NHL to Seattle Volume XVI - It's Official. Seattle to join the league for 21-22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

And this has been my general concern about that particular nickname - that someone could view it as cultural appropriation. BTW, looking at these poles, I'd have to say that I would probably agree with the people unhappy about these things - these do not reflect the kind of totem poles you see around here or how it would likely look on a team logo.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
And this has been my general concern about that particular nickname - that someone could view it as cultural appropriation. BTW, looking at these poles, I'd have to say that I would probably agree with the people unhappy about these things - these do not reflect the kind of totem poles you see around here or how it would likely look on a team logo.

Yeah, those poles are terrible.

I'm a fan of the name 'Totem', and I think some of the jersey mockups using that name look fantastic, but I completely understand why there'd be issues with the name. I know the word has its roots in North American indigenous culture, but it's now also the English word used for many kinds of spiritual symbology.
With that in mind; could you call the team the Totems, and instead of using a totem pole for a symbol, create 'totems' for the team based on things significant to the Seattle area and use them as your uniform symbology? Come up with three team 'totems' and us a different one as the primary logo on the home, away and 3rd uniform.
Probably too much effort and requires too much explaining from the teams perspective but I think it would be an interesting and unique way to utilise an awesome team name without going down the appropriation path.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
People may not like it or not but we'll probably end up having a water related name. My guess either steel heads or sockeyes. And people are automatically against it cause of the food chain. Again i find that the dumbest reason to not pick a name. Just cause San Jose are the sharks and Vancouver is an Orca doesn't mean we should let other team names dicate what we should call our team name. People need to get over that.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Yeah, those poles are terrible.

I'm a fan of the name 'Totem', and I think some of the jersey mockups using that name look fantastic, but I completely understand why there'd be issues with the name. I know the word has its roots in North American indigenous culture, but it's now also the English word used for many kinds of spiritual symbology.
With that in mind; could you call the team the Totems, and instead of using a totem pole for a symbol, create 'totems' for the team based on things significant to the Seattle area and use them as your uniform symbology? Come up with three team 'totems' and us a different one as the primary logo on the home, away and 3rd uniform.
Probably too much effort and requires too much explaining from the teams perspective but I think it would be an interesting and unique way to utilise an awesome team name without going down the appropriation path.

Are the Seahawks under threat of rebranding?

Not to mention the Thunderbirds, come to think of it.

Put it this way... I'm unsure if the issue has come up in Puget Sound in the last 20 years. It didn't seem to be a thing back around 1989-1991. I don't remember any objections to the teams currently using forms of the symbology.

BTW... I'm kind of using Florida State and Seminoles as one precedent and North Dakota and the Sioux as kind of the opposite here.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Put it this way... I'm unsure if the issue has come up in Puget Sound in the last 20 years. It didn't seem to be a thing back around 1989-1991. I don't remember any objections to the teams currently using forms of the symbology.

BTW... I'm kind of using Florida State and Seminoles as one precedent and North Dakota and the Sioux as kind of the opposite here.

The only two big team issues in the recent years is the Cleveland indians and their wahoo logo and the Washington redskins. The totem name doesn't come close to reaching the issues with those 2 teams.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

Seminoles are supposedly alright since a few seminole tribes gave their okay, don't think the same thing happened with the Sioux up in North Dakota. People have tried to make an issue of the Blackhawks a few times, but Black Hawk was a chief of the Sauk, so I think they're fine with a few of Black Hawk's descendants making appearances whenever the media picks up a story. Either way, I'm fairly certain we're close to the pendulum swinging back toward equilibrium on this issue in the coming years.

All that to say, they shouldn't pick Totems due to it kind of stinking as a name, but if you can also claim a win against cultural appropriation while not selecting the name you might as well do that too.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Seminoles are supposedly alright since a few seminole tribes gave their okay, don't think the same thing happened with the Sioux up in North Dakota. People have tried to make an issue of the Blackhawks a few times, but Black Hawk was a chief of the Sauk, so I think they're fine with a few of Black Hawk's descendants making appearances whenever the media picks up a story. Either way, I'm fairly certain we're close to the pendulum swinging back toward equilibrium on this issue in the coming years.

All that to say, they shouldn't pick Totems due to it kind of stinking as a name, but if you can also claim a win against cultural appropriation while not selecting the name you might as well do that too.

With respect to University of North Dakota, there are about 9 different tribes in North Dakota which are part of the historic "Sioux Nation." Of these, 2 raised objections to the University calling themselves the Fighting Sioux. Concurrently, NCAA policy prohibited use of Native names, unless approval was obtained from the Native Tribes in question.

In spite of efforts of University Athletic Dept, no arrangement was able to be reached between UND and the 2 tribes in question, and thus, to continue in good standing with the NCAA, UND has rebranded itself, the "Fighting Hawks."

It is under the exception above, (Agreement with the local tribes) that Florida State continues to use the Seminoles name. I'm not clear on those details, but the Seminole Nation appears to enjoy its relationship with FSU, and thus, the NCAA allows that nickname on the basis of this logic, "If the tribes like the use of the name, it is not insensitive, racist, or abusive."

Of course, these things exist in the realm of public opinion and public narrative, which affects NCAA policy, and are not in any way 'legal' in the sense of state or federal statutes.

Thus in the case of SeattleNHL using a nickname connected to the Native American Nations, there is no legal precedent. The matter would simply be a question of how the school of public opinion would react. And, it's my personal belief that it wouldn't be worth the risk, especially when the area is perhaps inclined to be sensitive about such things anyway.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011

so they should cater to whiney crybabies?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think I said the opposite.

The name stinks, so don't use the name while also taking credit from the "whiney crybabies."

That name totems was suppose to be the teams name under the original 74 attempt at expansion in Seattle. But that was 44 years ago.

Mike in MN

Mr Bandgeek
Nov 25, 2008
Gunflint Trail
With respect to University of North Dakota, there are about 9 different tribes in North Dakota which are part of the historic "Sioux Nation." Of these, 2 raised objections to the University calling themselves the Fighting Sioux. Concurrently, NCAA policy prohibited use of Native names, unless approval was obtained from the Native Tribes in question.

In spite of efforts of University Athletic Dept, no arrangement was able to be reached between UND and the 2 tribes in question, and thus, to continue in good standing with the NCAA, UND has rebranded itself, the "Fighting Hawks."

It is under the exception above, (Agreement with the local tribes) that Florida State continues to use the Seminoles name. I'm not clear on those details, but the Seminole Nation appears to enjoy its relationship with FSU, and thus, the NCAA allows that nickname on the basis of this logic, "If the tribes like the use of the name, it is not insensitive, racist, or abusive."

Of course, these things exist in the realm of public opinion and public narrative, which affects NCAA policy, and are not in any way 'legal' in the sense of state or federal statutes.

Thus in the case of SeattleNHL using a nickname connected to the Native American Nations, there is no legal precedent. The matter would simply be a question of how the school of public opinion would react. And, it's my personal belief that it wouldn't be worth the risk, especially when the area is perhaps inclined to be sensitive about such things anyway.

Even crazier, I believe those last tribes DID give their permission to keep using the name, but only after the NCAA's deadline - they had to wait until after tribal leadership elections. Hell, the logo was drawn by a tribal student. The difference in outcomes really came down to a Power Conference school vs a (at the time) Division 2 school

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Its 2018, I would hope we are better at branding and creativity that we dont need to appropriate the culture of the First Nations again. I really hope they dont go with totems.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Talking names here, not expansion team names, just names for teams that were created in the period around the time Seattle was trying to get the Totems. Teams then had pretty cruddy names like Scouts, Barons, and potentially Totems at that time.

Take Barons and replace it with Golden Seals if a common method of team acquisition helps the point.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

It's not a bad point... but how many good names are truly available?

Also, to pick up on a trend on this page of posts... I, like, really fear maple leaves.

(EDIT: Dear Cthulhu, it's going to be Sasquatch, isn't it.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad