League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I dont know, man. I think my HR department doesn't give a flying **** what I was saying about one of my friends in my off-hours. Do your job well, get paid and go home. That's about it.
Cool man now imagine how a billion dollar international company would expect a prominent public figure to behave on their off hours

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that if they're friends and he was okay with saying that and letting it come out publicly then he was sure that Tappen at the very least won't be mad at all when she hears it.
Since so much of your argument is centered around your assumption that KT is cool with the comments, will you change your mind now that it’s been revealed she isn’t okay with them?

I already know the answer

Reactions: Hivemind and searle

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
My job is fairly public facing where I interact with both government and private sector officials on a regular basis. I speak fairly regularly on podcasts, at conferences, on panels, and in the media. Now granted I don’t work in sports or entertainment but if I ever said anything remotely close to what JR said I’d be fired before I got home from the station. Period, dot, end of story.

Part of being in a role like JRs is being trusted to have sound judgment in knowing what you can say in specific settings since you are always a representative of your company and you’re a public representation of your company’s brand. He simply and totally missed the mark. It’s not complicated -- he’s being suspended as much for making the wrong decision about what he said as much as the content itself.

Last edited:

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Be that as it may that doesn’t make it right to decide you are offended for someone else and then acting as if the other person is actually offended.

This even if you aren’t offended I’m offended for you approach to things is not a good thing and I’m not sure why so many people seem to act like it is some F’d up sign of progress.

Put yourself in KT's position, and imagine you really were offended and NBC was waiting for you to weigh in before rendering their punishment. You've now got two options.

If you tell the truth, leading to JR being suspended, you run the risk that JR and his friends throughout the industry you work in will hold you responsible for the punishment, because if you'd just been cool with it NBC would've laid off. You're also making yourself a target for all the people who rant about "cancel culture," potentially alienating part of your audience.

If you pretend you weren't bothered, it's open season for JR and your other male colleagues to continue with that sort of behavior, and it'll be harder to be taken seriously if the behavior escalates to a point where you're willing to face the backlash.

It's a lose-lose situation. This is why it's important to have objective mechanisms in place to handle harassment rather than putting all the pressure on the victim, or as you put it, take an "even if you aren’t offended I’m offended for you approach." It gives the offended person cover from backlash. If there's truly mitigating circumstances they should be able to come forward and say it wasn't what it looked like, but the onus shouldn't be on the victim to act as the final arbiter.

Reactions: Calicaps and searle

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
:facepalm: guess you know more about women's experiences than the women here.

As for Howard Stern, those advertisers literally pay for that kind of content. Not so on a hockey podcast. Yes it matters, and Roenick should have known that.

EDIT: come to think of it, though. Even on Stern it might have violated NBC policy. Saying something like that about a coworker on any public forum might get him suspended because NBC doesn't tolerate that. The org I work for has a policy about employees' personal social media, for instance, and people get in trouble sometimes for posts that reflect poorly on the org or otherwise potentially harm the work.

I was part of the Howard Stern Show for a year. His programming was a known entity at the time and advertisers knew what they were buying. Even still Stern got himself in trouble several times to the point of getting canned. Who remembers Opie and Anthony? Geez, who remembers The Greaseman?

The advertisers that matter are not of the podcast. They are those at NBC and the NHL. Honda and Pepsi want nothing to do with that behavior

CNN.com - Howard Stern suspended for indecency - Feb. 26, 2004

'Greaseman' Reportedly Fired For Hill Remark

Reactions: Calicaps

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
It's painfully obvious who does and doesn't work in a corporate/government office right now. This kind of behavior would never be tolerated in a workplace if reported to a supervisor or HR department. Does off-color joking happen? Absolutely, but usually in limited scope with coworkers who you have that rapport with. If you do it broadly and publicly (such as on a friggin' podcast), you've removed any ability for your HR department to look the other way.
I think you would be surprised. I work in a government office and we are pretty rough with each other. The key as many have said here is keeping it internal. This JR did not do.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
I was part of the Howard Stern Show for a year. His programming was a known entity at the time and advertisers knew what they were buying. Even still Stern got himself in trouble several times to the point of getting canned. Who remembers Opie and Anthony? Geez, who remembers The Greaseman?

The advertisers that matter are not of the podcast. They are those at NBC and the NHL. Honda and Pepsi want nothing to do with that behavior

i remember the greaseman...what a legend from my youth. actually he was just a strange strange radio personalty. very strange

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Greaseman was hilarious and obscene; got himself fired twice IIRC.

Ooh baby I'm a redneck!

Reactions: Corby78 and g00n

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Since so much of your argument is centered around your assumption that KT is cool with the comments, will you change your mind now that it’s been revealed she isn’t okay with them?

I already know the answer

The response from her was tamer than I expected. “Continue to be good friends, but don’t condone”......at least one of them knows how to handle themselves in the media lol....

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
In Russia the odds youre sued because of harassment are next to none. But conscious ppl do not do it in public. Mostly. On workdays. I think.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The response from her was tamer than I expected. “Continue to be good friends, but don’t condone”......at least one of them knows how to handle themselves in the media lol....

I think the whole thing was negotiated/discussed internally. NBC had to do it to protect Tappen's reputation and JR had to accept that, as dumb as he was.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Put yourself in KT's position, and imagine you really were offended and NBC was waiting for you to weigh in before rendering their punishment. You've now got two options.

If you tell the truth, leading to JR being suspended, you run the risk that JR and his friends throughout the industry you work in will hold you responsible for the punishment, because if you'd just been cool with it NBC would've laid off. You're also making yourself a target for all the people who rant about "cancel culture," potentially alienating part of your audience.

If you pretend you weren't bothered, it's open season for JR and your other male colleagues to continue with that sort of behavior, and it'll be harder to be taken seriously if the behavior escalates to a point where you're willing to face the backlash.

It's a lose-lose situation. This is why it's important to have objective mechanisms in place to handle harassment rather than putting all the pressure on the victim, or as you put it, take an "even if you aren’t offended I’m offended for you approach." It gives the offended person cover from backlash. If there's truly mitigating circumstances they should be able to come forward and say it wasn't what it looked like, but the onus shouldn't be on the victim to act as the final arbiter.

I find it odd that you left out the by far most likely scenario of she couldn’t care less about the comment and would very much like this to just go away.

And yes she should be asked because context matters and trying to treat every situation in some worst case what if way almost always without consideration for context is not the path forward. It might be easier but that doesn’t make it right.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
This isn't about being offended (and how convenient for people to bring up the "you can't decide if someone else is offended" argument at this juncture compared to the infinite times posters will declare that it's wrong for people to be offended by X, Y, or Z).

This is about it being a completely inappropriate comment to make about a coworker.

Except she is also clearly a very good friend of both him and his wife. That changes things very much IMO.

You cited working for the government earlier as making it obvious you can’t say something like this at all. So I’ll cite government employment ethics policies that allow you to do things like bestow gifts on coworkers who are indeed outside friends as opposed to just work colleagues where it would not be allowed. So the context of the relationship matters IMO.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
I find it odd that you left out the by far most likely scenario of she couldn’t care less about the comment and would very much like this to just go away.

And yes she should be asked because context matters and trying to treat every situation in some worst case what if way almost always without consideration for context is not the path forward. It might be easier but that doesn’t make it right.

I'm trying to explain to you why taking a subjective, "context matters" approach puts those who actually feel victimized in a lose-lose situation where they feel pressured into silence out of a justified fear of backlash. What makes you so sure it's far more likely a person wouldn't care about a coworker publicly commenting about their body and stating their desire to sleep with them? Especially since we already know from KT's comments that she isn't ok with this. Is this based on personal experience or are you just assuming that?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The baseline is that if literally *anyone* is offended by your remarks (the individual, another co-worker, a vendor that works for your company, or a 3rd party visiting your company), then the company can be liable. It’s just that simple.
The law doesn't go quite that far. Usually a victim has to subjectively be offended, and the conduct has to be objectively offensive to a reasonable person.

Source: I do this for a living.

Sounds like JR crossed the line. Dummy.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Hobble. I want to hobble do gee. Hobble. Just you and me. Hobble. Maybe some gobble. I want to hobble do gobble do gee

...every time I head down to ...WEST VIRGINIA, BUDDAYYY

and they say GILK GILK GILK GILK
GILK GILK GILK

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad