League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2022-23 season, Vol. 4, Off-season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Very different markets though. Winnipeg finds it difficult to attract top players so they have to suffer long term financial pain for what they hope will be short term playoff success, I suppose?
And what is funny is the players are punished financially because Canadian dollar. So you better love it there.

I always wonder why a kid playing college football would choose Michigan or Notre Dame over Miami, FSU, Georgia, etc. I’m definitely going south for many reasons. :)

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
And what is funny is the players are punished financially because Canadian dollar. So you better love it there.

I always wonder why a kid playing college football would choose Michigan or Notre Dame over Miami, FSU, Georgia, etc. I’m definitely going south for many reasons. :)
I would like to think that some players take a pay cut in order to play for a team in a city that is important to them.

I don't think Winnipeg would be one of those cities though :laugh:

Reactions: DWGie26

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I would like to think that some players take a pay cut in order to play for a team in a city that is important to them.

I don't think Winnipeg would be one of those cities though :laugh:
Perhaps they took a slight pay cut but...

Both of these players wanted out. Have been for a while, really. I wonder if they got a better idea of what their market would look like as a free agent while they were on the trade market.

Because i mean... there were reports that there aren't any interest on Scheifele. Not once but couple of different times during the summer. Like Kuznetsov, he has his (different) red flags. Would he have gotten 7 years elsewhere? I could easily see a scenario where he doesn't, atleast not at that salary.

Hellebuyck is a goalie who turns 31 before his next contract kicks in. Would he have gotten 7 years elsewhere? Possibly. At that same salary? Ehhh... i think that Sorokin extension didn't do him any favours. There were also reports that he wants to win. I don't think any of the realistic cup favourites would have given him that contract because it does carry a quite a bit of risk.

Seems like a win-win for both parties, atleast short-term, but i'm not that shocked that they ended up staying and signing those contracts.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Perhaps they took a slight pay cut but...

Both of these players wanted out. Have been for a while, really. I wonder if they got a better idea of what their market would look like as a free agent while they were on the trade market.

Because i mean... there were reports that there aren't any interest on Scheifele. Not once but couple of different times during the summer. Like Kuznetsov, he has his (different) red flags. Would he have gotten 7 years elsewhere? I could easily see a scenario where he doesn't, atleast not at that salary.

Hellebuyck is a goalie who turns 31 before his next contract kicks in. Would he have gotten 7 years elsewhere? Possibly. At that same salary? Ehhh... i think that Sorokin extension didn't do him any favours. There were also reports that he wants to win. I don't think any of the realistic cup favourites would have given him that contract because it does carry a quite a bit of risk.

Seems like a win-win for both parties, atleast short-term, but i'm not that shocked that they ended up staying and signing those contracts.
I'm not shocked either - but I was surprised when I saw they had BOTH signed. Thought one of them might have gone elsewhere.

They are both excellent players. Helleybuck is up there with the best as a goalie.

Schiefele is one of those guys who flies under the radar and perhaps doesn't get talked about as much as he probably should. Point per game player his previous 6 seasons. Career PPG of .892.
Numbers down a little this past season but he upped his goal scoring game and scored 42 goals. Not to be sneezed at. That's damn impressive. Not sure his defensive game is all there though?

I like Winnipeg - wouldn't mind at all if they won a Cup. But I'm not sure they have all the pieces they'll need. This at least keeps them in the playoffs, you'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese