OT: NHL Offseason (All non-Stars NHL talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Other than the penalty killing (which is a big yikes) that's literally the exact same role he has had the past 2 seasons with Dallas. Only been 1 game and Babcock is tearing into him...does he think hes on a PTO orrr

Last edited:

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
I think it's sorta funny that a number of Leaf fans see this as a bargain depth signing when in reality they got what they paid for; a replacement level player. He'll be in the press box a lot this year under Babcock. Other than faceoffs he's a complete non-factor.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Anything more than a limited minutes fourth line role and some 2nd unit PP time and Spezza will really hurt the Leafs . Thats how it was last season and i sincerely doubt he found the fountain of youth over the summer.

If Spezza plays terrible and loses the Leafs some games the Leafs fans and media might start to tear him a new one with how he was talked up by some. Guess that happens when you never watch western conference games and only remember the Sens Spezza.

I randomly started reading Leafs fans comments about it and they're blaming Babcock . Yeessh . No Spezza is 36 and close to the end . He ain't good any more ....

Last edited:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I guess Big Buff is considering retirement which is why he’s taking his personal leave. Would be leaving 14M on the table by retiring.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Winnipeg has had such a horrid offseason already, and that's before we know what happens with Laine and Connor.

They were a Cup favorite not even two years ago and now they're looking like a bubble team. If they lose one of Laine or Connor, I'm not even sure they'd get that.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I'd think if Buff retires, they'll trade Ehlers for Faulk, sign Connor and Laine, and be on their way...

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
They're still not nearly as strong of a team as they were. Their RHD would go from Buff - Trouba - Myers to Faulk - Pionk - Niku in a single offseason (assuming they even get Faulk). I think they keep Laine, but that relationship is looking rather damaged.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Winnipeg needs it's own "x days without incident" meme going.

Their D definitely looks horrible without Buff. It didn't look good with him either. If Buff does retire, Chevy HAS to make a deal. And he's gonna have to overpay a bit too you would think. Faulk is gonna be a UFA, so unless they wanna sign him he won't be any help past this season. Risto is...whatever. But he's under contract at least.

Their forward group without Connor and Laine is definitely not great and it reminds me of Dallas's last season. I think Connor will be there opening day though. Laine who knows.

Reactions: Kcb12345

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If Buff retires and Connor and Laine don't sign anytime soon the Jets are not making the playoffs and are probably the worst team in the division . Their defense is suddenly just Morrissey and a bunch of questionsmarks and their forwardcore has 2 gigantic holes until Laine and Connor sign.

By the way if they try to make a move they're not getting back full value either because everybody can see the desperation and will try to fleecce them.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Even if Buff doesn’t retire I’d be interested to see how an unmotivated Buff who will now likely be asked to shut down the opposition performs. 34, history of being out of shape, missed training camp, and nearly 6 months away from hockey.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
What this really shows is how fast a supposed cup window can close. 16 months ago the Jets played in the WCF against Vegas ( and the Jets team was the heavy favorite prior to the series ) . Prior to last season the Jets had been picked as the favorite by the majority of the media . Now ? The very good defense is almost completely gone. Their two young Star forwards are still not signed and probably will miss most of training camp at the very least.

So many pieces from the team that was a contender for the cup are gone or currently not there and their window looks shut for now. So much so that it might be the right call to trade some of their players over 30 for future pieces and regroup around their young core and reload for a run in a couple of years . That is if the Jets manage to get them all signed.

Last edited:

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Connor will definitely sign sooner then later. Laine is a hard one, I’m starting to think they’ll look at trading him

Jets still have some very talented forwards, but yeah there D is weaker. They better hope Hellebuyck was a good year

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Chabots 8x8 deal is probably a pretty good measuring stick of what Miro will get in his new deal.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Chabots 8x8 deal is probably a pretty good measuring stick of what Miro will get in his new deal.

There'll be a fair amount of time between each of these, but with Chabot and Ekblad's deal, I think we should feel pretty good about locking Miro in for 8 years at a relatively good rate.

The value I think depends heavily on his offensive production over the next two years. If it goes up to the 45-50+ points many of us expect, those two deals are good benchmarks. If it stays around 35ish, honestly Jones' deal (prorated for changes in the cap) is probably the best comparable.

I'd obviously much rather he break out and we just pay him.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There'll be a fair amount of time between each of these, but with Chabot and Ekblad's deal, I think we should feel pretty good about locking Miro in for 8 years at a relatively good rate. The value I think depends heavily on his offensive production over the next two years.

I mean Chabot signed a year before he was RFA after playing two full NHL season so in a year we could be looking at Heiskanen getting a new deal.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Also this little titbit is in the wierd Chabot RFA Video :laugh:

EE1h_hyXUAETDpR

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

I'm so happy we didn't pick 2nd overall in the 2017 draft. Maybe we would've taken Miro still (Nill claims we would have even at #1, but idk) but I'm just glad we fell to #3. This sounds too similar to what Johns is dealing with

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There was some reports Patrick was pissed at the Stars letting his uncle go. Don't think he would've been the Stars pick if he was available. If its something like Johns has thats really bad.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Patrick refused to interview with the Stars, we weren't picking him. The dude is injury prone and now has a soft brain.. bad pick.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Didn't make that connection. Ya know, for all the flack Nill takes for drafting off board, here is a reverse of that situation. Patrick was the consensus no. 2 pick, even though he lacked true top end skill, and maybe PHI felt obligated to pick according to the Central Scouting board, maybe as some sort of cover against criticisms. Who knows, but it does show some of the intrigue that we hardly ever know about that influences who they pick.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017

I'm so happy we didn't pick 2nd overall in the 2017 draft. Maybe we would've taken Miro still (Nill claims we would have even at #1, but idk) but I'm just glad we fell to #3. This sounds too similar to what Johns is dealing with

I think the stars and avs got the 2 best players out of that draft regardless of his injury .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad