League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2022-23 season, Vol. 4, Off-season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Can Booner Jenner (not a real name) even continue as captain after this?

Also can Jarmo still be the GM of the cbj after he puts out a statement saying he investigated and everything is fine and nothing bad happenned when something clearly did?
Yes, yes. SHOULD they is the real ask….

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It's getting a lot harder to support the claim that NHL GMs are good at their jobs!

Just the most arrogant, unprofessional piece of shit and Jarmo's like "that's my guy."

Reactions: Hivemind

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
It's getting a lot harder to support the claim that NHL GMs are good at their jobs!

Just the most arrogant, unprofessional piece of shit and Jarmo's like "that's my guy."

Did he hire Torts too? And didn’t Torts run Dubois out of town?

It must really suck to be a Jackets fan.

Reactions: Hivemind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
For every somewhat savvy roster move that Jarmo makes, he shoots himself in the foot much harder with these coaching and front office decisions.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Spittin Chicklets dives into the Babcock debacle with a lot more detail at the beginning of the podcast they dropped today. They explain the situation and how they found out about what happened and dive into more details without naming player names. This isn’t Babcock’s first rodeo on taking players phones.

They also have on Chris Chelios (haven’t gotten to that part yet) and apparently Chelios rips Babcock as well. I’d say Babcock won’t be coaching an NHL team unless their is some GM out there who is just completely out of touch.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Spittin Chicklets dives into the Babcock debacle with a lot more detail at the beginning of the podcast they dropped today. They explain the situation and how they found out about what happened and dive into more details without naming player names. This isn’t Babcock’s first rodeo on taking players phones.

They also have on Chris Chelios (haven’t gotten to that part yet) and apparently Chelios rips Babcock as well. I’d say Babcock won’t be coaching an NHL team unless their is some GM out there who is just completely out of touch.
Considering the NHLPA got involved, I think it's safe to say Babcock won't be coaching again, period, in the NHL. Out of touch GM or not.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Theories on what exactly he was doing by broadcasting pics on phones?

Was there a stated purpose?

Seems like either some kind of shaming attempt or voyeurism.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Inre Columbus/Babcock story:

giphy.gif

Reactions: g00n

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Trying to rein in players’ nightlife? That’s the main thing that came to mind. Trying to determine who is out partying regularly?

Or if he really is just a creep, seeing which guys are “leaders” by judging the girls on their phones. Gross.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
What's wild to me is that he not only has a track record of f***ing with young players, but also highly respected veterans.
What’s wild to me is any normal human being would be eternally grateful that someone took another chance on him and gave him an opportunity to be one of 32 head coaches in the NHL even with all of the bullshit and baggage he brings and instead of being on his best behavior, he reverts to being a creepy shithead before training camp even starts. How obtuse, arrogant, tone deaf — whatever words you want to use to describe him — can you be?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

I think it's got the exact same vibe as when police do shit like this.

He doesn't really know what he's going to find, and there are plenty of people who will waive their rights out of convenience or ignorance and won't describe the encounter as malicious, but when he sees somebody sweat or something he doesn't like he makes a note of it or uses it as a pressure point.

It's an innocent enough motive on the surface but I don't doubt for a second that he doesn't correct misunderstandings that give him more power than he is allowed in a scenario like that and leans on people who give him what he wants

he's a mean spirited bully, he doesn't really care what it is so long as it's personal and sensitive enough to potentially use against you.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
What’s wild to me is any normal human being would be eternally grateful that someone took another chance on him and gave him an opportunity to be one of 32 head coaches in the NHL even with all of the bullshit and baggage he brings and instead of being on his best behavior, he reverts to being a creepy shithead before training camp even starts. How obtuse, arrogant, tone deaf — whatever words you want to use to describe him — can you be?
When people tell/show you who they are, believe them.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

They tell a story on the podcast from an unnamed player who is still in the league. Said player signed with Toronto during Babcock’s last year there. The player was asked to meet with Babcock, thinking he would be doing a meet and greet like with other coaches in the league. Babcock blindsided him and made him show pictures on his phone and broadcast them on a TV screen. Apparently this player had summer partying pictures with his buddies on his phone and after the meeting went down, his relationship with Babcock was nonexistent. Apparently this player saw decreased ice time throughout the season and had so many run ins with Babcock that he asked to be traded. Other players went forward with similar allegations, including Marner, and that’s when they fired Babcock.

It seems like this guy is just a trash human being in general.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Right?! Most normals would be much more delicate if not walking on eggshells at first…..not Babs!

I'm going with "he's a creep"
I think it’s not that at least not sexually in this instance, I think he wants to mentally dominate those that he coaches and bring them to heel if you will….shaming of a sorts for sure…..

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Apparently Babs took some psychology classes in his university days and knows just enough to be dangerous - and is obviously Clueless about what he doesn’t know. There seem to be a lot of stories out there about how he would mind-f*** people over whom he had power. So pretty much your standard old time hockey toxic boss shit, that seems to come back like a bad penny

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Couple more Babcock highlights:

- ''Most surprisingly, apparently several of these incidents happened at Babcock’s house. In at least one of the incidents reported to Whitney, a young player was invited for lunch, told to take out his phone, had Babcock flip through his photos and then told him to leave… without lunch.''

- ''Some other stories about Babcock were shared. One older player who hasn’t quite cracked the NHL yet said that he was sitting on the bench in an empty arena taping his stick before the final preseason game in Anaheim. Babcock came and sat next to him, said something along the lines of “this is pretty amazing isn’t it?.” When the player he agreed, Babcock continued; “soak it in, it’s the last time you’ll ever be on an NHL bench.”''

• Wow
Reactions: usiel and Hivemind
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad