NHL News/Notes XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm thinking they brought in Muzzin so that he's there to replace Gardiner next year. There's no way they're going to be able to pay Gardiner on top of everyone else they have also have to pay

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I'm thinking they brought in Muzzin so that he's there to replace Gardiner next year. There's no way they're going to be able to pay Gardiner on top of everyone else they have also have to pay
They have about 12 million in space right now if the cap goes up to 84 for next year. Marner is going to get around 10. They’ll have 15 players signed for 82 million. They’re obviously going to have to move out a lot of money and hope that they can get high level production from players on ELCs. They’re already trying to move Zaitsev and I’m sure they wish they could move Marleau but that won’t happen. They’re in a difficult spot.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They have about 12 million in space right now if the cap goes up to 84 for next year. Marner is going to get around 10. They’ll have 15 players signed for 82 million. They’re obviously going to have to move out a lot of money and hope that they can get high level production from players on ELCs. They’re already trying to move Zaitsev and I’m sure they wish they could move Marleau but that won’t happen. They’re in a difficult spot.

Just remember that the cap figure is including Nathan Horton's cap figure as part of that so they have more to work with than that but it'll still require some movement.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

I imagine they'll be able to move Marleau. It might cost them a first round pick, or even an asset like Kapanen, but they will be able to do it.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm waiting for DW to get some credit from the Toronto media for holding firm on not giving Marleau that 3rd year. It would have limited us, much like it's limiting the Leafs

Why? He also lost out on Marleau for two seasons. TML knew what they were doing.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I imagine they'll be able to move Marleau. It might cost them a first round pick, or even an asset like Kapanen, but they will be able to do it.

I just don't see Marleau waiving his NMC to go anywhere and don't give me the NMC isn't used to prevent a trade when that simply isn't true. Just look at Seabrook.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I just don't see Marleau waiving his NMC to go anywhere and don't give me the NMC isn't used to prevent a trade when that simply isn't true. Just look at Seabrook.
This. Why on earth would Marleau waive? Babcock loves him and will play him next season. No Leafs's prospect is going to force him down the lineup or into the press box. He's playing out that contract.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This. Why on earth would Marleau waive? Babcock loves him and will play him next season. No Leafs's prospect is going to force him down the lineup or into the press box. He's playing out that contract.

Marleau would only waive if he's done playing which I sincerely doubt will be the case even with his struggles this season. The Leafs are not going to fight Marleau on this because that's a losing battle. He is loved by the core players there and if they screw with him, that group will go to bat for him and public opinion would turn against them and free agents will think twice about signing there moving forward under this management. Besides, the Leafs are better off doing a Hawks-like dump of a trade. Move Kapanen with Zaitsev to a place like Dallas for a draft pick and a prospect. I don't think the Leafs lose anything meaningful trading Kapanen even though he's done some good with them and Zaitsev is just not good enough.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Why? He also lost out on Marleau for two seasons. TML knew what they were doing.

I think it's pretty clear why DW should get some credit. I would also hazard a guess that they did not factor in that Tavares would become a UFA and sign there when they signed Marleau

At the time of the signing, and currently, Marleau was/is not a 6MM+. He certainly wont be next year either. All things considered, DW didn't lose out on anything.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Murray had to do something, because his bargain bin trade acquisitions aren't cutting it.

Anaheim is in a bad spot. No coach is going to take what they currently have abd make a winner out of it.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Anaheim has Eakins in AHL San Diego and chose to NOT have him come up to the craziness that is the Ducks.

Now, perhaps at the end of the season, he'll be asked to accept a promotion to NHL bench. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad