Confirmed with Link: NHL pauses 2019-20 season II - MOD WARNING IN POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I'd argue the opposite.

Practicing isolation and social distance will prolong this. Going to work and exposing yourself to others now increases your chances of getting it now and shortening the curve.

To be clear, I'm not advocating one over the other. I'm just pointing out the difference.
A whole bunch of people getting sick at once creates a massive burden on the healthcare system and will inflate the death rate, not to mention cause ancillary deaths when 'normal' stuff happens and the hospitals can't treat a person (like a car accident, or heart attack). This is the problem in Italy right now.

Flattening the curve to stay under healthcare capacity is the point of all of this, it's already too late to truly stop it.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
The CDC made a mistake with their approach to testing instead of using the already developed test that the WHO was using. This was avoidable and easy to avoid if we had better direction from the top down. Disorganization is responsible for far too much delay in our response. I'll stop here before it gets political.
They were already developing a test before the WHO test (developed by Germany) was available. Creating your own test is typical not only of the CDC, but of other similar agencies in many other countries. And by the time they determined there was a problem with the control reagent, it would have taken longer to get approval to switch to the WHO test than it would to fix their own test. I would say that unless you were involved in the discussions between the government and the CDC, you probably don't have any idea what the direction to them was, and might not be in a place to comment on it.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
They were already developing a test before the WHO test (developed by Germany) was available. Creating your own test is typical not only of the CDC, but of other similar agencies in many other countries. And by the time they determined there was a problem with the control reagent, it would have taken longer to get approval to switch to the WHO test than it would to fix their own test. I would say that unless you were involved in the discussions between the government and the CDC, you probably don't have any idea what the direction to them was, and might not be in a place to comment on it.
The US has tested 14,000 people. South Korea is testing 20000 people a day. But testing isn't an issue, and it's not unique to the US. Got it.

Maybe take your own advice.

Reactions: lopey

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
A whole bunch of people getting sick at once creates a massive burden on the healthcare system and will inflate the death rate, not to mention cause ancillary deaths when 'normal' stuff happens and the hospitals can't treat a person (like a car accident, or heart attack). This is the problem in Italy right now.

Flattening the curve to stay under healthcare capacity is the point of all of this, it's already too late to truly stop it.

I know. Please re-read the exchange. I'm not arguing any of this.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
You didn’t lose anything unless you sell.

Don’t look at any of your investments right now. That’s my advice and is the advice of almost any financial advisor looking out for your best interests in this situation

I was going to (finally) roll over my 401k from my old job into my new one. I went to log in to my account and start the process and decided now wasn't the time to do that. I'll wait until this blows over. I don't want to know what it looks like right now.

First time in my life I'm happy not to be near retirement age.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I had moved 75 % of my 401k to a safer place and still lost 26k as of last night

Sorry to hear that. FWIW, I lost about $19,000 the last time that I checked my investments (three days ago), and I have a conservative portfolio. My advisor recommended that I stay put, however, and ride out the tough times. I'm still several years away from retirement, thankfully.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
The US has tested 14,000 people. South Korea is testing 20000 people a day. But testing isn't an issue, and it's not unique to the US. Got it.

Maybe take your own advice.
I didn't comment on it, other than to provide facts. You said this was "easily avoidable" in a thinly veiled politically motivated message, which is complete crap. We know nothing about the efficacy of the Korean tests, when they got the gene sequence from China, or what differences there are to the US situation. Saying this was "easily avoidable" ignores so many things.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I'd argue the opposite.

Practicing isolation and social distance will prolong this. Going to work and exposing yourself to others now increases your chances of getting it now and shortening the curve.

To be clear, I'm not advocating one over the other. I'm just pointing out the difference.

I was speaking more to the business interruption and economic impact. If we can slow down the spread and flatten the curve, businesses may actually be able to get back to normal earlier and individual livelihoods may not be as affected.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I didn't comment on it, other than to provide facts. You said this was "easily avoidable" in a thinly veiled politically motivated message, which is complete crap. We know nothing about the efficacy of the Korean tests, when they got the gene sequence from China, or what differences there are to the US situation. Saying this was "easily avoidable" ignores so many things.
I'm sorry you are so personally offended by pointing out clear misteps our country has taken and the ramifications of those misteps.

Why the CDC botched its coronavirus testing

Reactions: lopey

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
FB_IMG_1584123016281.jpg

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I'm sorry you are so personally offended by pointing out clear misteps our country has taken and the ramifications of those misteps.

Why the CDC botched its coronavirus testing
I'm only offended that people use this as a reason to take a completely unwarranted political swipe. The article you posted even refutes your assertion that this was a lack of clear direction. It expressly says (as I had already relayed) that the delay was due to regulatory issues that have been in place for a lot longer than the lifespan of this virus:
the biggest limitation in diagnostics is not the technology, but rather the regulatory approval process for new tests and platforms. While this process is critical for ensuring safety and efficacy, the necessary delays often “hamper the willingness and ability of manufacturers and laboratories to invest resources into developing and implementing new tests,” he says.
The CDC and FDA lifted the rule 2 weeks ago and tremendous progress has been made since. But the issue was regulatory, and not from a lack of direction from the administration.

member 96824

You didn’t lose anything unless you sell.

Don’t look at any of your investments right now. That’s my advice and is the advice of almost any financial advisor looking out for your best interests in this situation

or even better, get the checkbook out :). At minimum, if you dollar cost average every 2 weeks or month or whatever, don't stop doing that. Keep to the plan.

We used to tell clients "When the market goes down, you're going to be angry..maybe so angry that you want to throw a brick through our window. That's fine, go for it..just make sure there's a check tied to that brick because that's when we should buy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad