OT: NHL Offseason (All non-Stars NHL talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
NBA and NHL are completely different sports, if NHL superstars switched teams every offseason it really wouldn't make a difference, especially with a hard cap in the NHL. A single NBA superstar can make a team an instant contender, that doesn't work in hockey. Kawhi & Paul George both ended up in LA and they are one of the favorites now, meanwhile, stacked teams in the NHL got eliminated and the best player in the world didn't even make the post-season. You need more than just a superstar or two in the NHL to be competitive.

NBA is fun for a completely different reason than the NHL, your team can go from dumpster fire to contender in a single offseason and vice-versa.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Damn, Dzingel signed for $3.375 per for 2 years.

I know he struggled in the playoffs but he's still a proven 20 goal scorer under 30.

Good deal for Carolina.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I hate ridiculous sports drama. Now if the NHL could only get rid of the shitty officiating drama. It makes me bitter. I can barely watch sports anymore because of the shitty officiating. Not as much the quality but the intent and philosophy of it to manage games, etc. I don't watch the NFL anymore. But with football I have better options than the NFL anyway. Not the case for me with hockey.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
i absolutely no desire for the nhl to attempt to replicate the circus that is the nba. i'm a sports fan, not a reality tv drama fan. the nba annoys the **** out of me and the way the players have insane power and yet still whine all the time is a complete turn off. If i were given that much power at my workplace i'd be doing cartwheels down the street.

Different strokes I guess. I find the drama entertaining as hell. Gimme that over the NHL’s lack of personality any day, even though I’d still watch hockey over basketball most of the time if I have to make that choice.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
NHL has a different personality but not necessarily a lack of though. It’s sort of a visa-versa between the two leagues.

After offseason signings/trades the NBA is basically set with the top 6-8 teams heading into and throughout the postseason. An injury to a top 3 player could easily collapse an NBA team.

Midway through a season in the NHL a team not doing as well as though can still turn it around; make a significant or a few small trades, call-ups, goalie/coach change, etc. I myself enjoy watching a team play through a full season rather than walk through it and begin it in the playoffs.

That’s exactly what happened this season with the Blues and Lightning. Who saw that coming.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Neal is the less stinky trash still could bounce back to 40 points.

Yea but both are bad contracts. Calgary saves ~10M over the life of this, as well as a bit of cap space.

Neal also looked putrid last year. Maybe McDavid can resurrect him, but I'd be surprised.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Yea but both are bad contracts. Calgary saves ~10M over the life of this, as well as a bit of cap space.

Neal also looked putrid last year. Maybe McDavid can resurrect him, but I'd be surprised.

True didn’t think about the money side of things. Guess they also shed 0.500M for the next four seasons. Every little bit helps.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Parise doesn't really get to have an opinion about the direction of the team when his contract is largely whats handicapping it. Now Minnesota presumably tries to start a rebuild while navigating Zucc's contract on top of Parise and Suter's.

giphy.gif

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I want them to hire Mo as new GM just to watch that car crash even harder. Hell allow him to work as your GM from Arizona never traveling to Minnesota once.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Zucc is also now entombed on that sinking ship with that contract. Also a win, as Colorado was in on him as well.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean Zucc went for the money and the term with heavy protection. He knew what he was getting himself into when he signed there but its a ton of money so i don't blame him.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I honestly could see them shipping Zucc off quick if things go tits up next season. Just to get ahead of it after another regime change.

Not saying bring him back, but Hanzal’s money will be off the books...

Last edited:

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Money is more important than winning for some guys. Luckily we got Pavelski over Zucc who wants to win rather than chase money.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Money is more important than winning for some guys. Luckily we got Pavelski over Zucc who wants to win rather than chase money.

Yea, Pavelski certainly wasn’t chasing money when he signed for 21M with us.

Players should always take the money.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Dammit Minnesota, I was hoping Fenton would stick around for a couple of years to finally give us a dumpster fire team in the Central that everyone else can farm for easy points. :(

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
What a great deal for the Canes with Gardiner. I wonder if he played himself waiting too long and had to settle for a lesser contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad