League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2022-23 season, Vol. 4, Off-season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Also even if Hughes probably won't get better it's fine to make him the C. He's signed long term and is very good.

Just having a little fun here in the doldrums of the offseason. Where are the trades BMac?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Definitely looking forward to seeing how he survives when NHL vets are up in his face, taking away space and punishing him to the body.
That and forcing him to defend will be challenges early on. But he's fairly advanced physically for his age, at least for what frame he does have. At times he'll try to do too much and turn pucks over so that'll be a process. But the will, the shark-like instincts to lurk in softer areas and the release are elite. I don't doubt he pots 40+ this year if he stays healthy.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Theres a lot for him to learn and overcome - including how to sustain 82-game seasons where teams’ best shutdown defensemen will be assigned to him every single night - but there’s no denying he has a lot of skill.

I just think it’s unfair when fan bases make unrealistic assumptions or forecasts about a guy’s success level before he’s played a single NHL game, much less an entire year. If he had a 25G/60P season that would be hugely impressive for a rookie and very promising, but I suspect would be seen as some sort of ’bust’ by certain overenthusiastic Hawks fans (and rival fans).

And while there are always the Ovechkins, Crosbys, Matthews and McDavids who live up to (or exceed) their first overall expectations, people sometimes forget that guys who excel at junior/prospect levels don’t always go on to be the best players in the NHL. Taylor Hall, Bedard’s likely linemate, is a great example of that. Bedard will almost certainly have a terrific career, but I hope people are ready for the inevitable growing pains along the way and less-than-definite ceiling.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

grandpa-abe-exit.gif

Jun 15, 2007
Can Booner Jenner (not a real name) even continue as captain after this?

Also can Jarmo still be the GM of the cbj after he puts out a statement saying he investigated and everything is fine and nothing bad happenned when something clearly did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad