NHL News/Notes XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Undeserving players will always be nominated and win awards they shouldn’t like Doughty. The media is just as impressionable as fans even though they’d like to believe they’re not. Especially in the current world of social media, the media is losing objectivity because the writers don’t feel the need to sacrifice their fandom to do their jobs. The Maple Leafs have a huge fan base, and a lot of media members who don’t even hide that their fans, particularly at new gen publications like The Athletic. So it should come as no surprise that Rielly is being pushed as a Norris candidate and that it’s affecting the media at large.
Pretty much, but it is not like the voters were ever very good to begin with. (See all the players voted for in wrong positions)

Reactions: Sandisfan

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I still think it's beyond ridiculous that no Pacific Division team has ever been in a January 1 WC and this is going to be the 12th iteration of it. With a former Pacific div team hosting, the NHL is definitely trolling the Pacific at this point.

I honestly thought it'd be Vegas, and they would give Nashville the 2021 WC.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
All teams head to Europe (eventually).

No confirmation (yet) as to if this will happen.

(I think that Gackle wants a European trip in his passport)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Very curious to see how the Norris voting goes this season if Giordano, Reilly and Burns can keep up their paces. While their point totals are close, I think its is interesting to note that Burns leads his entire team in points whereas Reilly and Giordano are 3rd and 5th on their own teams, respectively.

That should count for Burns being more important, but I have a feeling that Giordano's ridiculous +/- will win him the Norris.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Very curious to see how the Norris voting goes this season if Giordano, Reilly and Burns can keep up their paces. While their point totals are close, I think its is interesting to note that Burns leads his entire team in points whereas Reilly and Giordano are 3rd and 5th on their own teams, respectively.

That should count for Burns being more important, but I have a feeling that Giordano's ridiculous +/- will win him the Norris.

The voters will find some arbitrary reason to vote for whoever.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

I think Burns having Karlsson will eat into his votes. It's a supreme luxury to have a generational defenseman share the load.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
It was believed by some insiders that it would likely end up as a 5-6 year deal. They only buy 1 year's worth of UFA, so he has an opportunity to cash in big in 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille