League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2022-23 season, Vol. 4, Off-season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Couple more Babcock highlights:

- ''Most surprisingly, apparently several of these incidents happened at Babcock’s house. In at least one of the incidents reported to Whitney, a young player was invited for lunch, told to take out his phone, had Babcock flip through his photos and then told him to leave… without lunch.''

- ''Some other stories about Babcock were shared. One older player who hasn’t quite cracked the NHL yet said that he was sitting on the bench in an empty arena taping his stick before the final preseason game in Anaheim. Babcock came and sat next to him, said something along the lines of “this is pretty amazing isn’t it?.” When the player he agreed, Babcock continued; “soak it in, it’s the last time you’ll ever be on an NHL bench.”''

The player who was told to leave Babcock's house without lunch once Babcock had seen his phone...this un-named player was later asked about the incident. He stated, "apparently, coach isn't a fan of midget pron."

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
These are mostly rich 20 year olds with girl friends and wives that look like super models. I cant believe I wanted Babs way back then.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Saw a couple of NHL players say there's no comparison between Torts and Babcock. Torts tells you straight up what he thinks, even if you don't like it - but there are no games. Babcock, they said, never tells you what he thinks - he just f***s with you.

Block

Feb 14, 2005
- ''Some other stories about Babcock were shared. One older player who hasn’t quite cracked the NHL yet said that he was sitting on the bench in an empty arena taping his stick before the final preseason game in Anaheim. Babcock came and sat next to him, said something along the lines of “this is pretty amazing isn’t it?.” When the player he agreed, Babcock continued; “soak it in, it’s the last time you’ll ever be on an NHL bench.”''
That's just evil.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
At this risk of over-quoting... this last Friday from Charlie Pierce:

Long ago, in another magazine, I wrote about the little town of Warroad in Minnesota, and about the culture of hockey that has become the town's primary identity. No United States men's hockey team ever has won an Olympic medal without at least one player from Warroad. The town gets his name from its a trail that was important in a long, bloody war between the Ojibwe people and the invading Sioux. Its Ojibwe name was "KayBayKayNong," or "War Trail."

Henry Boucha was of the Ojibwe people. In 1969, he led the Warroad Warriors to the final game of the Minnesota state high-school hockey tournament. (Like the old Indiana state basketball tournament, the Minnesota hockey tournament was a come-all-ye. Teams from every classification played each other.) Their opponent was Edina High School, a dynastic power based in a wealthy Minneapolis suburb. Boucha was checked hard into the boards in the second period, rupturing his eardrum and ending his high school career. Warroad took Edina into overtime before losing. He won a silver medal as part of the 1972 Olympic hockey tournament, and he went on to be drafted for the Detroit Red Wings of the NHL. A popular player, his hair held in place with his distinctive headband, Boucha's professional career ended when a Boston Bruins player named Dave Forbes butt-ended Boucha in the eye. The move was so egregious that local prosecutors charged Forbes with assault with a deadly weapon. The trial ended in a hung jury.

Henry Boucha came back to Warroad and devoted his life to his tribe and to the indigenous people around the Lake of the Woods. He was a champion for education among the Native populations in and around Warroad. He was one of the strongest men I ever met. He died this week, of heart trouble. He was 72. May his spirit live among his people and may his memory be a blessing.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
1695820746742.jpeg

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

Hes so good and is a highlight reel. But hes going to get him self hurt dancing around like he still has a stop sign on the back of his jersey. That said hes fast, has sick hands and moves his ankles at full speed and freezes the D, and can snipe. Woah

Reactions: Calicaps

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Rather than just take a dig at Twabby, let's add some context.

Twabby (and for the record I agreed) suggested that a guy like Caleb Jones would have been a smarter pickup than Edmundson. A decent LD (who can also play RD) who is only 26 and doesn't have the mileage and injury history of Edmundson. And was picked up for 775K instead of 1.75 million.

Oh, and here's the other important detail. Caleb Jones needed to be better than these guys to avoid being sent down:

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Pesce
Orlov-DeAngelo

Chatfield - less experience than Jones but had a very good season with the Canes so he was almost certainly a lock for the #7 spot.

So really - the biggest question was why the Canes even picked up Jones in the first place. And it was probably an insurance move because there was talk of moving Pesce and if he'd been traded then Chatfield would get a top 6 spot and Jones would be their #7.

There is also the fact that DeAngelo is an asshole who at some point might say or do something that requires him to be launched to the moon, in which case they have the same insurance option as my previous paragraph.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
The Canes have a really strong defense but DeAngelo is awful.
Signing him was a very strange move by the Canes, but I guess he had a good season with them prior to the Flyers so they thought they'd take another punt? He puts up decent offensive numbers.

I just don't think the Canes needed another guy like that on their D. As things stand it looks like they'll get more scoring from their D corps than their forwards lol

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Signing him was a very strange move by the Canes, but I guess he had a good season with them prior to the Flyers so they thought they'd take another punt? He puts up decent offensive numbers.

I just don't think the Canes needed another guy like that on their D. As things stand it looks like they'll get more scoring from their D corps than their forwards lol
Yea, but they need scoring anywhere they can get it. They pepper opposing goalies with like 40 shots/game, but score only 2.

Will be interesting to see how they use Orlov - if they unleash him like the B’s did. Maybe use him on PP2. I’m sure I’ll be hearing all about it from my BiL, lol.

Reactions: PlushMinus

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I am really looking forward to seeing Orlov's role / how he plays with the Canes. He had a decent 20 games or so with Boston but this is the first time we'll see him play an entire season with a team that isn't the Caps. I wish him well - he was a gamer for us.

Also don't forget Hathaway is with the Flyers and looks like it'll be the same 4RW spot and role (agitating pain in the ass). Can't wait until Caps play against him but holy crap it's not until Dec 15th.

And Canes meeting isn't until Dec 18th.

Plenty of interesting stories ahead this season! I'm pretty excited about the start in a few days

crab

Jan 26, 2019

Ya he did offensively. I believe defensively he was still awful for them and being all the baggage. Head scratcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad