bruins not the lakers https://deadspin.com/5907371/howard...n-the-shabby-death-of-the-seattle-supersonics

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
It probably should not bother me so much but why does Seattle twitter account have underscore at the end of their twitter account name?

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Has nothing to do with history of that building, it was to do that it was a city asset and the city does want to be dealing with a white elephant. Ultimately it came down to someone showing up with the money, investment group for the NHL and willing to work with the community and getting the city a team (2 teams eventually) to get the project done.

Hansen basically tried to basically get sodo arena rubber stamped while doing nothing to make sure it was a solid enough plan (including dealing with Key arena) and actually showing he can bring a team to Seattle. No $$$ billionaire whale (to replace balmer after he left), no NHL group (he refused to work with NHL interested groups), didn't even show up to work with SCC to address issues after the switch over to districts and never bothered to work with the community to address their concerns. He could have easily gotten it built if he wasn't stubborn about insisting that it won't be built unless a NBA team shows up which wasn't going to happen within the 5 years the street vacation limit. I'm not even sure if it was even legal for the city to give him the street vacation with a project that had so much uncertainty

The city had within their own right to say no especially to a project with a whole lot of uncertainty. People can blame the city all they want that it was there fault that they want to shove key arena down our throats, that they don't give a darn about the NBA etc. And yes there are still people like that today that are still pissed off at the city for saying no to Hansen. And yes there are still people who think NBA is dead forever in Seattle cause the city said no to Hansen.

Both the NBA and the NHL could have killed OVG's arena plan by saying no we are not interested to the city. That never happened. Both leagues do not give a rip about where the arena is located as long as its within the core population (which it is). All they care about is that the building happens and meets their requirements. The NBA will eventually return and it'll be in one and only one arena, Seattle Center arena.

The fact remains Hansen screwed up big time especially when his plan was the only one there and that is not the city's fault.

Just compared the differences between Hansen arena group and OVG in terms of the whole arena process. OVG got the political process done with not a single SEPA challenge within 18 months. Hansen's plan would have ended up in the courts with several SEPA challenges calling it illegal and should been tossed out etc.

With how infamous Seattle is about its political process and political red tape, it is amazing that OVG got it done as soon as it did. This is unheard off in Seattle for a project that large to go so smoothly and not a single objection. This is just shows how one group knows how to get arena projects through politics and get things done vs the other has no idea how to play the game of politics.

So I got a couple of questions:

1) If Hansen had gotten the Kings the Sodo arena would have happened what was the plan for Key at that point?

2) Why was the city so hell bent on saving Key? I mean the Boston Garden went down, Yankee Stadium went down, etc I've never been to Seattle, and while I am sure Key has sentimental value to people there, if they just imploded it and sold the land would that have been so terrible?

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Arena now costs 850m. Waiting list is now 17000. Up 5k just from yesterday.
Does this make this the most expensive arena outside of NY? I remember Leiweke saying the NHL team, OVG, and future NBA team would split the revenues 1/3 each. So is the ownership group chipping in $270ish million and a future NBA team chip in $270ish million if and when they show up?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
So I got a couple of questions:

1) If Hansen had gotten the Kings the Sodo arena would have happened what was the plan for Key at that point?

2) Why was the city so hell bent on saving Key? I mean the Boston Garden went down, Yankee Stadium went down, etc I've never been to Seattle, and while I am sure Key has sentimental value to people there, if they just imploded it and sold the land would that have been so terrible?

1) good question. I have no idea what he would have done at the time.

2) Its a city own asset that the tax payers were on the hook for operating costs. FOr the 2nd part of that question. The roof structure is a protected historic landmark. They can't touch it.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

2) Its a city own asset that the tax payers were on the hook for operating costs. FOr the 2nd part of that question. The roof structure is a protected historic landmark. They can't touch it.
If the kings moved Steve Ballmer would have been the majority owner not Hansen he cared about the city he probably would have funded a renovation for something at key

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If the kings moved Steve Ballmer would have been the majority owner not Hansen he cared about the city he probably would have funded a renovation for something at key

Btw Hansen already ruled out Key arena said it was too expensive to make it work and that was like back in 2011. What OVG was doing today wasn't even possible back then.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Seattle Center arena renovations begin a day after NHL approval

Seattle arena investors and the ownership group of the city’s future hockey team broke ground Wednesday on a new arena at Seattle Center.

Groundbreaking for the KeyArena renovations comes one day after the National Hockey League approved an expansion franchise for Seattle.

The renovations are now expected to cost $850 million. Oak View Group Chief Executive Officer Tim Leiweke said Wednesday that construction costs in Seattle are up thanks in part to good labor, and adding to the renovation design.

“We’re going to break ground on this, and when this is done it will be the best arena anywhere,” Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan said during the ceremony.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

But the landmark status was fairly recent though wasn't?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Does this make this the most expensive arena outside of NY? I remember Leiweke saying the NHL team, OVG, and future NBA team would split the revenues 1/3 each. So is the ownership group chipping in $270ish million and a future NBA team chip in $270ish million if and when they show up?

Little Ceasar's arena was more but not by much. The same group that owns the NHL will own the NBA.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Mixed results: A half-century of trial and error with NHL expansion franchises

(Paywall after 5 free articles a month)

Holy wow. This is quality stuff. Talks about the difficult history of NHL with expansions and as to why they changed the expansion draft rules for Vegas and Seattle.
The Knights set unrealistically high expectations for Seattle there is no doubt there will be a favorable expansion draft but will Seattle get a second round pick to select a former Stanley cup winning goalie probably not 2017 NHL Expansion Draft - Wikipedia

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I believe that the Chase Centre that the GS Warriors are building in SF is estimated at $1 Billion.

j1012

Dec 8, 2014

Until Ballmer builds a Clipper Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad