League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I dunno it seems like a sane response to suspend/****can someone openly talking about wanting to **** a co-worker but maybe I'm just weird!

That's not what it sounds like to me. It sounds like JR was just riffing about his wife's friend in a way they're probably all used to and NBC didn't like it. I seriously doubt his wife's friend wanted her friend's husband fired for making jokes about their vacation basically coming off like an episode of Three's Company.

Same goes for his other comments about Sharp and Carter. Fairly self-deprecating, very mildly blue humor. Unless there are quotes I've not seen.

Honestly, comedians and entertainers say much worse crap every day. This is probably just an excuse for NBC to get rid of him based on some other motive.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The takeaway from it should be that just because you're sitting in front of a mic doing a podcast doesn't mean you can ramble about whatever comes into your head like you're sitting at a bar talking shit. People are going to hear it...possibly people who will want to fire you.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
This is actually my profession. Not a chance those comments about KT and Sharp and even Carter could pass thru the industry without damage coming. Advertisers flip out. You just cant do that. JR lost his mind. Navy Federal and Honda and Pepsi aren't going to put up with that.
Maybe you're right. I bet Tappen just laughed at it with JR and his wife though.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
This is actually my profession. Not a chance those comments about KT and Sharp and even Carter could pass thru the industry without damage coming. Advertisers flip out. You just cant do that. JR lost his mind. Navy Federal and Honda and Pepsi aren't going to put up with that.

I'm amazed people actually care. Most people I know hit mute when intermission comes on or do other things in life other than listen to a bunch of overpaid media pundits. It's incredibly stupid for them to go into a field where a lot is expected professionally and everything is image and make dumb comments. Indeed the sponsors are the biggest concern and it created the debacle Youtube is now. The NHL Network is a joke also. I can't believe folks actually care or watch what they have to say. There is a big world with lots of things to do beside care what a bunch of washed up NHLer's have to say. Just play hockey and bring back the 80s.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well, Ive read up a bit. I guess there was already a tension between JR and his bosses. Just a bit of probability he likes to talk a bit too much and theyre uncomfortable about it... but I guess they hired him exactly because of that side of his persona.

So his comments could be a little like middle finger for some uncertain group of ppl above him too. Maybe.

We can all understand him, but Tex is right - you cant say it.

PS: If they really let to listen the interview and edit it before airing - JR knew what he said. And still wanted to air it exactly like that. They will teach him a lesson and let him go back on air.

PPS: I like this guy, maybe because Im an honest man myself and dont like to be limited in my talking.

PPPS: KT is charming too. Is it prohibited on your side of the ocean nowadays?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I dare you to say that about one of your coworkers and see how your HR department responds.
I dont know, man. I think my HR department doesn't give a flying f*** what I was saying about one of my friends in my off-hours. Do your job well, get paid and go home. That's about it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I dare you to say that about one of your coworkers and see how your HR department responds.

It wasn't just some random co-worker, though. It was a friend of his wife (and thus him) and the topic was their latest vacation together. Do you go on vacations with people you barely know at work? For all we know they could've joked about it together in the past, which may be why he didn't think it was off limits.

Either way, even if it wasn't out of bounds per his relationship with Tappen, it was professionally stupid.

Unless he was TRYING to get fired for some unseen, brilliant reason...

Reactions: Corby78

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
That's not what it sounds like to me. It sounds like JR was just riffing about his wife's friend in a way they're probably all used to and NBC didn't like it. I seriously doubt his wife's friend wanted her friend's husband fired for making jokes about their vacation basically coming off like an episode of Three's Company.

Same goes for his other comments about Sharp and Carter. Fairly self-deprecating, very mildly blue humor. Unless there are quotes I've not seen.

Honestly, comedians and entertainers say much worse crap every day. This is probably just an excuse for NBC to get rid of him based on some other motive.

my thoughts exactly. Look at what was said and it’s clear when he is joking around and it’s clear when he is serious. He praises each one professionally. The jokes are very similar to what any group of friends would say. This is a clear over reaction, or an excuse for getting rid of somebody they don’t want. I hope he fights this.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

it happens all the time in my office, but we get along and are friends. An yes this involves females too. We all know we are joking and having fun. I will say JRs mistake was taking it to a podcast. He should know there are way too many sensitive snowflakes in the world, ready to ready to riot at the drop of the hat.

let me ask this question? If he would have gone on Howard stern and said this would people have flipped out? What if all of them would have been sitting there and laughing? We get sooo focused on words we never look at the context and intent.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
I wonder if Tappen would have received the same backlash had she said that she'd like to have a threesome with her husband and JR in a pool.
I wonder if EJ Hradek struggle with being taken seriously because people see him as a sex symbol and not a serious reporter?

If you read JR's comments he himself mentions that she's conscious and trying to fight against being seen as a "pretty face" as opposed to a great and dedicated sports journalist.

Now, I do think this has been blown out of proportion, but making the jokes at the time and bragging about them on a podcast are two different things, I think people just need to clock that you can't flippantly talk about women like that.

And again, I do agree that if it was a woman making the same jokes about a man no one would bat an eye, but men don't have to deal with a lot of the negatives that come out of objectification.

Seems like everyone involved (meaning JR and anyone trying to put his head on a stick) needs to pull their head out their ass about 25% on this one

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
for context:

Jeremy Roenick suspended for 'making inappropriate comments' about his co-workers, NBC says - CNN

Roenick suspended by NBC Sports for inappropriate comments

First link has more quotes but 2nd has the context related to Carter. We're assuming the straw that broke the camel's back was in relation to Tappen, but I wonder if what he said about Sharp rubbed someone the wrong way.

Only thing I can figure (since I didn't listen to the podcast) is maybe JR ran with the wild peacocking story about his wife and Tappen and realized he may have said too much then tried to walk it back by talking about her professional status, but NBC decided they needed to send him a message in order to protect her credibility, whether or not they're friends.

But suspending the guy indefinitely? Seems harsh when a private rebuke would've done just as well, and it would've gained much less attention. Someone else must have complained.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
for context:

Jeremy Roenick suspended for 'making inappropriate comments' about his co-workers, NBC says - CNN

Roenick suspended by NBC Sports for inappropriate comments

First link has more quotes but 2nd has the context related to Carter. We're assuming the straw that broke the camel's back was in relation to Tappen, but I wonder if what he said about Sharp rubbed someone the wrong way.

Only thing I can figure (since I didn't listen to the podcast) is maybe JR ran with the wild peacocking story about his wife and Tappen and realized he may have said too much then tried to walk it back by talking about her professional status, but NBC decided they needed to send him a message in order to protect her credibility, whether or not they're friends.

But suspending the guy indefinitely? Seems harsh when a private rebuke would've done just as well, and it would've gained much less attention. Someone else must have complained.
When I listened I thought it was a bit of a dumb comment/joke to bring up as an anecdote, but did very much come across as "here's a joke/funny story, here's what I actually think about her as a person"

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
nope, her popularity would have increased and it would have been a good move for her.

I disagree. She would get called a whore and never be taken seriously again. Plus all the pervs would flood her social media with nasty comments which she would have to permanently disable.

JR is a moron but we all knew that already. Pierre would never! :laugh:

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad