Confirmed with Link: NHL pauses 2019-20 season II - MOD WARNING IN POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
correct

People can spread it without showing symptoms

This is true, although it is evidently far less likely.

Making physical contact with an asymptomatic person has a small chance of getting you sick, but not nearly as big of a chance if you somehow make contact with or inhale someone’s mucus after they sneeze.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Imagine being in administration for these schools and having to field emails/phone calls constantly from hundreds to thousands of parents.

What an awful, awful experience.
Word.

I mean, we all need to accept the fact that this is a rapidly-developing, unprecedented situation. People are gonna need some time to figure things out, and not everything is going to be convenient for you.

Reactions: Lo97

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Yes.

I think his point is that there are still people going to work sick, not necessarily with the virus and he's essentially saying stop.
That makes a little more sense then!

Wish people were a little more sensitive of the times right now in general. I mean, live your life, but don’t be strolling around clearly under the weather.

A retirement home around the corner from my work is on lock down right now. Got to wonder how much of that sort of thing is avoidable if people just used common sense

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I can't imagine what they are going through.

I think eventually they will close schools once they see how many kids aren't coming in.

My girlfriend was telling me about a coworker of hers who has a student in school in Reading. They are open today, but FORTY teachers didn’t show up. She said students are planning to walk out.

I totally get it. If you are just wasting your time sitting around, why would you want to do it within the confines of a cinder block building which may already contain the virus? Going anywhere else would be a better situation.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
My girlfriend was telling me about a coworker of hers who has a student in school in Reading. They are open today, but FORTY teachers didn’t show up. She said students are planning to walk out.

I totally get it. If you are just wasting your time sitting around, why would you want to do it within the confines of a cinder block building which may already contain the virus? Going anywhere else would be a better situation.
That's crazy. Good on the kids.

A girl I went to school with who is a former teacher has started to offer facebook live lessons to kids who have had school shut down or who have been pulled by their parents. It is truly an amazing thing to see.

Reactions: Lo97 and Lady Rhian

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
That's crazy. Good on the kids.

A girl I went to school with who is a former teacher has started to offer facebook live lessons to kids who have had school shut down or who have been pulled by their parents. It is truly an amazing thing to see.

I am currently attending school to become an aircraft technician. Coincidentally, next week is our spring break, and they haven’t called off any of the weeks after. We spend most of our day in metal hangars with metal aircraft. Everyone touches everything. If one person contracts it, you can bet a bunch of others are getting it.

At 31 years of age, and in better physical health than I’ve been in in a long time, I’m not worried about me. But I’d hate to head back to school in a week, get the virus, and pass it on to those more vulnerable. I’m really hoping we at least have the ability to more freely test people in the coming week or two. Then we can really start to pin it down, figure out who’s sick, and keep the right people at home, while not completely disrupting people’s lives as is the case now.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I am currently attending school to become an aircraft technician. Coincidentally, next week is our spring break, and they haven’t called off any of the weeks after. We spend most of our day in metal hangars with metal aircraft. Everyone touches everything. If one person contracts it, you can bet a bunch of others are getting it.

At 31 years of age, and in better physical health than I’ve been in in a long time, I’m not worried about me. But I’d hate to head back to school in a week, get the virus, and pass it on to those more vulnerable. I’m really hoping we at least have the ability to more freely test people in the coming week or two. Then we can really start to pin it down, figure out who’s sick, and keep the right people at home, while not completely disrupting people’s lives as is the case now.
Well said. I'm concerned about getting it based on my history but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I got someone else sick.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

It's not just that either. I was talking with someone at work yesterday who understood that the older population was more at-risk, but he wasn't concerned, since he basically has no contact with the at-risk population in his daily life. I had to remind him that he can still be a carrier, and could easily transmit the virus to another young/healthy person, who could then transmit it to someone at-risk.

So much of what we need to do is about preventing the spread and flattening the curve, so that hospitals aren't overwhelmed and the death rate increases unnecessarily due to people not being able to get medical help. That's the problem that's going on in Italy.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
The truly horrible reality is that people will be forced to choose between their health and money, and too many will choose the latter, which will only serve to prolong this.

I'd argue the opposite.

Practicing isolation and social distance will prolong this. Going to work and exposing yourself to others now increases your chances of getting it now and shortening the curve.

To be clear, I'm not advocating one over the other. I'm just pointing out the difference.

Reactions: Lo97

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Why new diseases keep appearing in China

Something needs to be done about these Chinese "wet" markets and the country's continued involvement in the exotic animal trade and trafficking in endangered species.

I respect their culture, but not at the expense of spreading deadly illness to to the rest of the world. It’s definitely a conversation the world is going to need to start at some point.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
2 weeks before the Berlin Marathon. A lot of people run both. Wonder if Berlin will allow deferment to people who are running Boston.

Although Chicago and Marine Corps are a few weeks apart and that's a "thing" to do in running, as is Boston to Big Sur.
I did the Marine Corps twice when I was in college. Was a thing for my ROTC unit. But that was oh so many years (and pounds) ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad