Confirmed with Link: NHL pauses 2019-20 season II - MOD WARNING IN POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I'm only offended that people use this as a reason to take a completely unwarranted political swipe. The article you posted even refutes your assertion that this was a lack of clear direction. It expressly says (as I had already relayed) that the delay was due to regulatory issues that have been in place for a lot longer than the lifespan of this virus:

The CDC and FDA lifted the rule 2 weeks ago and tremendous progress has been made since. But the issue was regulatory, and not from a lack of direction from the administration.
Nevermind, not worth it. I'll stop here

Last edited:
Reactions: lopey

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
or even better, get the checkbook out :). At minimum, if you dollar cost average every 2 weeks or month or whatever, don't stop doing that. Keep to the plan.

We used to tell clients "When the market goes down, you're going to be angry..maybe so angry that you want to throw a brick through our window. That's fine, go for it..just make sure there's a check tied to that brick because that's when we should buy"

I'm liquid right now, what number do I jump back in? 20000?

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

Hmmm....Vancouver.

Same guy?

angry_asian_hockey_player.jpg

Reactions: Bruinaura

member 96824

I'm liquid right now, what number do I jump back in? 20000?

Dunno. Travel and transportation make up around 15% of the US GDP, so we're 100% recession bound and the fed doesn't have much for levers it can pull in the short term..interest rates are already crazy low and the market chewed up and spit out emergency liquidity yesterday.

If you're liquid and looking to get back in with money that you want to have access to in the next 10 years...I would hold off. There's no way to time the market perfectly, but I'd at least wait until you have momentum on your side. Don't be afraid to miss the first 10% swing up. We're only 18 trading days off all time market highs, these things usually go like 50+ days.

If you're holding for 15+ years, as always, I'd just keep buying and diversifying as if the market's aren't judged in points, dollar cost averaging every 2-4 weeks.

I've got a couple of trades I'm making, but for the most part this is just stay the course.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Dunno. Travel and transportation make up around 15% of the US GDP, so we're 100% recession bound and the fed doesn't have much for levers it can pull in the short term..interest rates are already crazy low and the market chewed up and spit out emergency liquidity yesterday.

If you're liquid and looking to get back in with money that you want to have access to in the next 10 years...I would hold off. There's no way to time the market perfectly, but I'd at least wait until you have momentum on your side. Don't be afraid to miss the first 10% swing up. We're only 18 trading days off all time market highs, these things usually go like 50+ days.

If you're holding for 15+ years, as always, I'd just keep buying and diversifying as if the market's aren't judged in points, dollar cost averaging every 2-4 weeks.

I've got a couple of trades I'm making, but for the most part this is just stay the course.

thanks dude, it's the 401k. Put it in cash at about 28000. I would like to pull from it in 10 if possible, no way the paper industry is going to last past then lol. Honestly think it goes down after the 1st and 2nd quarter numbers anyways, thinking 18-19k

Reactions: BrainOfJ

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
I wonder what type of training regime athletes will do during this "break"? If this goes on for an extended period I bet it would be a huge advantage if the B's all committed to staying as close to game shape as possible.
On another note, if the season is salvaged in some way...what a benefit the rest to be to players like Chara...
I wonder how many players own their own indoor arena (like Wendel Clark)...

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

This is really good advice I think. I wish I was more facile with options, because with the extreme volatility we're bound to see in the coming weeks, I think there are some real opportunities to mitigate the market downturn.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
You didn’t lose anything unless you sell.

Don’t look at any of your investments right now. That’s my advice and is the advice of almost any financial advisor looking out for your best interests in this situation
I am 67 so it is a concern. You youngsters have time to recover.

I will not sell now.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Sorry to hear that. FWIW, I lost about $19,000 the last time that I checked my investments (three days ago), and I have a conservative portfolio. My advisor recommended that I stay put, however, and ride out the tough times. I'm still several years away from retirement, thankfully.
My advisor said this year will probably be scary. The market has been growing for about 11 years and was due for a correction. This virus pushed it over the edge.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Arcade owner hopes claw machine with toilet roll prizes will 'calm people down'

An amusement arcade has replaced toys with toilet rolls in a claw machine as coronavirus fears have sparked panic buying across the UK.

Eddy Chapman, 34, has come up with a plan to halt the hoarding at Chapmans Fundland in Bridlington, East Yorkshire, after being baffled by terrified shoppers cleaning supermarket shelves in the past few days.

The arcade owner has replaced the stuffed animals in the Eddy's Maxx Grab machine with toiler paper rolls which punters can try to grab for just 30p a go.

Mr Chapman said this was a way to spread some cheer in the wake of the coronavirus crisis, The Sun reports.

He said: “I think all this panic buying of toilet roll has been loo-dicrous, and so I came up with this idea to hopefully get people to calm down.”

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Arcade owner hopes claw machine with toilet roll prizes will 'calm people down'

An amusement arcade has replaced toys with toilet rolls in a claw machine as coronavirus fears have sparked panic buying across the UK.

Eddy Chapman, 34, has come up with a plan to halt the hoarding at Chapmans Fundland in Bridlington, East Yorkshire, after being baffled by terrified shoppers cleaning supermarket shelves in the past few days.

The arcade owner has replaced the stuffed animals in the Eddy's Maxx Grab machine with toiler paper rolls which punters can try to grab for just 30p a go.

Mr Chapman said this was a way to spread some cheer in the wake of the coronavirus crisis, The Sun reports.

He said: “I think all this panic buying of toilet roll has been loo-dicrous, and so I came up with this idea to hopefully get people to calm down.”

LOL, how long before someone smashes that thing, grabs a few rolls, and runs?

Reactions: lopey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad