League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I wonder if EJ Hradek struggle with being taken seriously because people see him as a sex symbol and not a serious reporter?

If you read JR's comments he himself mentions that she's conscious and trying to fight against being seen as a "pretty face" as opposed to a great and dedicated sports journalist.

Now, I do think this has been blown out of proportion, but making the jokes at the time and bragging about them on a podcast are two different things, I think people just need to clock that you can't flippantly talk about women like that.

And again, I do agree that if it was a woman making the same jokes about a man no one would bat an eye, but men don't have to deal with a lot of the negatives that come out of objectification.

Seems like everyone involved (meaning JR and anyone trying to put his head on a stick) needs to pull their head out their ass about 25% on this one
She is his friend for God's sake. I bet she would not get too into a philosophical reasoning about JR's intentions behind his words. She'd just laugh her ass off had he said it to her face. Yeah, pretty dumb setting himself up for feministic outrage all over the social media by saying it publicly but..god dammit, man, come on!

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Friends or not:
It still was about a work colleague
It was on a podcast which has hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of downloads
They both are prominent employees working for a family friendly corporation

It's the nature of the business he's in unfortunately. It's the corporation covering their ass and I don't blame them in today's climate.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
She is his friend for God's sake. I bet she would not get too into a philosophical reasoning about JR's intentions behind his words. She'd just laugh her ass off had he said it to her face. Yeah, pretty dumb setting himself up for feministic outrage all over the social media by saying it publicly but..god dammit, man, come on!

I’ll just speak for myself but neither my friends nor my wife would be particularly thrilled if I went on a podcast and talked about wanting to have a threesome with them.

You think it’s a foregone conclusion that she’d find it funny and laugh about and be totally cool with JR telling her to her face that he wants to f*** her? What an odd stance to take.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I’ll just speak for myself but neither my friends nor my wife would be particularly thrilled if I went on a podcast and talked about wanting to have a threesome with them.

You think it’s a foregone conclusion that she’d find it funny and laugh about and be totally cool with JR telling her to her face that he wants to **** her? What an odd stance to take.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that if they're friends and he was okay with saying that and letting it come out publicly then he was sure that Tappen at the very least won't be mad at all when she hears it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

You think it’s a foregone conclusion that she’d find it funny and laugh about and be totally cool with JR telling her to her face that he wants to **** her? What an odd stance to take.

Per the first article I linked above he was apparently playing it up in Portugal and both women were "screaming at him" about it. So it wasn't a secret he was revealing to either woman for the first time on the air.

I don't think they were seriously mad at him so much as giving him a hard time, which he probably exaggerated for the sake of storytelling. If they were seriously mad he'd have to be a complete idiot to keep doing it, and even more of an idiot to talk about it publicly. Makes no sense at all, imo.

He's still dumb for talking about a female coworker like that in public. It should've stayed a joke among friends.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that if they're friends and he was okay with saying that and letting it come out publicly then he was sure that Tappen at the very least won't be mad at all when she hears it.

That’s certainly a possibility. It’s also possible that things discussed between friends should stay private and not be blasted publicly on a podcast. I certainly have friends I make off color comments with and would be pretty pissed if they talked about it in public. Or maybe he cleared it with her first and it’s a non issue. Either way, not the smartest idea to talk about it given the public nature of their work.

Reactions: Raikkonen

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Per the first article I linked above he was apparently playing it up in Portugal and both women were "screaming at him" about it. So it wasn't a secret he was revealing to either woman for the first time on the air.

I don't think they were seriously mad at him so much as giving him a hard time, which he probably exaggerated for the sake of storytelling. If they were seriously mad he'd have to be a complete idiot to keep doing it, and even more of an idiot to talk about it publicly. Makes no sense at all, imo.

He's still dumb for talking about a female coworker like that in public. It should've stayed a joke among friends.

Yeah, exactly. No need to bring it to public light other than JR was trying to add a little spice to his comments on the podcast, which is an understandable motive but still dumb nonetheless.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I disagree. She would get called a ****e and never be taken seriously again. Plus all the pervs would flood her social media with nasty comments which she would have to permanently disable.

JR is a moron but we all knew that already. Pierre would never! :laugh:
I disagree, she would be lauded as a strong women who isn’t ashamed of her sexuality.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I disagree, she would be lauded as a strong women who isn’t ashamed of her sexuality.

Maybe if she were an independent entity (actress,model or singer) but as a employee in sports broadcasting I don't see that happening, especially on a major network like NBC. Most female viewers would look at her like a silly ho and an attention seeker instead of a serious professional. Thing is, she would never do it because she knows this!

Reactions: Hivemind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It's painfully obvious who does and doesn't work in a corporate/government office right now. This kind of behavior would never be tolerated in a workplace if reported to a supervisor or HR department. Does off-color joking happen? Absolutely, but usually in limited scope with coworkers who you have that rapport with. If you do it broadly and publicly (such as on a friggin' podcast), you've removed any ability for your HR department to look the other way.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
It's painfully obvious who does and doesn't work in a corporate/government office right now. This kind of behavior would never be tolerated in a workplace if reported to a supervisor or HR department. Does off-color joking happen? Absolutely, but usually in limited scope with coworkers who you have that rapport with. If you do it broadly and publicly (such as on a friggin' podcast), you've removed any ability for your HR department to look the other way.

This.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Good for JR. The occasional outrage culture ankle biting is nothing given all the threesomes he got being the cocky asshole SOB that he's always been. Gives him, his wife and Tappen something to laugh about when they wake up in the morning.

Reactions: OvechkinTooth

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Be that as it may that doesn’t make it right to decide you are offended for someone else and then acting as if the other person is actually offended.

This even if you aren’t offended I’m offended for you approach to things is not a good thing and I’m not sure why so many people seem to act like it is some F’d up sign of progress.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Good for JR. The occasional outrage culture ankle biting is nothing given all the threesomes he got being the cocky ******* SOB that he's always been. Gives him, his wife and Tappen something to laugh about when they wake up in the morning.
Lmao gotta love JR. He was such a great hockey player in his Blackhawks days too.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I disagree. She would get called a ****e and never be taken seriously again. Plus all the pervs would flood her social media with nasty comments which she would have to permanently disable.

JR is a moron but we all knew that already. Pierre would never! :laugh:
This. And anyone who thinks otherwise is nuts. Every woman in America knows this would be the outcome.

As for Roenick, Tex is correct. Advertisers won't stand for controversy. Navy Federal, for instance, serves a pretty conservative client base. They probably do not want sex talk on a podcast that their members' kids might listen to. JR is an idiot.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
This. And anyone who thinks otherwise is nuts. Every woman in America knows this would be the outcome.

As for Roenick, Tex is correct. Advertisers won't stand for controversy. Navy Federal, for instance, serves a pretty conservative client base. They probably do not want sex talk on a podcast that their members' kids might listen to. JR is an idiot.
Really? Crazy how well female celebrities do after a sex tape. I will say your second point is correct. The type of podcast matters. I put a question out earlier that nobody answered. What if he said this on Howard Stern? The advertisers and NBC set a standard for the type of content and who the audience is. I have no idea what kind of podcast this was.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Really? Crazy how well female celebrities do after a sex tape. I will say your second point is correct. The type of podcast matters. I put a question out earlier that nobody answered. What if he said this on Howard Stern? The advertisers and NBC set a standard for the type of content and who the audience is. I have no idea what kind of podcast this was.
:facepalm: guess you know more about women's experiences than the women here.

As for Howard Stern, those advertisers literally pay for that kind of content. Not so on a hockey podcast. Yes it matters, and Roenick should have known that.

EDIT: come to think of it, though. Even on Stern it might have violated NBC policy. Saying something like that about a coworker on any public forum might get him suspended because NBC doesn't tolerate that. The org I work for has a policy about employees' personal social media, for instance, and people get in trouble sometimes for posts that reflect poorly on the org or otherwise potentially harm the work.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Be that as it may that doesn’t make it right to decide you are offended for someone else and then acting as if the other person is actually offended.

This even if you aren’t offended I’m offended for you approach to things is not a good thing and I’m not sure why so many people seem to act like it is some F’d up sign of progress.

This isn't about being offended (and how convenient for people to bring up the "you can't decide if someone else is offended" argument at this juncture compared to the infinite times posters will declare that it's wrong for people to be offended by X, Y, or Z).

This is about it being a completely inappropriate comment to make about a coworker.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It’s harassment. Period end....whether you agree or not. The baseline is that if literally *anyone* is offended by your remarks (the individual, another co-worker, a vendor that works for your company, or a 3rd party visiting your company), then the company can be liable. It’s just that simple.

Now, there are multiple ways to handle and dole out punishment. The severity of this one makes me think it’s not a first offense. Not behind the scenes at least.

Plus all the media driven harassment that has come to light over the past few years has changed the tolerance levels to an extreme. Rightfully so considering some of the cases that were ignored (Weinstein, Murdoch, Lauer....just to name a few).

JR should have known his landscape. Both industry wide and personally.

It is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Or, her actual response.
Statement from Kathryn Tappen on Jeremy Roenick: “While Jeremy and I continue to be good friends, what he said was unacceptable, especially among workplace colleagues. I do not condone his comments.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia